Review of Oasis of the Seas- Feb 19th- Feb 26th

jmabre

subscribing

You don't have to reply to a thread to subscribe/follow it, just use the "thread tools" on the top right and select subscribe.

There you can also select if you want to be notified of new post by email or not, and how frequently :-)

Day 5-

Day 5 starts when we wake up early, slowly moving into port in beautiful St. Maarten. Since we have our "The Race" excursion booked for 9:30am, we ordered room service to be delivered between 7:30am and 8:00am. It showed up at around 7:50am and it was hot and the order was correct, so we are off to a good start. Again, room service was ++.

At about 8:15am, the phone rings. Probably the in-laws I thought, as they were the only ones ever to call our room. Not this time though, it is the excursion desk. Bad news, "The Race" is cancelled due to rain and wind forecasts. Now, since I can't find a whole lot about this excursion online anywhere, I am still not sure what we could be doing that would cause it to be cancelled. On the phone, they tell me we can head down to the excursion desk and book a new excursion. Great, thanks for that. How many choices could I possibly have the day of, when people are already exiting to port? My wife and I start looking through the options, and I said we need to find what is available before we try and decide, so I go ahead and go down to the excursions desk on the Promenade.

So, little did I know, but my "race" for the day becomes a race to get downstairs and find an excursion that will work for my family of 4 and my MIL. Steve at the excursions desk was helpful. We went through the list, found something that could work and decided to put it in motion. While discussing things, I asked him if they had a lot of people signed up for "The Race." He started to say not really, but caught himself and said, well enough that we have been busy rebooking excursions for those folks this morning. If you want my opinion, I think they cancelled it due to a lack of interest, because the weather that day was fine. But, I don't know that for sure.

Back to booking....tech problems again. Steve said he needed to cancel our existing reservations to book new ones. Sounds simple enough, right? Well, for whatever reason, he couldn't cancel my boys' reservations. We have to go to guest services. He walks over with me and tells me that they run an old Windows DOS software system and sometimes it doesn't play nice. Well, no wonder we have tech problems. At guest services, the first gentlemen who tried to help couldn't figure it out either. Finally, we got a more senior person involved who got us cancelled (from the reservation that one hour earlier someone told us on the phone would be cancelled automatically). Frustration level at this point is about an 8.

After getting this mess all sorted out, we decided to take one of our only options, and that was the Airport Adventures snorkel and airport visit. Now, when I booked this, I thought it was two separate things, go snorkeling somewhere for a couple of hours, pull up anchor and then go hang by the airport for a couple of hours. I was wrong. We took the boat to the airport, dropped anchor about 200 yards off the beach, then snorkeled and watched the planes come in for about 2 hours. I have to say, we were all disappointed by the race being cancelled, but this excursion was lots of fun. The staff on the boat was great, very courteous and conscientious. The guy on the mic was very funny and entertaining. The music was lots of fun (which made me again think, why are they not playing fun music at the pool on the ship?). The airplanes coming in was something to see. The snorkeling was just ok. But, I would definitely recommend this excursion as just something fun to do. Pro tip, if you do go on this tour, they do sell food and drinks on the boat, so you will need some cash or credit cards. Plus, if you want, you can tip the staff, which I thought they deserved, as they were great.

Excursion in the books, we head back to the ship and took a nap. When I say "we" I mean my wife and I, because if a TV is on, no matter how tired, my kids do not want to miss a minute. It has been a long day already and it was only like 2pm. I think I grabbed a roast beef on weck sandwich on the way back to the room from the Park Cafe. For those who don't know, this type of sandwich is a Buffalo NY staple. I laugh when I read how much people who don't have access to them normally, love them on the ship. The sandwiches we have here are better than the one I had on the ship, but it worked fine. Complete even with the horseradish, the proper way to eat one.

That afternoon, the rock wall was open while the ship was still in port. I had been thinking about giving it a try, so I headed down at 4pm as soon as it opened. There were very few people in front of me, so all I had to do was get my R/C issued rock climbing shoes on, get my harness on, get my helmet on and go. About a third of the way up the middle section (the hardest section according to the staff), I started thinking how the heck am I going to get past this point. I rallied and made up to the top and rang the bell. A few people at Sabor below started to applaud, and that was pretty cool. Rock climbing wall....conquered! This deserves a pina colada! So, I stopped down at the Sabor Bar and noticed they are selling drink cards now. For $80, you can buy a card that would get you 10 drinks (a lot of the drinks are $13 a piece). So, I bought one of those cards, and got the wife and I a drink.

We had six days in a row of kids in close quarters (they never did go to the Adventure Club because as a parent you have to pick your battles) and the wife and I were due a night out alone. Thankfully the MIL and FIL were happy to take them for us. We had reservations for Come Fly With Me for 7:30pm that evening (again, another conflict with 8pm dinner seating) and we decided it would be a date night. We went to the show a little late, but we caught most of it. We did have to stand though, as there were not any seats left. It was very entertaining, singing, dancing, acrobats, etc. We enjoyed it.

From there, we were off to dinner, but where to? We discussed going someplace like Sabor or Izumi, but we didn't want to pay for dinner. The Windjammer, nah, not for a date. Then I thought, what if we go down to My Time Dining and see what happens? They could tell us no, but I was willing to see. We stood in line, got up to the Maitre D and asked. They seemed a little puzzled. She said well, your table is for 8pm, and it is only 8:20pm, you can still go upstairs and use it. We told the truth. We were trying to escape our kids and have a date night! The lady cracked a smile, basically told us that we were lucky they weren't super busy, and seated us at a table for 2.

My Time Dining is on floor 3 of the 3 floor dining room. It is also called the American Icon Grill. If I had to do this cruise again, I would give serious consideration to taking the My Time Dining plan, in order to avoid the conflicts that we had with lots of different showtimes. I had a seared tuna steak for dinner, and it was very good. I really enjoyed it. My wife had a very good crab cake as well. It was nice to have dinner with my wife, alone.

After dinner, we reunited with the kiddos and headed to the Promenade for the 70's Dance Party. That was a lot of fun, and all of the cruise's entertainment staff was dressed in disco garb and dancing to all the disco songs that everybody knows the words to (YMCA anyone?). After about 1/2 an hour of the 70's Dance Party, the fun police (aka the kids), had had enough, it was time for bed.

Although the day did not go as expected, it turned out to be another great day on the Oasis!

Old San Juan is an easy self guided walking tour. Look into Trip Advisors on things to do, the two forts, El Morro and San Cristobal, are must see sites, but they closes at 5PM. Yelp has a lot of reviews for San Juan and it will help in finding a great place to eat local food.

In the three trips we've been in San Juan, we have never felt unsafe even at night. On the contrary, we find the people there to be warm, friendly and honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, there are so many things to plan on a vacation that I wouldn't want to try and plan a walking tour of the city on my own. Especially if I taking the kids around with me.

Day 6-

Day 6 was the first of our two full days at sea for our trip back to Port Canaveral. I started the day by getting up and hitting the track one last time, this time for 9.4 laps or 4 miles. My family went to Park Cafe, where my oldest son attempted to eat his weight in baked goods. There is something about the around the clock availability of food that seems to make my sons always think about eating. For me, three full meals a day was getting to be a bit much, so I skipped breakfast.

My wife and son were going to take a galley tour at 10:30am, but when they reported up there, they were told that since the chefs were preparing lobsters for the evening dinner, they did not have the time to perform the galley tour. Come back tomorrow. We found out about the galley tour when we were at Chops. The chef came around after the meal to ask how the meal was. As we were chatting, I asked him if he had any advice for an aspiring chef (my son), this is when he mentioned the galley tour. It is $35 per person to take the tour, and that includes a champagne and surf and turf lunch. More on the galley tour on Day 7....

While my wife and son were waiting to find out about the cancellation, I took my youngest up to the pool. I got in some reading and sun time, but boy was it windy up top. We must have been heading back up into the wind that day. My hat blew off my head at least once. Once the others joined us, I headed over to the Flowrider to surf a little bit more. The Flowrider professionals were up there again, as if they never did leave that area. Come to think of it, I never did see any of those guys anywhere else on the ship. I got in a couple of more runs, but it is hard to build consistency when you have to wait a half hour between turns.

Lunch time came around, and we headed over to the Windjammer for lunch. As always, the selection and the food was solid. The crowd, as usual, was large. Once you get your table though, it is all good.

3pm brought us to something we highlighted on the Compass. It was referred to as a picture scavenger hunt. We weren't sure what we were getting into, but it sounded like fun. We went down to On Air, and there were probably 7 or 8 other families in there as well. Turns out, we were given a list of 20 photos that we had to take of various things on the ship, sometimes with us in them. We had 20 minutes to get as many as we could, and then we had to return to On Air. An example of a photo you had to get was a picture of your whole team in a shower. Or, get a picture of someone standing with the balloon man statue. 20 pictures in 20 minutes is a tall task, especially when it takes you from Deck 5 up to Deck 15. Out of the 20 pictures asked for, my team got ALL 20 DONE IN 20 MINUTES! We were the only team to get them all. It was a proud family moment, and we were rewarded with R/C baseball hats!

Before dinner lots of nights, we would kill some time in the library on in the card room. They were good places to go for some quiet time, or to play some card games. Something that is not high paced and loud. That was a nice thing to do to break up the usual craziness.

Day 6 was the second of our two formal nights. We don't normally wear bow ties in my family, but for whatever reason, we decided that the boys and I were going to sport bow ties for this occasion. We were looking rather spiffy! As you might remember, formal nights are in the MDR, but not necessarily in the specialty restaurants. We had reservations at 150 Central this night, so we decided to go formal anyway. Of the three specialty restaurants we went to, 150 Central seemed the most formal of them all. We stopped in Central Park early to get some professional photos taken of our crew. After that, we headed in for our 7:00pm reservation.

150 Central was the quietest of the restaurants we went to. It was also the best service we had and the food was great too. Our waiter, Adrian, was very professional and prompt, never hovered, did a great job all around. I had a great salad as an appetizer, along with the beef short rib for an entree. We finished that off with a bittersweet chocolate tart for dessert. The tart wasn't my favorite, but still very good. My son ate duck confit, and he loved it! Everyone at our table seemed very pleased with our meal. Again +++ on the specialty dining.

After dinner, we somehow ended up back at the Come Fly With Me Show. We didn't have reservations, but they scanned our sea pass and let us in anyway. This time, we brought the kids and my MIL, and we got front row seats! It was a much different show from the front row than it was from the balcony standing area. You could actually see more from up top than up close. We enjoyed the show again, but one of the kids fell asleep. They can't fall asleep in front of a TV, but in front of large, loud, live performance, no problem. That was our sign, our night was over.

One more day to go, and it was a bit more of an adventure than we had hoped.

cliffhanger!

Enjoying your review, thanks for posting :)

LOL...I was thinking the same thing. I love these detailed reviews. Even without pictures, I still feel like I'm right there..:p

Day 7-

Alright, let's wrap this thing up. One week ago today, I was waking up in St. Maarten. Today, I woke up in Buffalo and it was snowing.

Day 7 started early. My wife got out of bed and was feeling sick. My initial thought, ok, she's fine, something she ate didn't agree with her. I was wrong. She was sick, sick. She is not going to make it out of bed for almost the whole day. I felt terrible for her. Basically one seventh of her vacation got taken away because of an illness.

Then there is the other side of that coin. There are three more of us who are sharing 182 sq feet of living space with someone who is very ill. Great. I spent most of the day worrying about my wife being ok and able to travel home with us the next day, but also how all the rest of us are going to avoid the same fate. Purell was in abundance.

