Silver Spirits Drinks Package.

English Voyager

Yes you would have to call room service! It does seem a bit silly doesn’t it.

It is silly. The plan worked great on Windstar.

If my wife & I ordered a meal through room service and requested 6 glasses of champagne as part of the order, would they do that or would they limit it to one at a time.

We were interested in a PV, but could not justify the cost since a PV does not have a walk-in closet or a separate bath tub. It's much more for a little extra space, mini-bar and a few other, to us, minor privileges.

True, the total cost for a cabin of two would be double. But to me it seems more straightforward to discuss the per-person costs.

Quite the opposite. Quite often one guest in a room is a non-drinker or drinks a lot less than three specialty drinks per day.

That's why the per cabin cost is the valid comparison metric.

Hi,

Actually that is an old wine list. It has changed substantially. There are now only 3 reds sold by the glass for example. I have a pdf of the winelist but am at sea at the moment so cannot upload it to link to.

We are still having problems re: cancelling the silver spirits package. They told us it has been cancelled and are charging us for all spirits served since the start of the cruise BUT they have just told us they are not sure we will ever be reimbursed for the silver spirits package so we may be out over a thousand dollars. Rather worrying!

Linda

After much research (undertaken while my wife thinks I am working, but please keep that to yourselves!) I have finally tracked down a full Viking Ocean wine list that has been posted on the web.

See http://mightydin.com/viking-ocean/

A huge thank you to Mightydin for including that information in the blog.

You will see that there are a reasonable range of wines available by the glass ($6 each as at Summer 2017) and these are all included in the Silver Spirits Drinks Package. In fact Viking have very helpfully marked with an asterisk on the list what is not included in the package i.e whole bottles.

Skål:cool:

The choice changed twice during our recent 10 day West Indies Explorer cruise. If you are not sure what you would like, they are very happy to provide a tasting, along with the "included wine". We found you quickly found your preferred white or red. They are listed on a small wine menu placed on each table. They are priced at $6.5 if you are not on the package.

There is no need to state that you are on the package, just give them your cabin number when you order and their system takes care of the rest. This applies to other bars as well. In addition, if you eat in the Chefs Table, they already know that you are on the drinks package and automatically give you the premium flight of wines.

Sorry, but in the Chef's Table, they did not have a clue, poured the "included wine" which we found awful, and then seemed to be very annoyed when we asked for the silver beverage package wines. Then we waited thirty minutes before our selected wines arrived. The entire experience was terrible.

Each night in the restaurant and chefs table we had to tell them we had the package when they brought included bottles to our table. Then they brought us a wine list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a similar experience. Unfortunately, we often waited thirty minutes or more for our selected wines. The wine list for the beverage package was extensive, but none of the wines was impressive. A Google search revealed that the wines on the list were usually available for under ten dollars a bottle. Many were priced closer to five dollars a bottle.

Edited by Lobes1

We had bought a silver spirits package but have to admit to being disappointed. There just isn't any clear answer even on the ship about what is included and what not. And the selection, depending on which server we deal with, gets very very limited. At the Italian restaurant we were told it covered only wine that was specifically sold by the glass -- which is rather limited and that we could get 15 percent off a bottle if we bought one only if that bottle cost $50 or less. That seemed a bit more restrictive than we'd like so we have been trying to cancel ever since -- a rather slow process (and I notice that the more expensive bottle that we did buy had 15 percent off....). We visited the front desk last night and had to visit it again today -- and still no package cancel. We're not upset but definitely don't find the plan meets what we had thought it would. I rather wish the line had a clear outline about what was in the plan so we could have not bought it in the first place.

Silver Package covers wines and spirits that under $15 per glass. You also have 15% off the bottles that cost $50 or MORE. The 15% gratitude is included in the package price. I agree that wines are limited but you could have very nice stronger drinks or cocktails. The package gives you peace of mind as someone on CC said that you could have any drink at any time of day and don't count how much it will cost.

Were you sent the documents you are trying to post from Viking or did you find them on their website site?

I love the Viking experience, but the inconsistencies in their communications are very frustrating. I wish all of their reps and management would get on the same page

I’m okay with the package not covering the mini bars in DV cabins, but if some people are getting this, while others are not - that doesn’t sit well. It should be the same policy for all.

I have noticed that no one from Viking has chimed in on this discussion as they often do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I read the recent answer from Viking on our roll call and it states that if you have Silver package, your mini bar is re-stocked with spirits of your choice regardless of cabin category.

