How did he jump to Diamond?

KillaFee

Yeah, I earned my diamond status the hard way too (well, thanks to Mom and Dad for taking us all the time). ;)

My husband and I took a RCCL cruise for our honeymoon. That was his first cruise ever. Then we took our recent Mariner cruise and he was upgraded to a Diamond member since I was already one.

I wonder what would happen if I kicked him out?! :D (just kidding of course)

I earned my way up to Diamond one cruise at a time, no double points, no triple points, and I didn't leach off of someone else's membership level. RCI is going to have to start watering down the benefits if they keep on handing out points like candy. I don't want that.

I agree, RCI gives full C&A credits for those Monarch Weekend Booze Cruise Bus Trips to Mexico that people use to get Diamond status and still have the gall to slam those who didn't "earn" their status.

I figure that if all I have to worry about is how other people attained Diamond level, my life must be pretty good. :) I also figure that it is RCI's loyalty program and they can pretty much decide how they want to run it. Over the years I think they have made a number of improvements to the program and we have benefitted. If they should ever scale back those benefits or even eliminate the program, that is their business decision to make. I don't think it would affect my decision to sail with them because while I enjoy the benefits they offer, I enjoy the cruise experience that RCI provides even more. :cool:

Unfortunately I had done the 14 and 12 night cruises before the rule as well stayed in the Category B or C suites ( I guess JS and Grand now) so didnt get any double credit. Earned my diamond the hard way. However, I havent earned the Elite on Celebrity ( just been 4 Celeb cruises ) and enjoyed the benefits .... so I cannot complain.

I was happy to find out that I got 2 credits for taking a 9 day transition cruise. I got Platinum status on my 4th cruise. I'm glad to know that my son will "inherit" my status when he is old enough to becomea C&A member. I feel he is being cheated because he is only 9 years old even though he has been on 4 cruises.

I was elevated to Platinum status after only my 2nd or 3rd cruise (can't remember exactly which on it was). Quite a surprise considering those were 7 night cruises and I had stayed in an inside cabin each time.

I just completed my 8th cruise with RCI last month... and... you guessed it - I got a letter in the mail informing me that I am now a Diamond member!!! I've never stayed in a suite... and the longest cruise I've taken was a 9 day. I also do not live with any other Crown & Anchor members. But hey, I'm not complaining!!!!!!

I don't mean to be morbid, but I was wondering how many Diamonds "sail away on the big cruise ship in the sky" versus how many diamonds are created each year. Any quantitative data or actual numbers to support the theory of a diamond status expolsion? :D

IamCdn: I have more than earned my way to diamond. If you are insinuating that my many short weekend cruises don't qualify me to be Diamond you are quite mistaken. These cruises are a fun get-way for the weekend and it is not my fault they are so accessible from where I live. If I had a ship in LA that did longer cruises when I can cruise you bet your ___ I would sail on them, but you sail what you got. Quite honestly I don't like the cheap shot at Monarch of the Seas. She is a great ship with a great crew and It is quite a pleasure to sail on her. In fact I have Three cruise booked on her for the future. One of them is only for two days and yes I will get my C&A point.

Everyone else: I did not intend to come across offensive. If I did I am sorry.

IamCdn: I have more than earned my way to diamond. If you are insinuating that my many short weekend cruises don't qualify me to be Diamond you are quite mistaken. These cruises are a fun get-way for the weekend and it is not my fault they are so accessible from where I live. If I had a ship in LA that did longer cruises when I can cruise you bet your ___ I would sail on them, but you sail what you got. Quite honestly I don't like the cheap shot at Monarch of the Seas. She is a great ship with a great crew and It is quite a pleasure to sail on her. In fact I have Three cruise booked on her for the future. One of them is only for two days and yes I will get my C&A point.

Everyone else: I did not intend to come across offensive. If I did I am sorry.

You didn't, but the Monarch 3-day IS a booze cruise party, at least it has been when we've been on board. You're right that she's a great ship with a great crew. We've ditched hosting our annual Labor Day BBQ in favor of cruising on her instead!

IamCdn: I have more than earned my way to diamond. ... Quite honestly I don't like the cheap shot at Monarch of the Seas. ...

I do have to apologize to most of you offended by my comments. Often sarcasm does not translate well on these boards.

I did not in any way intend take a shot at Monarch. In fact, I plan to be in L.A. in Feb and would plan to extend my trip to include Monarch.

I did, however, intend to take a shot at the cheap shot from another who implied they deserved better treatment (not so watered down) as the rest of the diamond members who did not "earn" their status.

IMHO everyone has "earned" whatever status they have. RCL sets the rules based on what they consider the best way to make a return for the shareholders. That is their job. They make money the old fashioned way - they "earn" it.

Oxymoron for the day - " I earn my freebies " ;)

..I just completed only my third RCI cruise. No I am not Diamond..but I am

platinum. Two points for two 12 dayers..one for a 7 day. And all in the less

expensive inside cabins.

..C'mon Eric..be HAPPY for us!!!!

Mitch

We've cruised RCCL 4X but 11 times on Celebrity - actually not 11 times but with combos of 14 day cruises and higher category cabins moved us up to equivalent of 11 cruises). Received letter from RCCL & Celebrity advising that rhe Celebrity cruise credits now apply toward RCCL - we moved up to Elite Captain's Club with Celebrity and to Diamond status Crown and Anchor with RCCL automatically. Read the "benefits" on both web sites.

RCI is going to have to start watering down the benefits if they keep on handing out points like candy. I don't want that.

I hear you. While we were sitting in the Concierge Lounge enjoying our free drinks and snacks, I was thinking that this was too good to be true - pretty soon they (RCI) are going to cut back on the benefits. We had 140 Diamond Level passengers on the Jewel cruise we just completed this week, and they had to open another lounge to accommodate the crowd.

Just watch, the free stuff will start to disappear for lowly Diamond people, and will be available only for Diamond Plus and above.

I am an RCI stockholder. I own 100 shares. Maybe that had something to do with the fact that I was elevated to both Platinum & Diamond status early??

Just a thought...

I am also a RCI Stockholder and it has nothing to do with being elevated from gold to platinum or platinum to diamond. I am currently a platinum member soon to be diamond and always stay in a JS suite or better. Sounds like you have been lucky since you haven't had to stay in a JS or better and have already made it to diamond status. I think I would be very happy and tip more on your next cruise :) . Diamond plus is next, good luck and happy sailing.

Richard

I guess I better take some more cruises because I am just a diamond (earned the hard way) before they make the benefits only available to diamond plus

I am going on my first crown and anchor cruise in January and expect many people to be diamond.

Also,I didn't become diamond early because I am a stockholder. I had to wait until I completed my 10th cruise.

trafficlaw-The coat tail diamond does not have to sail with the legitimate diamond in order to get the benefits. My son is a coat tail and now he cruises without me and he still gets the benefits.

mtchg: I have no problem with people getting the benefits early as long as it doesn't affect me. My worry is that eventually more and more people will become Diamond and that will then make RCI water down the program. If RCI keeps the benefits the same and I always get the same treatment as I'm getting now what do I care if people get their early.

mtchg: I have no problem with people getting the benefits early as long as it doesn't affect me. My worry is that eventually more and more people will become Diamond and that will then make RCI water down the program. If RCI keeps the benefits the same and I always get the same treatment as I'm getting now what do I care if people get their early.

Eric................You have done many cruises and got your status by being loyal to RCCL. You are absolutely correct when you say that you don't care how RCCL handles the perks, as long as they don't water them down for you. However, in the world as I know it, the service will eventually not equal what we have now.

A classic example, PanAm used to fly 747's around the world. The upstairs part of first class was strictly for dining and lounging. Today, PamAm no longer exists. The perks are gone on almost every airline. Cruise ships will follow. We used to have more "goodies" in our suite, no longer there now, because of the bean counters checking the "bottom line".

I don't complain as there is something about the ocean that still is a magical dream. RCCL keeps that dream alive for me. The Monarch of the Seas is a wonderful ship, and my DW and I will be back aboard in March of next year. She may be a party ship, be we don't care as we do our own thing.

Rick

C&A record-keeping leaves a lot to be desired. I have a friend who checked in for his first cruise ever, received his RCCL cruise card and noted he'd been designated Platinum!! I think all the various theories in this thread about how someone jumps to Diamond level so fast boil down to -- lucky mistake!

Holy cow!! This is the first time I checked this thread that I posted and I was more than pleased when I read everyones feedback. I guess my question has sort of been answered....He's only been on 3, week long cruises. All of them have been w/me and just regular, 7 day, not back to back or suites or anything (I'm cheap w/cabins so I can go on more cruises...I'm only 24 so I haven't splurged on the suites yet). I suppose he was upgraded because we have the same address and I'm diamond. That's funny that if they upgraded him because of me. Maybe they thought he was embarrased to only be gold next to his diamond girlfriend? (hehe). Anyway, I guess he lucked out! In the meantime my brother is ready to write a letter to RCI because it's his lifelong goal to work his way up to diamond the "hard" way and doesn't think it's fair that he got it the easy way. To that I replied that they'd just have to accompany us on more cruises...smiles all around!!!

Laura

Archived