In Australia - New Castle or Morpeth?

When are you arriving and on which ship? What is your first choice and how many hours do you have to fill in.

Michael

We arrive March 14 on the Celebrity Solstice from 8 am - 5 pm. A free shuttle takes pax into town to Queen's Wharf. Looks like we'll do a tram tour around town then check out a brew pub or two. Can't thank everyone enough for All of the kind suggestions! Being a newby to these boards, I'm so impressed!

We arrive March 14 on the Celebrity Solstice from 8 am - 5 pm. A free shuttle takes pax into town to Queen's Wharf. Looks like we'll do a tram tour around town then check out a brew pub or two. Can't thank everyone enough for All of the kind suggestions! Being a newby to these boards, I'm so impressed!

I am sure you will love it, and you will have a great experience in every port you visit.:D

Or you could visit the most beautiful place on earth.

The Western side of Lake Macquarie.

Totally agree spent all my childhood holidays at Wangi in the late 50's early 60's. Right on the lake in a cabin just along from William Dobell's house.

Totally agree spent all my childhood holidays at Wangi in the late 50's early 60's. Right on the lake in a cabin just along from William Dobell's house.

I might have met you then.

Born and Bred in Wangi, knew Bill well. Mum and dad still live there and I'm there pretty much every week.

But shhhhhh we don't want everyone to know.

In that time frame Wangi went berserk in the holidays population would tripe or quadruple. Caravan parks would be booked out a year in advance tent cities would pop up in a few spots as the miners moved in. My family originally holidayed there from the coalfields at the turn of the century, before deciding to move there.

I seem to recall going there a bit as well. we never camped or such as we stayed in luxury accommodation, queen beds, pool, spa, lake views where they even had a drink's package and all meals included. Best thing is it only costs me time and petrol to get there, the rest is for free.

I seem to recall going there a bit as well. we never camped or such as we stayed in luxury accommodation, queen beds, pool, spa, lake views where they even had a drink's package and all meals included. Best thing is it only costs me time and petrol to get there, the rest is for free.

Yeah but you cheated and pretty much married in to the place, puts you in the same category as Mrs Gut a Wangiite-in-law.

Have a full day in Newcastle. Would like to know if the 45 min drive to Morpeth is worth it over staying in Newcastle and dong their historical walking tour. Port Stevens in Nelson bay is another option- 45 min drive.

Yes I think the bridge is being repaired, and a long way to drive for a few shops.

maybe you can organise a scenic tour of the Hunter valley taking in a few wineries.

Newcastle itself has a beautiful harbour and coastal strip.It is a unique skyline and many great coffee shops. If its a nice day, easily spent walking around if you are able bodied.

There is also a lot of history with Fort Scratchley that was fired on during the war.

this might give you a good idea

http://www.visitnewcastle.com.au/see-do/historical-experiences

I might have met you then.

Born and Bred in Wangi, knew Bill well. Mum and dad still live there and I'm there pretty much every week.

But shhhhhh we don't want everyone to know.

In that time frame Wangi went berserk in the holidays population would tripe or quadruple. Caravan parks would be booked out a year in advance tent cities would pop up in a few spots as the miners moved in. My family originally holidayed there from the coalfields at the turn of the century, before deciding to move there.

My uncle l( Bill Kennedy ) lived about 4 houses towards the power station from Bill Dobell's home. He was secretary manager of the Wangi Workers Club. Great memories of a truely special place. Without adoubpt the best cream buns and pies from the Bakery.

My uncle l( Bill Kennedy ) lived about 4 houses towards the power station from Bill Dobell's home. He was secretary manager of the Wangi Workers Club. Great memories of a truely special place. Without adoubpt the best cream buns and pies from the Bakery.

Knew your Uncle my dad was the local carrier, delivered all their beer and stuff, two of my Uncles were president of the workies at different times, dad is a life member.

Oh and the cake shop was Jack Cooke. Or Cookie.

We didn't camp really, we just had a hand line and our knives, and we would be dropped off Friday afternoon and picked up Sunday afternoon.

Pulbah was where we did our survival coarse for sea scouts. We rowed a surf boat with a make shift gaff ring to the island from The other end of the lake, about a 10 KLM trip. Two letres of water some dried fruit, packets of nudles and soup. Had to last a week and live off the land and lake. Just as well I wasn't fussy about what I ate. Oysters, fish, crabs etc. There were 5 of us and we all lived to tell the story. Oh and by the way mic and gutz my dad was the first white baby born in wangi and my great grandfather built most of the early roads there. He lived 5 houses away from Dobell on the town side. For all those who may be considering wangi for a holiday the caravan park on the point is a great spot, right on the water.

Pulbah was where we did our survival coarse for sea scouts. We rowed a surf boat with a make shift gaff ring to the island from The other end of the lake, about a 10 KLM trip. Two letres of water some dried fruit, packets of nudles and soup. Had to last a week and live off the land and lake. Just as well I wasn't fussy about what I ate. Oysters, fish, crabs etc. There were 5 of us and we all lived to tell the story. Oh and by the way mic and gutz my dad was the first white baby born in wangi and my great grandfather built most of the early roads there. He lived 5 houses away from Dobell on the town side. For all those who may be considering wangi for a holiday the caravan park on the point is a great spot, right on the water.

When I get home I'll count and try and work out who he was.

And yep the caravan park is a hidden gem.

Luxury, although we did quite okay living off the oysters, crabs and fish. :D

Used to try and catch the goats as well:eek: