Viewing Statue of Liberty departing NY Harbor

5kitty

We stood on the top deck of QEII the first time sailing out of Manhattan. We were all the way aft. We could see the Verrazano Narrows Bridge up ahead. Looking up at the funnel, it was obvious it wouldn't fit under the bridge. I kept saying they sail under it all the time, but still....

So we all stood there, cameras ready, waiting for that funnel to hit the bridge and come down and crush us!

I think some were a little disappointed that it didn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We stood on the top deck of QEII the first time sailing out of Manhattan. We were all the way aft. We could see the Verrazano Narrows Bridge up ahead. Looking up at the funnel, it was obvious it wouldn't fit under the bridge. I kept saying they sail under it all the time, but still....

So we all stood there, cameras ready, waiting for that funnel to hit the bridge and come down and crush us!

I think some were a little disappointed that it didn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Same here. First NY sailing on the QE2. Then the Jewel/Gem, but when we were on the BA, I swore it wouldn't fit under. It's amazing how it can.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Same here. First NY sailing on the QE2. Then the Jewel/Gem, but when we were on the BA, I swore it wouldn't fit under. It's amazing how it can.

Safe sailing

Originally posted by grandmarnnurse Of all the cruises I've taken, sailing out of NYC past the breathtaking skyline, Statue of Liberty, and going under the bridge was the very BEST!

And the Statue of Liberty is on your right side.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."

Leaving NYC last month on the NCL Gem, I had a conversation with a lady who told me about the terrific deal she got with NCL on a Haven Suite.

As we passed the Statue of Liberty, she commented, "We don't need anymore immigrants!

My husband had to pay $10,000 in business taxes last year!"

The horror.

Edited by $hip$hape

Originally posted by grandmarnnurse Of all the cruises I've taken, sailing out of NYC past the breathtaking skyline, Statue of Liberty, and going under the bridge was the very BEST!

And the Statue of Liberty is on your right side.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."

Leaving NYC last month on the NCL Gem, I had a conversation with a lady who told me about the terrific deal she got with NCL on a Haven Suite.

As we passed the Statue of Liberty, she commented, "We don't need anymore immigrants!

My husband had to pay $10,000 in business taxes last year!"

The horror.

I pay more than that in personal taxes.

I agree, leaving NYC is best enjoyed by being out on the deck. Hope you have wonderful memories of the journey.
We are sailing out of NYC in 3 plus weeks; one of the things I am looking forward to the most: is seeing both the sky line and the lady. I am sure the deck will be packed with people. Usually we don't even bother with sail away, but this time we sure will. :)

We are sailing on the Gem March 29th, I am looking forward to the NYC skyline on sail away. Camera in hand as usual 5337ae10964b061544d6eff85ceda97e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

The nice thing about sailing out of NY on the Gem is if the weather is chilly, you can watch from the Spinnaker Lounge.

Question has been asked and answered but I'd like to share that we were just on the BA from 2/19-2/16 and it was 70 degrees when we left the pier. The top deck was packed and it was incredible. The Statue of Liberty was great to see...so many families (since it was school vacation) with parents pointing out the statue to their young kids who likely had never seen it before. Going under the bridge was another perk. But, without a doubt the best was seeing the Freedom Tower, standing high and proud.

Top deck is by far the best place to watch the sail away from NYC.