Unlimited Laundry - question at the end

TheCalicoCat

After asking here (Thanks again for all of your responses) I'm adding this for full circle disclosure & possibly additional information for others.

So we looked at our ship time, our affinity for lines (or doing laundry in general) & my husband, who is not even sailing with us, decided to purchase the unlimited laundry plan for us.

So I asked my TA (Travel Agent) to look into it so that if possible he could pay for it now.

This is what she found:

I called Holland America regarding the unlimited laundry package and was advised that this request would be handled by the ship services department. After speaking with the ship services department, they advised that this package is actually only able to be added onboard. She advised that on the first day of the cruise, there will be a basket/laundry bag in your closet, along with a form to complete. You'll just need to check the "unlimited laundry" option on the form and leave it for your cabin steward. The unlimited laundry package will be $98.00 total for the stateroom.

Now for my question:

Is there a common interval for the return of laundry? When is the last day that I can have laundry done?

I really am going to try to be a minimalist packer this time... But I need to know how many pairs of _______ to pack.

You won't be able to send it out the day before the cruise ends. In fact you may get a note in your room a few days before you disembark to send it out by 9AM 2 days before you disembark.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You won't be able to send it out the day before the cruise ends. In fact you may get a note in your room a few days before you disembark to send it out by 9AM 2 days before you disembark.

Jim

Thanks for this clarification. I'm glad that they will send out a note.

I would suggest that you call ship services again. I prepaid last summer and the fee was $7 per day. It cost more if you order it in Europe. Service was great. Turn around was usually 24 hrs. After 4 days pre cruise travel, I had accumulated a bit of laundry. Upon boarding, I asked my room steward for extra bags. I think all the laundry came back before dinner the next day. After that I. Just left the bag on the bed in the morning or before dinner. Like magic, I had clean, pressed clothes throughout my cruise. Worth every penny. Who wants to spend vacation washing out clothes when you could be lounging on the veranda watching the world go slowly by?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just so I can jot it down in my calendar...

We leave the ship on July 31, so the last day that we can send out laundry is July 29th?

That sounds right.

Do keep in mind, though, when you plan to do your packing. Do you want to do it a little at a time, throughout the day? Or is it a chore you leave until after the last supper? You may not get laundry sent on the 29th until later in the day on the 30th, as many others are also sending theirs out.

It's nice to have it come back all folded, and ready to put in the suitcase! I loved being able to do that.

Do keep in mind that when you have unlimited, there's no need to fill a bag. When you shower and change for dinner, just put that day's clothes in the bag, and send it off! Next day it's back (usually) by afternoon.

That also makes less work all around when it's at the end of the cruise.

Recent Neptune Suite laundry experience - each time it took two days to get it back. One day we sent it out and it came back later the next day. (2 days) In the past it often came back the same day, if we got it out early enough.

But in those days we also left it hanging on our cabin door at night, so it might have been picked up a lot earlier. Now the stewards want it left in the cabin, so it goes into the system probably much later now. Plan accordingly.

I have been trying to make up my mind if I want everyday laundry or fill a bag. Can I do fill the bag whenever I need it for a certain amount? First cruise coming up on Holland, will be on the Maasdam this coming Wednesday!

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In all the years we have sailed on HAL, we never got a note in our cabin about when the last time you could send out laundry.

I have been trying to make up my mind if I want everyday laundry or fill a bag. Can I do fill the bag whenever I need it for a certain amount?

Yes. The $20 per bag deal is available every day of the cruise, unlike on some other lines where is run once in a while as a special.

Reading this thread has made me consider getting the unlimited laundry for our upcoming Zuiderdam. At $7/day for 10 days, we could probably cut down packing enough to save a suitcase...one less bag to check each way.

If we get the unlimited, will it include just pressing items? My husband brings a lot of cabana shirts that really get wrinkled during travel.

Everything we have ever sent out has been returned pressed, even my DH's white undershirts. :o Additionally we have always called Ships Services prior to the cruise at 1-800-541-1576 ordered the unlimited laundry and paid for it with a credit card. SS has also, when we asked, sent us an email with confirmation.

And if memory serves me there has always been notification in some form about the last day laundry can be sent out. I believe it has always been 2 full days prior to the end of the cruise.

If we get the unlimited, will it include just pressing items? My husband brings a lot of cabana shirts that really get wrinkled during travel.

Clothes sent to be washed are returned ironed as well (if appropriate to the garment). However, unlimited laundry does not include pressing only. There is a separate package for that (with a separate charge). Or, you can pay by the piece for pressing only.

Depending on the ship, there may be a self-service laundry. If so, there are irons and ironing boards in there.

You can prepay for unlimited laundry with ship's services. I have done it many times. And, it may be a savings for you to do it that way. I have no idea why, but laundry by the bag is $20 in North America, but $30 per bag in Europe. The unlimited plan is $7 per day in North America, but $9 per day in Europe. Maybe the soap cost more there ??? .:D

However, if you book and prepay your unlimited laundry package for your entire cruise with ship's services, ahead of your departure, you only pay $7 per day no matter where your ship is sailing. Make sure ship's services sends you a receipt for the package, and definitely bring it when you board. I have never had a HAL ship in Europe balk at my prepayment of the unlimited package for $7, but you never know. As many CC members have found out, what Seattle says is gospel, sometimes has no impact on the individual ships. They kind of do their own thing.

We were notified of last day in writing. Also our wonderful room steward made sure we knew and reminded us. Ship services automatically sent us an email confirmation. I brought it with me, but didn't need to use it. I just wrote "unlimited laundry pre-paid" on the first two laundry slips. Didn't bother after that. Easy peasy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums