Drink Prices up?

gallivanter

Here in San Antonio - We pay maybe 2 bucks for a beer - 3.50 for a GOOD well drink - don't know about the Country Club - never been there. Yes, I have paid 6 bucks for a drink here - a 24 ounce - potent Margarita down on the River Walk - I don't care what the NCL lovers think - THEY are ripping us off - Just my country boy opinion.:D:D:D

Welcome to the big city :D

What about other drink prices? Bloody Mary, screwdriver, simple drinks with well brands.

Also, prices for beer. Is it still buy 5, get one free, with the bucket/helmet?

Also, how about the foo-foo drink of the day prices?

Guess we're spoiled in the Midwest. An $6 drink (other than quality wine) is an anomoly.

Thanks!

8am to 11am specials - Bloody Mary, Mimosa, screwdriver 4.25 :)

Here in San Antonio - We pay maybe 2 bucks for a beer - 3.50 for a GOOD well drink - don't know about the Country Club - never been there. Yes, I have paid 6 bucks for a drink here - a 24 ounce - potent Margarita down on the River Walk - I don't care what the NCL lovers think - THEY are ripping us off - Just my country boy opinion.:D:D:D

where in the world do you drink in San Antonio? Our son in law was the GM at the Hard Rock, many years ago and the drinks were more than that then. We used to do the SAntonio scene when we lived in Texas; a glass of wine ran about $4.00. I am talking 5-10 years ago. Even here in little ole Belen, we pay more than you are talking about at our Moose Lodge and thinking of raising the prices cause they are so low. Hate to say this, but you are living in a dream world with those prices. Keep hanging out at the bars with $2 beers, cause they aren't many places like that left in the world. NMnita

Take sodas for an example. While you may still find a small cup of soda at a fast food restaurant for 99 cents, or a can of soda at a convenience store at 99 cents, many at both are higher. The nicer chain restaurants nationwide have prices up to $2.00 for a soda.

NCL is not a grocery store, or a liquor store. Yes you can buy a twelve pack for less than $4 at a grocery store, but you'll pay from a dollar to two dollars for a soda at most restaurants. If you want grocery store prices for sodas, buy them from a grocery store.....

At home when you dine out once or twice a week the drink prices don't add up quickly, on a one week cruise the drink prices do add up as you dining out three times every day. Its the same with tips too.....

My personal opinion is who cares what the booze costs, your on vacation. And if you want to drink and party, then drink and party away. Cut corner & coupons the other 51 weeks of the year when your at home, not on vacation. Just think about all of the people that are employed because of the cruise industy.

If you really think about it, the cruise lines sure could have added a fuel surcharge, but they didn't, every other transportation business has added one. I went to ship something FedEx NextDay service and there was a

$ 4.50 fuel surcharge added to the bill.

So drink away and have a good time while on vacation. Cheers.

Mark

P.S. Remember this is my personal opinion. ( For all of the flamers)

My personal opinion is who cares what the booze costs, your on vacation. And if you want to drink and party, then drink and party away. Cut corner & coupons the other 51 weeks of the year when your at home, not on vacation. Just think about all of the people that are employed because of the cruise industy.

If you really think about it, the cruise lines sure could have added a fuel surcharge, but they didn't, every other transportation business has added one. I went to ship something FedEx NextDay service and there was a

$ 4.50 fuel surcharge added to the bill.

So drink away and have a good time while on vacation. Cheers.

Mark

P.S. Remember this is my personal opinion. ( For all of the flamers)

my view as well. NMNita

Do they still do the 'buy 5 bottles of wine and get the 6th free' option please? thanks [ps: was in Bandera this summer! That sure is a long way from Surrey, UK!]

Outlook positive. From the recent review of the Jewel Eastern posted here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=257542

Being big red wine drinkers, we found out on the first day that for every 5 bottles of wine you order, you get the 6th one free (they take an average cost for the 6th) At our first lunch on board we ordered 6 bottles to have sent to the room and the wine steward told us to keep all receipts from subsequent bottles ordered elsewhere. Once we got 5 receipts, we merely had to show them to get the free 6th bottle. If you drink wine, order by the bottle rather than by the glass. This was an excellent perk !

All in all we had a fantastic time. As this review is getting very long winded….feel free to ask any questions you may have….I’ve got to get back to work !

HI ALL.... Even on the DREAM... if you buy 5 bottles of wine, you get the 6th......Not a bad deal I know we enjoyed it.....

jus me...jim... the velvet teddy bear:cool:

When we were on the Dream this summer in Alaska, we managed to use the offer twice - but we did have to force ourselves to have two bottles the last night :D

When we were on the Dream this summer in Alaska, we managed to use the offer twice - but we did have to force ourselves to have two bottles the last night :D
Hi CalMac - yup - we too found on the Sun last year that if we had a bottle of bubbly before dinner and then a bottle of wine with dinner it was quite easy to get the '6-4-5' deal in twice in a week's cruise.......!