So, after the boys got up, I got them dressed and out of the room. We went up to Deck 15 to basically vacate the area so my wife could get rest. We ate at the Wipeout Cafe for breakfast, which was pretty quiet at 9 in the morning. The selection was limited, but all that we needed to get the day started.

If you remember, the galley tour that was supposed to happen on Day 6 was postponed to Day 7. My wife was going to take my son, and they were both excited to do so. I really wasn't as excited about the galley tour as they both were. I asked my MIL if she wanted to take my son on the galley tour. She wasn't interested either. Well, it looks like Dad is up.

At about 10:25am, we headed down to Silk on Deck 4 for the galley tour. We were sitting there with about 12 other people who were waiting to do the same. It was supposed to start at 10:30am, but around 10:40am, we still found ourselves waiting for someone to come out and tell us what was going on. Well, someone did come out and said, "are you here for the galley tour, you are supposed to go to deck 5." It was clearly communicated to me, and the other 12 people with us, that we were supposed to go to deck 4. So, when we hustled up to deck 5, we realized that the galley tour that we thought was going to be with a cozy group of 14, actually had about 120 participants. Not so cozy.

So, we get to the end of this line of about 120 people and they start breaking us into groups of about 12, pair us up with a chef, and send us on our way. Since we were the last ones in, we were at the back of a group walking single file with a chef who wasn't talking very much, or very loud. I could see some other groups in other parts of the kitchen, and I could hear their chefs better than the one we had leading our group. He was a nice guy, probably a great chef, English was his second language, he didn't have a loud voice, so as a tour guide, not quite what we are looking for. After a few stops in the galley, I grabbed my son and defected to another group, where the tour guide was speaking louder and offered way more content. My son really liked the galley tour, the bakery smelled amazing. They bake 10,000 rolls per day in there. We saw them putting together shrimp cocktails for the evening dinner service, and it was shrimp cocktails as far as the eye could see.

After the galley tour concluded (about an hour later), they sat us immediately in the MDR and served us a surf and turf lunch. I am not a huge lobster fan, but my son said to me last night, that was his favorite meal on the cruise. So, that then makes it one of my favorite meals as well. They served champagne along with the lunch also. The galley tour had some speed bumps, but all in all, a good experience.

From lunch, we grabbed my youngest, who was hanging with his grandparents, and we headed up to the pools. Not quite as windy as the day before, so it was a bit of a nicer day. Since it was the last day, I gave the Flowrider one more spin (yes, that one guy was there again), hung out in the pool area, got some sun and stayed out of my room as much as possible.

That afternoon, we headed back to the room to check on the wife. She said she felt better, because she just threw up. Fantastic. She said she would try and eat a little fruit, so we got her some fruit with the hope she could finally eat something that day.

At 5pm we had reservations for the figure skating show. We got there a little early, but that didn't matter, it was only a half full show anyway, plenty of good seats available. The show was fine. It wasn't nearly as entertaining as the other two shows we saw, but it was kind of neat. I would probably pass on it next time though.

At 7:45pm there was a parade in the Promenade. The parade had lots of characters from the DreamWorks movies. It was pretty cool, but would have been more fun if the wife was there to enjoy it with us. From there, it was on to the MDR for our last dinner.

My wife was not interested in going to dinner, so it was once again going to be a five person meal. We reflected on our cruise at dinner that evening, and 3 out of 7 nights were 5 person dinners. Yikes. We had our last dinner in the MDR at our 8pm seating. Turns out our waiter was sick that night too, so we had a substitute waiter. The dinner was fine, I had a turkey platter with stuffing and potatoes. It was turkey, good, but nothing too exciting. The mango cheesecake I had for dessert, however, was excellent.

After dinner, we took one more stroll around the ship. We still had some packing to do, and we had to go check on my wife. She was doing ok, much better than the morning, but still not quite right.

It was an anticlimactic ending to a nice vacation. I felt bad for my wife and FIL who both lost days to illness. My wife, very much an optimist, didn't let it ruin her trip. One more post later on the Day 8, and the ship departure process. Some of you might find it useful.

