Internet access around Australia?

Kruzkrazy

Hello group,

DW and I will be on the Sun Princess for the around-Australia cruise starting March 7. If anyone out there has taken this cruise, maybe you can answer this question for me: What will internet access be like when the ship is off the less-populated areas? Will we be blacked out for days at a time?

As an aside, if we're Facebookless for 5 minutes, how can we possibly survive?:o

Thanx so much,

KK

If you are relying on land based transmission towers you will be without internet access for the majority of the time. The reception comes and goes depending on how close to shore you are and if near a population centre. Best to bite the bullet and purchase the ships on-board satellite internet if you need your FB fix..

I agree. You'll have reception in some of the ports but places like Darwin, Broome, Geraldton could be difficult. They will be no local reception once the ship leaves the shore. Better buy one of the onboard packages so you can keep your facebook page updated :D

There is reception in Darwin BTW, you will lose it pretty quick though once you're leaving. Whether you're stopping at Cairns or not, you can get reception back there for a little bit. In all honesty it's so fiddly and unreliable, you're better off with princess internet.

Several years we took the Dawn Princess around Australia. The Dawn and the Sun are the same class ships so this may apply to you...

While crossing the southern bight from west to east, the alignment of the ship's superstructure with respect to the satellite dish, the heading of the ship and the location of the geosynchronous satellite used for Internet access all conspired to block the satellite signals for a day or two. So, even at sea the satellite may be unavailable.

We did notice that at times the ship would execute a zig-zag maneuver which would allow Internet access most likely for ship's business.

There is reception in Darwin BTW, you will lose it pretty quick though once you're leaving. Whether you're stopping at Cairns or not, you can get reception back there for a little bit. In all honesty it's so fiddly and unreliable, you're better off with princess internet.

Are you talking about cell reception?

Why would the internet signal go out when leaving a port?

It's a satellite signal.

Hello group,DW and I will be on the Sun Princess for the around-Australia cruise starting March 7. If anyone out there has taken this cruise, maybe you can answer this question for me: What will internet access be like when the ship is off the less-populated areas? Will we be blacked out for days at a time?

As an aside, if we're Facebookless for 5 minutes, how can we possibly survive?:o

Thanx so much,

KK

On the Diamond last year generally did not have any issues. Sydney had plenty of places with wifi off the ship, and Melbourne the library has free wifi (it was Moomba when we were there, so it was closed, but wifi still available).

Are you talking about cell reception? Why would the internet signal go out when leaving a port?

It's a satellite signal.

Yes cell reception, Data via sim card is pretty much the only method I'm aware of apart from princess internet. You could try using telstra air off a pay phone which is basically a wifi hotspot though I think you'd have less luck.