Anytime Dining Question

cruisebie

I will be cruising for the first time on Holland America next month on the Oosterdam. I just booked a few days ago and when I booked Anytime Dining was the only option available. I don't mind that at all, just happy to be able to cruise, but I was wondering it they seat you alone or with others? I'm sailing solo so it would be nice to be seated with others if they do that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I will be cruising for the first time on Holland America next month on the Oosterdam. I just booked a few days ago and when I booked Anytime Dining was the only option available. I don't mind that at all, just happy to be able to cruise, but I was wondering it they seat you alone or with others? I'm sailing solo so it would be nice to be seated with others if they do that.

When you arrive at the dining room, they will ask if you prefer to be seated alone or with others. Ask to join a large table. For the most part, the people who ask for a large table are willing to meet people and be congenial. Couples who want to dine alone ask for a two-top and are usually willing to wait for one, rather than sit with strangers. So both approaches to dining work.

I hope you have a lovely cruise!

The previous suggestions are all good. Be aware that during peak times, approx. 6:30-7:30 PM a short wait can often occur,but they do a fine job of seating you as soon as possible.

We also enjoy tables fro 6 or 8 in order to meet and converse with others. We've seldom had a "dud" group.

Bon voyage!

Thank you all so much for the good advice. I'm glad to know that I can request to be seated with others and especially that I can ask for a large table. I agree that conversations are usually more lively at a large table. I'll see how it goes the 1st night and then see if anything has opened up in fixed if that seems like the better option for me.

I'm so excited to finally be sailing

Sorry for cutting off my reply in mid sentence. I clearly shouldn't be trying to type on a smartphone keyboard. The phone may be smart--the user not so much.

Anyway, I'm excited to finally be sailing on Holland America. I've wanted to for some time now and finally everything has come together to make that possible. The generosity & warmth that I've seen among CC members on this board has made me sure that I've made the right choice. Thanks again!

Thank you all so much for the good advice. I'm glad to know that I can request to be seated with others and especially that I can ask for a large table. I agree that conversations are usually more lively at a large table. I'll see how it goes the 1st night and then see if anything has opened up in fixed if that seems like the better option for me.

I'm so excited to finally be sailing

One tip about sitting with groups, I find that with a table over 6 people, it can be a bit hard to hear across the table. The tables with 6 which are common on HAL ships are great for conversations.

One tip about sitting with groups, I find that with a table over 6 people, it can be a bit hard to hear across the table. The tables with 6 which are common on HAL ships are great for conversations.

Ditto that. With a minor hearing problem I like the 6 tops as it is easier for me to hear the conversations.

Ditto that. With a minor hearing problem I like the 6 tops as it is easier for me to hear the conversations.

Good point! With everyone talking at nearby tables, it can get hard to hear. Thanks for bringing that important point up. :)