Day 8-

Departure. Good news, my wife can stand up this morning. That is great because I didn't think I could carry her and my luggage off the ship! The other great news, nobody else in our room appears to be ill today!

You have some choices when departing. You can leave your luggage in the hall on the evening of Day 7, and R/C will carry your luggage off the ship for you, and you will be given a window from which you can depart the ship. The other option is that you can self carry your luggage off the ship and get off first. We chose to self carry off, as we had booked a 8:15am shuttle ride back to MCO for our 11:50am flight.

The ship docked early that morning (maybe 6:30am or so), and had to clear customs before you could get off the ship. We figured we needed to get downstairs by about 7:15am to get off the ship, get through customs ourselves, and have some time to spare for our 8:15am shuttle. We got downstairs and realized that there was quite of line of people trying to do the same thing we were. And for a while, it wasn't moving. Hmmmm. Side note here, if you got downstairs closer to 7:30am, the line got MUCH longer. After a little while, it started to move, but all said and done, from the time we got in line until the time we made it through all the lines out to the curb, was a solid 45 minutes. So, plan accordingly.

One thing that was noticeably absent that morning, announcements. I thought we would hear some announcements regarding, ok, the ship cleared customs, you are free to proceed to to the exits. Or, thanks for sailing with us, we really appreciate your business. Or, see you next time. Nothing. Crickets. The Captain had a great speaking voice, and it always fun to hear him over the sound system, but I don't recall hearing him on Day 7 or Day 8. I thought that was weird.

We took Cortrans Transportation and they were excellent. We got to them at about 7:45am and we were on our way to MCO earlier than expected at 8am. I know I read somewhere that you shouldn't book a flight out of MCO before noon, but we were at MCO and through security by 9am. We could have caught the 10:30am flight to Buffalo, but I wouldn't try that in the future. The window would be too tight.

Here ends our adventure on the Oasis of the Seas. I would like to sincerely thank those of you who left feedback about the review. Positive encouragement always helps a great deal! For those of you with trips booked, I wish you the best on your journeys. Have a blast. For those of you thinking of booking, what are you waiting for? When you get there, have a Pina Colada for me!

Jeff, thanks for sharing your vacay with us. Some nice tips to remember for our cruise, and even though all 8 of you didn't get to do everything together, sounds like you have a good time overall. Glad your wife got better to make it home. Trust she's fine and dandy now.

Thanks for taking the time to recount your cruise aboard the Oasis. We will be on her in mid July (oh what was I thinking). It has been a while since we sailed on the Oasis and that was even prior to her dry dock when she added all those extra cabins.

How did you carry your wine on board? In a bag or literally carry it on? I'm paranoid about the bottles breaking;p

Day 2-

Before I start, one tip that I thought was a good one. Bring a highlighter. There are so many things in the Cruise Compass each day, that a highlighter will help you cull the list down into the things you are interested in doing.

We started Day 2 by going to one of our favorite places, Park Café in Central Park. They have a nice selection of breakfast sandwiches, fruits, yogurts, pastries, etc. It is often not crowded, although good luck getting a muffin. For some reason, they have the coffee bar where you can get lattes and extra cost coffee drinks set up on the same station as the muffins, and only one guy manning both. He is a nice guy who often chats up guests while making the coffee, but you have to wait in order to just get a muffin. Unless you want to be pushy (not our style I guess).

From there, I had scheduled in advance a flowrider lesson at 11:30am. If you filled out your paperwork online, the process to use the flowrider and zip line is easy. Go up to the sports desk next to the flowrider and get your blue wristband. This lets the staff know that you are good to go. I did end up wearing this the whole trip so that I didn’t have to repeat this process.

The lesson is an hour long and it is you and 7 others. So, out of that hour, you get about 8 minutes of it as your “own.” For the price, that is an expensive 8 minutes, but the guys who did the instruction were very good. By the end of the trip I was stand up surfing very well over on the flowrider. I remember one of the guys we were with thought that it was an individual lesson. Wasn’t he surprised to find out that was not true. Actually, come to think of it, a couple of the kids who went first got to go three times, so if you are thinking of doing it, hop up and sit down first in line if you can.

