Is Holland worth the extra price?

asalligo

OP,

As I responded to the other Thread you started on this subject:

IMO, yes HAL is worth the price difference:

As other Posters will inform you, there are many differences between Carnival and HAL. However, IMHO the only one significant difference between them - only HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. Since spiritual renewal is an important component of our vacation experience, HAL is (and has been for 20+ years) our hands-down choice. Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy the cruise!

Smooth sailing +++

Wish you would put actual numbers on this rather than this lurid word picture. Yes, we see scooters, maybe less than a dozen on ships carrying up to 2000 passengers. Yes, they might congregate near the main dining room during meal hours because this is a given.

But simply using the term "vast numbers of scooters" is a pretty over-blown description of this accommodation to the mobility-impaired passenger. Can you please fill in with a few more specific details. Thanks.

I wondered about the posters comments about the scooters as well. On my recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruises, my traveling companion used a scooter and she specifically received information from the ship that the scooter was NOT to be left in the hallways or the foyers. I saw none that were.

In the recent past we have found HAL prices comparably high in the Med (at the time we were shopping) and comparatively low in Alaska.

I don't think that you can judge the cruise by the price offered on mass market lines. It seems to be more related to occupancy rates/supply and demand.

We have seen so many changes and downgrades over the past few years. This has caused us to be cruise line neutral and shop for the best offer that meets our personal preferences. We will pay more for a better ship but not because of what cruise line it happens to be.

This is my instinct from looking around at prices for cruises that folks indicate are comparable: Holland America is much lower in price than the "same" cruise on NCL, and a little be lower in price than the "same" cruise on Princess.

I found that too in searching for the best deal and itinerary to Alaska. I do like HAL and enjoy cruising with them. But if othesr matched my criteria, I might be cruising with the instead.

Have cruised both Carnival and HAL. Last two years HAL but mostly Carnival previous to that. Have not been on Eurodam but on Oosterdam, Noordam, Zuiderdam, and Westerdam. IMO the price difference you are stating is definitely NOT worth it. Although we love HAL, we have found Carnival to be fun and enjoyable also. Have gotten some great deals on HAL last couple of years(Caribbean) which were not significantly more than Carnival so have chosen HAL because we do prefer it. But for the price difference you are talking I don't think the difference justifies it. Basic balcony cabins very comparable between the two, and in fact we liked Carnival's better as seem roomier. You will not find many people in tuxes/gowns on HAL either. Gala night dress code changed few years ago and we noticed little difference in "formal" dress between HAL and Carnival, and in fact Carnival probably a little dressier especially for women from our observations. Again, it depends on your preferences as HAL is a step up in our opinion but only if the price is right. But do not believe this price difference is worth it.

I am really impressed with HAL! I did the South America trip last November from Santiago to Buenos Aires and it was excellent and well worth the price! I splurged for a balcony and loved being on the balcony as we went through the fjords! The service on HAL was impeccable--friendly and responsive staff, courteous and attentive. The food was very good each day and plenty of choices. The room was comfortable and the bed was one of the best I have ever had traveling--comfy, lots of pillows, and I slept well, even during some rough seas. The entertainment was diverse throughout the ship. The shows (a different one every night for a two week cruise) in the theater were really exceptional--very talented young folks with lots of energy and even folks who have cruise their whole lives were commenting on the excellency of these particular shows. The ship brought in some outside entertainment when possible, like a tango show. I am headed off to another HAL cruise next month and can't wait! Hope this helps! ;)

I am really impressed with HAL! I did the South America trip last November from Santiago to Buenos Aires and it was excellent and well worth the price! I splurged for a balcony and loved being on the balcony as we went through the fjords! The service on HAL was impeccable--friendly and responsive staff, courteous and attentive. The food was very good each day and plenty of choices. The room was comfortable and the bed was one of the best I have ever had traveling--comfy, lots of pillows, and I slept well, even during some rough seas. The entertainment was diverse throughout the ship. The shows (a different one every night for a two week cruise) in the theater were really exceptional--very talented young folks with lots of energy and even folks who have cruise their whole lives were commenting on the excellency of these particular shows. The ship brought in some outside entertainment when possible, like a tango show. I am headed off to another HAL cruise next month and can't wait! Hope this helps! ;)

I thank you for this post. It helps me in making my decision as to whether to book such a cruise as yours!