Any pregnant cruisers??

megsteveg

My dh and I JUST found out we are expecting, and are cruising on the Breakaway on March 5th! Our original plan was to enjoy the ports in The Bahamas, but now we will be staying on the ship due to some Zika concerns. Is there anyone else around here who is also pregnant or have previously cruised while pregnant? We aren't even 5 weeks along yet, so still very early! I would like to hear what you are doing when it comes to ports etc, or any advice you may have!

Yes, of course a mosquito could bite me on the ship but I will be taking precautions to avoid it as will my husband. I just figure that the chances of being in contact with mosquitoes on the ship will be considerably less than off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, of course a mosquito could bite me on the ship but I will be taking precautions to avoid it as will my husband. I just figure that the chances of being in contact with mosquitoes on the ship will be considerably less than off.

Meg, the only time I have ever seen a mosquito was while ziplining/cavetubing/ATV riding in Belize. They were swarming around us like a scene from Hitchcock's The Birds. Every other port? Never have seen a single mosquito. I think it is just too breezy/salty/sunny for them.

I have a husband with "compromised immunity" so we have to be very careful when we travel. Belize is the only port that we take bug spray, wear long sleeves/pants, etc.

If you stick to the beach, and avoid the jungle tours, you will be fine. Well, you might not want to smell all of the morning BBQs, but that's a different problem!

Congrats, and enjoy your last moments of peace and relaxation!

Meg, the only time I have ever seen a mosquito was while ziplining/cavetubing/ATV riding in Belize. They were swarming around us like a scene from Hitchcock's The Birds. Every other port? Never have seen a single mosquito. I think it is just too breezy/salty/sunny for them.

I have a husband with "compromised immunity" so we have to be very careful when we travel. Belize is the only port that we take bug spray, wear long sleeves/pants, etc.

If you stick to the beach, and avoid the jungle tours, you will be fine. Well, you might not want to smell all of the morning BBQs, but that's a different problem!

Congrats, and enjoy your last moments of peace and relaxation!

Thank you so much for your helpful advice, I really appreciate it!!

Can't a mosquito bite you on the ship? I guess I don't get how staying onboard the ship is going to protect you, unless you stay in the cabin all the time?

24 cruise's I have Never Ever seen a mosquito on a ship.

To cold onboard, me think's.

I cruised a few years ago when i was 3 months pregnant. It was very tiring but we still enjoyed each port. It was uncomfortably hot i remember in Aruba. I didn't take any extra precautions. I was mildly sea sick but ginger ale was helpful. Since you're early in your pregnancy I'm sure you'll have an enjoyable time

I cruised a few years ago when i was 3 months pregnant. It was very tiring but we still enjoyed each port. It was uncomfortably hot i remember in Aruba. I didn't take any extra precautions. I was mildly sea sick but ginger ale was helpful. Since you're early in your pregnancy I'm sure you'll have an enjoyable time

Thank you!

My dh and I JUST found out we are expecting, and are cruising on the Breakaway on March 5th! Our original plan was to enjoy the ports in The Bahamas, but now we will be staying on the ship due to some Zika concerns. Is there anyone else around here who is also pregnant or have previously cruised while pregnant? We aren't even 5 weeks along yet, so still very early! I would like to hear what you are doing when it comes to ports etc, or any advice you may have!

I suggest you talk with your doctor and do some research rather than relying on strangers on a message board. No one can say with any accuracy that "you'll be fine." Talk to your doctor.

If you choose to continue with your cruise; agree that staying on or close to the ship would keep your risks as minimal as possible. I have bad reactions to mosquito bites and don't ever recall getting one on the cruise. I do think the higher risk is more inland and in the evenings. mosquitos like stagnant water, so not oceans.

We sailed last May and stopped in San Juan and St Maarten. San Juan had all sorts of warnings for Zika so we stocked on mosquito repellent. Didn't have any issues.

I don't blame you for taking extra precautions (in fact I encourage you to do so), but don't limit yourself unnecessarily. Statistically speaking, your chances of getting Zika without taking any precautions is less than 1%. If you wear repellent and reapply often you should have very little to worry about, on the ship or ashore.

I suggest you talk with your doctor and do some research rather than relying on strangers on a message board. No one can say with any accuracy that "you'll be fine." Talk to your doctor.

Thank you for your advice! We spoke to our doctor about the trip not long ago as he was aware of our plans to start a family and he had no concerns about us going, which is why we have decided not to cancel. I was just hoping to hear others experiences [emoji4]

Strongly agree :( For me it's not worth the risk. We were talking about getting pregnant a second time. I asked my OBGYN and he said to wait three months AFTER my cruise to become pregnant and even though I was/still am taking birth control to use lots of bug spray when in the islands. You doctor might feel differently!

The weird thing about zika is that you could never get a bug bite, but your husband could and then the virus is transmitted sexually. Anyway, good luck!

Congratulations on your pregnancy! My pregnant cruise (at 11 weeks pregnant) was before the major zika concern, so I don't have any advice on ports, but I can tell you that my biggest issue was morning sickness. I recommend bringing bland, pre-packaged snacks to keep in your room, and maybe some ziplocs to stock up on buffet items that you can tolerate if you need to eat at times they are not available (like the middle of the night, in my case). I was still able to have a great time, though - just relaxed and slept more than I otherwise would have. Now, I enjoy telling my son that his first cruise was when he was inside me. :)

Strongly agree :( For me it's not worth the risk. We were talking about getting pregnant a second time. I asked my OBGYN and he said to wait three months AFTER my cruise to become pregnant and even though I was/still am taking birth control to use lots of bug spray when in the islands. You doctor might feel differently!

The weird thing about zika is that you could never get a bug bite, but your husband could and then the virus is transmitted sexually. Anyway, good luck!

Thank you for your advice! I spoke to my doctor about our cruise not long ago when we were discussing family planning and he was not concerned.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! My pregnant cruise (at 11 weeks pregnant) was before the major zika concern, so I don't have any advice on ports, but I can tell you that my biggest issue was morning sickness. I recommend bringing bland, pre-packaged snacks to keep in your room, and maybe some ziplocs to stock up on buffet items that you can tolerate if you need to eat at times they are not available (like the middle of the night, in my case). I was still able to have a great time, though - just relaxed and slept more than I otherwise would have. Now, I enjoy telling my son that his first cruise was when he was inside me. :)

Thank you so much for your advice! I will make sure to make a stash of goodies [emoji4]

I actually took a cruise last march when I was 4 months along. It was the best vacation (other then getting jealous at my husband drinking all the good wine). Just don't take any jungle excursions and you should be fine. I've been to the Caribbean around 12-13 times and never once have I had a mosquito bite me. Have fun on your baby moon :)

Unless the doctor can communicate with the local mosquitos, even he can't say she will be fine.

I think you are making the right choice by staying on the ship. Enjoy your cruise!

Unless the doctor can communicate with the local mosquitos, even he can't say she will be fine.

True. Didn't say her doctor could say she would be fine either--I was simply suggesting she talk with her doctor and not listen to strangers who are telling her she'll be fine. People seem to so often believe that if something isn't or wasn't a problem for them then it won't be a problem for someone else.

Super interesting to me that some Doctors are fine with patients going on cruises and others do not recommend. My Sister in Law just found out she is pregnant 9 weeks now and we were all going to cruise at the end of March together and her Doctor strongly recommended her to not go on the cruise so she wont be going anymore.

Either way, last year (you may want to do your own research) I found this was a highly recommended bug spray from the CDC and a various other organizations. We used it when we were in San Juan. (I didn't want my kiddos to get bit) One of the nice things about this spray is it doesn't smell bad like most bug spray.

Congrats on the baby news!