After much research (undertaken while my wife thinks I am working, but please keep that to yourselves!) I have finally tracked down a full Viking Ocean wine list that has been posted on the web.

See http://mightydin.com/viking-ocean/

A huge thank you to Mightydin for including that information in the blog.

You will see that there are a reasonable range of wines available by the glass ($6 each as at Summer 2017) and these are all included in the Silver Spirits Drinks Package. In fact Viking have very helpfully marked with an asterisk on the list what is not included in the package i.e whole bottles.

Skål:cool:

If you check out the first page of this seemingly extensive list of white wines, you would notice that the only one is included in Silver Package. The rest of them have an asterisk.

I read the recent answer from Viking on our roll call and it states that if you have Silver package, your mini bar is re-stocked with spirits of your choice regardless of cabin category.

I hope this is true, but don't expect it to be from everything else I read. So many people when talking about cruises say "we don't spend much time in our room anyway" or something to that affect. My wife & I do, especially enjoying the veranda. It bothers me when so many lines say "all inclusive" or "we don't say no" or "whatever you want anytime anywhere", yet I can't get a bottle of prosecco in our room as part of the package be purchased????

I hope this is true, but don't expect it to be from everything else I read. So many people when talking about cruises say "we don't spend much time in our room anyway" or something to that affect. My wife & I do, especially enjoying the veranda. It bothers me when so many lines say "all inclusive" or "we don't say no" or "whatever you want anytime anywhere", yet I can't get a bottle of prosecco in our room as part of the package be purchased????

Thread https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2578941&page=2.

Post #28 on February 1st, 2018.

If you check out the first page of this seemingly extensive list of white wines, you would notice that the only one is included in Silver Package. The rest of them have an asterisk.

You are perfectly correct in that there is only one white on the page at the top of the blog posting. However if you look at all the pages there (i.e. the whole wine list for the Homeland Cruise in August 2017) you will find 18 Whites, 18 Reds, 2 Rose, 1 Sparkling, 1 Sweet and 1 Port available within the Silver Beverage package.

Admittedly that was then and the policy may have changed regarding wine since as indicated by lhamilton and offtoalaska. However PlanoTim (post 39 above) says they have just returned from 11 days on the Viking sea and that "there were at least a dozen reds and a dozen whites on the list" that were available in the package. This is consistent with the wine list for last August posted on the blog.

As Aquidneck1 suggested this discrepancy might be explained if there were different policies on different ships but that would seem unlikely and, to my mind, would be unfair if this proved to be the case.

I am wondering if the difference lies in what is available in The Restaurant and Manfredi's where there may be a relatively large selection and on the rest of the ship (including The World Cafe) where there may be only the 3 "additional" choices?

It would be interesting to hear exactly where and on which ships the very limited or wider range of choices have occurred?

You are perfectly correct in that there is only one white on the page at the top of the blog posting. However if you look at all the pages there (i.e. the whole wine list for the Homeland Cruise in August 2017) you will find 18 Whites, 18 Reds, 2 Rose, 1 Sparkling, 1 Sweet and 1 Port available within the Silver Beverage package.

Admittedly that was then and the policy may have changed regarding wine since as indicated by lhamilton and offtoalaska. However PlanoTim (post 39 above) says they have just returned from 11 days on the Viking sea and that "there were at least a dozen reds and a dozen whites on the list" that were available in the package. This is consistent with the wine list for last August posted on the blog.

As Aquidneck1 suggested this discrepancy might be explained if there were different policies on different ships but that would seem unlikely and, to my mind, would be unfair if this proved to be the case.

I am wondering if the difference lies in what is available in The Restaurant and Manfredi's where there may be a relatively large selection and on the rest of the ship (including The World Cafe) where there may be only the 3 "additional" choices?

It would be interesting to hear exactly where and on which ships the very limited or wider range of choices have occurred?

You are lucky then. We were on Homelands in July, 2017 and we didn't have this list. We were showed only 3 reds and 3 whites that included in Silver Package. We were on Viking Star. We did have sparkling wine that I had quite often.

photopro2,

Guess we can answer your question and solve this mystery on the Viking Sea next month! :cool:

We have six sea days in a row so can look at the the various bars, restaurants wine lists and see what is available for wine by the glass when you have the Silver Spirit package.

One can always bring bottles of wine on board if you do not want to purchase the Silver Spirit package.

The included wine at lunch and dinner times seems to be fine for some and not others who have already sailed on Viking.

