Food Allergies and Kids

DahliaRW

We are looking into at northern european (baltic) cruse in 2018. We've only ever cruised on Disney, largely because how great they are for the kids and how fantastic they are with my food allergy.

I am allergic to wheat. I usually will just say gluten free when asked. How does Princess handle food allergies? Are there a lot of varied options?

Can anyone speak to kids activities on Princess? I know we'll be spending a lot of time in ports, but it's also nice for the kids to have something to do so dh and I can have some time without them. They'll be 9, 11, and 13.

Thank you!

EDITQUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

We are looking into at northern european (baltic) cruse in 2018. We've only ever cruised on Disney, largely because how great they are for the kids and how fantastic they are with my food allergy.

I am allergic to wheat. I usually will just say gluten free when asked. How does Princess handle food allergies? Are there a lot of varied options?

Can anyone speak to kids activities on Princess? I know we'll be spending a lot of time in ports, but it's also nice for the kids to have something to do so dh and I can have some time without them. They'll be 9, 11, and 13.

Thank you!

Can't answer for the kids clubs.

Your Gluten Free is handled very well . My DW is gluten Free (for health reasons). The head waiter will come over and tell what is gluten free or can be made right away. They will supply you a linch and dinner menu for the next day. Then you just ask what you want. If it can't e made luten free , he'll tell right away so that you can order something. Many times to make the dish gluten free is just a matter of removing the sauce or gravy.

Thank you!

If you do a search on gluten free etc there are many threads available.

Here is one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2364337&highlight=gluten+free

Thank you!

Princess is great with allergies. Talk with the head waiter in the dining room where you will be eating, and explain your allergy. Don't say gluten free - describe your wheat allergy exactly.

The head waiter will come by your table each evening with menus for the next day (lunch if a sea day and dinner everyday). He will know what items will have wheat and what items won't. By ordering the day ahead, they will be able to modify some items that normally include wheat to be made without wheat.

With an allergy, I would recommend never eating in the buffet except for lunch on port days when that is your only option. In those cases, talk with the supervisor on duty there to make sure your items do not have wheat.

Depending on the severity of your allergy, cross contamination with small amounts from other foods may be a problem. It will not be a problem in the main dining room, since they deal with it in the kitchen, but it may be in the buffet. If this may be a problem, then the buffet supervisor can get your food directly from the kitchen instead of rom the serving tables where passengers will move serving dishes and cause cross contamination.

On the first night, they will not be able to modify items to remove wheat. But you should still order from the head waiter. He can help make sure that you don't order anything with wheat.

[One suggestion for posting future questions: It may be easier if you had started separate threads on food allergies and on children. That way, the comments on the two subjects would be easier to keep straight.]

Also no idea about kids clubs - but I think you'll have no problem getting wheat/gluten free... I can't tolerate wheat, am also very strict vegetarian, and Princess excelled ... their GF bread is actually quite edible (rare in my experience!) and had by asking the night before, I had no problem getting them to substitute GF pasta (I think maize based from flavour/texture, though not completely sure). Pizza place can also do a wheat free base with adequate notice, but I found it inedible...really odd tasting flour blend and horrible texture. Would probably avoid the buffet as I found the servers generally had little idea what was in the foods (Princess does warn of this) and passengers really have little care for what they touch with what (picking up with bare hands, swapping scoops, tongs etc. around) - so particularly if your allergy is a serious one, I'd not be confident that there hadn't been some cross contamination. MDR you should be all good.

We have sailed both cruise lines. The girls love Disney. But they do not complain about Princess. The youngest one goes all the time. The older one reads the activities scheduled on their patter and then decides whether or not to attend.

They do not provide meals like they do on Disney. They do have one or two pizza parties on gala nights in case you want to eat by yourselves. You check them in at the buffet area with the staff and once they finish dinner, they will move to their respective activity room.

My grandson has peanut allergy and my daughter goes to the Maitre D' on embarkation and discusses his condition. His meals are taken cared of throughout the cruise.

We do this also.

At the end of dinner they should take the next day's order. Order for every MDR meal. Some have even ordered for Tea time (I might be remembering a Carnival thread).

If you decide to eat at another location (steakhouse), go to the MDR to order the next day's meals.