SpaceX launch

bala1130

I was just getting off the Oasis last Sunday and thought I allocated enough time to make it through Customs but missed the SpaceX launch by about 5-10 minutes. So close... Was anyone else on the Oasis and see the launch? I was wondering exactly where it launched from? We had an outside balcony and could see a bunch of NASA building out in the distance, but couldn't tell what was the SpaceX rocket. Attached it a picture I took from out balcony the week before the launch. Anyone know where SpaceX is located in this picture?

1058839576_NASAPIC.jpg.36af70e57c206b88c795d4d3a85b72ca.jpg

We are on the port side of the Oasis near the front of the ship. Perpendicular to the balcony rail is due North, so the camera is pointing a little east of due north. I think Pad 39 is on the left side of the picture far off in the distance.

We are on the port side of the Oasis near the front of the ship. Perpendicular to the balcony rail is due North, so the camera is pointing a little east of due north. I think Pad 39 is on the left side of the picture far off in the distance.

Is it some sort of wide angle or fisheye lens? Still looks strange to me.

If I was to guess, it looks like the VAB is on the far left of the photo, and pad 39 should appear to be to the right (east) of the VAB, but I cannot make out the launch structures.

Is it some sort of wide angle or fisheye lens? Still looks strange to me.If I was to guess, it looks like the VAB is on the far left of the photo, and pad 39 should appear to be to the right (east) of the VAB, but I cannot make out the launch structures.

I don't think VAB is in his picture, much further to left and almost always impossible to miss. This is from MJ in January.

8916f429f27546229b1a094539d235f0.jpg

Sunday's launch was disappointing due to cloud cover. The cool thing was the landing. Way over on SE tip of the Cape

cape.gif

I think the OP's picture is of the middle turning basin looking NE. The VAB is slightly NW of T1

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Edited by John&LaLa

From all of the videos I've seen of the launch, the weather was cloudy and the launch vehicle was almost immediately in the clouds. I zoomed in all the way on the larger picture, it's kind of hard to tell, but I believe the VAB is just to the front of the grey ship and the launch complex is just to the left of the crane, which is just right of the same ship. Your still about 15 mile from the launch complex when your in port. You need a bigger lense[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From all of the videos I've seen of the launch, the weather was cloudy and the launch vehicle was almost immediately in the clouds. I zoomed in all the way on the larger picture, it's kind of hard to tell, but I believe the VAB is just to the front of the grey ship and the launch complex is just to the left of the crane, which is just right of the same ship. Your still about 15 mile from the launch complex when your in port. You need a bigger lense[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The big building in OP's photo is a ULA (Boeing) facility.

Thanks John, nice to know that a local can't find the VAB in the photo either. Your photo must be a telephoto, because the VAB seems much closer than when we look out from the balcony.

Yep, that is a 300mm lens on my Canon. :o

But even with a typical cell phone lens, that building really sticks out.

It was once the biggest building in the world by cubic feet. It is still the largest single story building in the world and boasts the largest doors ever built. They say clouds can form inside of it. :eek:

I've been fortunate to tour the VAB a couple times, it's really impressive. I'm also lucky enough to work at Cape Canaveral and worked the launch this weekend. It was fairly cloudy but we had an onboard feed from SpaceX on our TV's inside that they were streaming online, made for some neat views.

The landing is always a fascinating thing to see and especially hear!