I am buying the package more for the cocktail choices than the wine choices. I will buy a bottle of Cava when I get to Spain. Love it better than champagne.

photopro2,

Guess we can answer your question and solve this mystery on the Viking Sea next month! :cool:

We have six sea days in a row so can look at the the various bars, restaurants wine lists and see what is available for wine by the glass when you have the Silver Spirit package.

One can always bring bottles of wine on board if you do not want to purchase the Silver Spirit package.

The included wine at lunch and dinner times seems to be fine for some and not others who have already sailed on Viking.

I am buying the package more for the cocktail choices than the wine choices. I will buy a bottle of Cava when I get to Spain. Love it better than champagne.

Great idea and thank you for that!!! :) Will be waiting for you reports. We will be on Star again in June and I will definitely check and make pictures of the wine list. Star had pretty good spirits but not the wine.

You are lucky then. We were on Homelands in July, 2017 and we didn't have this list. We were showed only 3 reds and 3 whites that included in Silver Package. We were on Viking Star. We did have sparkling wine that I had quite often.

It is interesting to know that maybe Viking aren't making clear what options are available. Did you ask to see the wine list at any point? Please don't think I am being impertinent with this question, I am just genuinely curious to get to the bottom of why some people feel there is a good choice of wines within the package and others don't.

Yes, we are looking forward to exploring the possibilities along with you. :cool:

I was just on the Sea. We had the Silver Spirits package. At each meal, we told our server we had the package. They brought us the wine list. I can't speak to reds, because my husband only drinks Chardonnay, and I had seafood every meal, but there were three Chardonnays for us to choose from on the wine list. That's just Chardonnay. We could have chosen many other wines by the glass, but we found one that worked for us, and pretty much drank one or another the entire cruise with meals. I can also tell you with certainty that despite what has been posted on Cruise Critic, the DV categories do not receive alcohol in their minibar. You can order them, but they are 4.60 USD per each little bottle. I finally received confirmation while on board from Tellus@Viking,.com that previous information stating that it was included for all cabin categories with the package was incorrect. I enjoyed the package, not so much for the wine, but for the ability to never think about ordering drinks. Our cruise was in the Caribbean, so a couple of sea days and early returns to the ship made it worthwihile..

I was just on the Sea. We had the Silver Spirits package. At each meal, we told our server we had the package. They brought us the wine list. I can't speak to reds, because my husband only drinks Chardonnay, and I had seafood every meal, but there were three Chardonnays for us to choose from on the wine list. That's just Chardonnay. We could have chosen many other wines by the glass, but we found one that worked for us, and pretty much drank one or another the entire cruise with meals. I can also tell you with certainty that despite what has been posted on Cruise Critic, the DV categories do not receive alcohol in their minibar. You can order them, but they are 4.60 USD per each little bottle. I finally received confirmation while on board from Tellus@Viking,.com that previous information stating that it was included for all cabin categories with the package was incorrect. I enjoyed the package, not so much for the wine, but for the ability to never think about ordering drinks. Our cruise was in the Caribbean, so a couple of sea days and early returns to the ship made it worthwihile..

Thanks for the latest update and with current facts. I do not like most Chardonnays, so will look for other whites and some red wines on my package.

It is interesting to know that maybe Viking aren't making clear what options are available. Did you ask to see the wine list at any point? Please don't think I am being impertinent with this question, I am just genuinely curious to get to the bottom of why some people feel there is a good choice of wines within the package and others don't.

Yes, we did. There were no asterisks as I remember but when we asked for the wine, we were told that it wasn’t included. When we questioned what was included, we had 3 reds and 3 whites. The wines were so-so and we had mainly bubbly and beer at lunch and a little of red at dinner. And yes, we did Google them and the wines were very cheap.

To be honest the choice we had at Chef’s restaurant was very good.

It’s a shame that on the same cruise line some people have a good choice and other don’t.

Having traveled on the Viking Star last month with the Silver Spirts package we never had an issue with it. At dinner we were given a wine list and there were far more than 3 reds and 3 whites on it. You can choose any glass as long as it doesn't exceed 15.00 per glass. We sat in the same table 2 nights in a row and our server remembered which wines we had the previous nights and asked us if we wanted the same ones again. If you drink beer there are more choices to order too. For the @ 15.00 a day you pay for the package it is well with it. Most drinks are 7.50 each and some of the premium rums in the Torshavn bar were 12.00 to 14,00 each