Thanks for the heads up people. I am on the Jewel in 1 week and I rechecked the wine prices yesterday. The ones I like are all up $3-5 per bottle. Since my cabin mate does not do wine I am only good for, max, 2 bottles in the week so the 6th free deal does not work for me. Guess I will just have to add $10 to my budget plan.

just back from majesty. 1st ncl for a while, but we have cruised about once or twice yr. the drinks were higher, wine higher. don't consider $8 a drink special, then $7 for a refill. wine was buy 5 bottles get 1 free. all the specials i had read about were no more. no martini clinic, no drink discount 4 latitude members, no martini specials, no $3 wine from 5-8pm. overall we had a good time. staff were mostly very good. had bad service a couple of times @ lunch. buffet very small & not very good. cabin small. entertainment very good. also the liquor n the shop was much higher than other lines. grand cayman had best prices on our cruise. by the way we went 2 cozumel & had a ball. they have really made a remarkable recovery n a short period. we do prefer other cruise lines.

[quote name='adbnva']just back from majesty. 1st ncl for a while, but we have cruised about once or twice yr. the drinks were higher, wine higher. don't consider $8 a drink special, then $7 for a refill. wine was buy 5 bottles get 1 free. all the specials i had read about were no more. no martini clinic, no drink discount 4 latitude members, no martini specials, no $3 wine from 5-8pm. overall we had a good time. staff were mostly very good. had bad service a couple of times @ lunch. buffet very small & not very good. cabin small. entertainment very good. also the liquor n the shop was much higher than other lines. grand cayman had best prices on our cruise. by the way we went 2 cozumel & had a ball. they have really made a remarkable recovery n a short period. we do prefer other cruise lines.[/QUOTE]

That is why I guess in the Bar Menu they don't call them specials but instead " NCL DAILY FEATURES" :D

Don't judge a whole cruise line buy one of its oldest and smallest ship. There are ships in every major line that don't represent its best product.

[quote name='adbnva']just back from majesty. 1st ncl for a while, but we have cruised about once or twice yr. the drinks were higher, wine higher. don't consider $8 a drink special, then $7 for a refill. wine was buy 5 bottles get 1 free. all the specials i had read about were no more. no martini clinic, no drink discount 4 latitude members, no martini specials, no $3 wine from 5-8pm. overall we had a good time. staff were mostly very good. had bad service a couple of times @ lunch. buffet very small & not very good. cabin small. entertainment very good. also the liquor n the shop was much higher than other lines. grand cayman had best prices on our cruise. by the way we went 2 cozumel & had a ball. they have really made a remarkable recovery n a short period. we do prefer other cruise lines.[/QUOTE]Boy, I am surprized no Latitude members and no martini clinic. They had both of these on the Jewel. The liquor in the duty free shops were about the same as any other ship we have been on the last few years. I do know the prices on any ships when sailing the western C are not as good as eastern and southern. Reason, I guess because the on shore prices aren't as cheap so they can get a little more. NMNita

[quote name='newmexicoNita']Boy, I am surprized no Latitude members and no martini clinic. They had both of these on the Jewel. The liquor in the duty free shops were about the same as any other ship we have been on the last few years. I do know the prices on any ships when sailing the western C are not as good as eastern and southern. Reason, I guess because the on shore prices aren't as cheap so they can get a little more. NMNita[/quote]

I found the liquor prices in the shop to be higher than other lines.

For example, a liter of JW Black was $29 on the Sun vs $25 on Valor (both on WC routes)

A liter of same ordered from NCL in advance was $58 ($55 + $3). A liter ordered in advance on Princess is $40. (any route).

[quote name='zydecocruiser']I found the liquor prices in the shop to be higher than other lines.

For example, a liter of JW Black was $29 on the Sun vs $25 on Valor (both on WC routes)

A liter of same ordered from NCL in advance was $58 ($55 + $3). A liter ordered in advance on Princess is $40. (any route).[/QUOTE]As for the advance orders, yes, I have ordered twice recently for clients and Princess was much less expensive, but on board I haven't found this true. Of course I haven't checked every brand and every type. DH doesn't get JWBlack very often, but does stock up on Dewers and JW Red. He has always found them to be, within maybe a $ the same price. I just buy whatever as it is so expensive in NM anything would be cheaper. In fact we always know when it's time to cruise: the Scotch and good gin are gone. NMnita

Archived