After the flowrider session ended, it was on to lunch. I’m pretty sure we went over to the Wipe Out Café and had burgers and fries. While in line, there was no beef burgers, so I grabbed a turkey burger. It was just ok. Didn’t finish it, wouldn’t get it again. I think they were a little bit behind in the service process, but had I waited a couple of minutes, fresh burgers did arrive. My boys both ate hot dogs and were happy with them. Of course, they also polished off some ice cream cones after lunch as well.

This is something I probably did day 1, but I forgot to mention. Remember the 3 day dining package? Well, they advertise in the promotion that the first day is booked for you. First I looked at the in room television, which has your account info and scheduled events, but it said nothing about dining reservations. So then, I went down to the specialty restaurant booking table in the Promenade (right across from Sorrentios Pizza) where they are trying to sell everyone who walks by a dinner package. I talked with the gentlemen there with his old IBM laptop (again the tech on the ship is in need of a desperate upgrade), and he told me that we did not have any restaurants booked, even though it says that is what they do. So, I’m not sure if this was a mistake or if they really don’t book the first one for you. Anyway, I had to add the kids to the reservations at $10 a piece and we booked 3 specialty restaurant dinners for 3 separate nights in 3 separate restaurants. Chops on night 2 was our first one. My advice, check early on day 1 what is going on. You can go to any specialty restaurant and they can check it out for you. Make your reservations and you can always change them later. I know we changed one, and it was no problem. Also, we were on a sold out cruise, and never were we in a full specialty restaurant for dinner.

After lunch, we went up to the Adventure Ocean Club with my kids, so we could sign them up. My wife and I were excited about this, my kids, not so much. They are more introverted than extroverted, so having to split up into separate groups (6-8 is one group, 9-11 is another) was not their idea of fun. We walked through, it looked really nice, while my kids moped through the entire tour. Needless to say, it was going to be a battle to get them to go. But, we told them, if they didn’t want to do what the adults were doing, this was their other option.

We grabbed a quick nap and rallied at the Schooner Bar for a drink before dinner. They were having some sort of scavenger hunt as well, so my MIL and the four of us took part. It was fun, but we were beat out by some more far ambitious group. I’ll note here, that my father in law, who is never ill, was down and out for day 2 and day 3 of this cruise. Hardly left the room. Bummer.

From the Schooner Bar, we headed up to Chops for dinner. This was the first of the two formal nights, but the formal nights are only in the MDR. We decided to go nice, but not really formal in our outfits for this night. Our six-person reservation was now a five-person dinner. A quick note about specialty restaurants, as a cost-conscious cruiser, I wasn’t sure about adding the extra expense. $170 for my wife and I, and extra $60 for the kids, that is a bit pricey. However, we loved it. I would definitely do it again. There is an extra added ambiance in these restaurants, and it is generally a bit quieter and easier to communicate. The kids are not limited in their menu either. There is a kids menu, but they are offered to eat off the main menu if they wish. I wasn’t sure if this would be the case, but my 10-year-old is a bit of an aspiring foodie, and I thought it would be a problem if he had to eat off the kids menu. He didn’t.

We brought one of our bottles of wine to Chops and we enjoyed that with our dinner. I had scallops as an appetizer and they were pretty good. We all ordered the filet that night, and I have to say, it was a little disappointing. Not terrible, just not great. My youngest boy was trying filet for the first time, and we ordered his medium. It was clearly med-rare. I also ordered mine medium, it was clearly medium well. Our waiter, Kimon, was great, he grabbed the med rare filet, took it back and brought out another. He called our boys “prince” when asking them questions or confirming requests. I thought that was cool. Some other waiters on the ship would just refer to them as “boy” which I think needs improvement. For dessert, this was probably the best dessert I had on the ship, we had chocolate lava cake with a side of coconut ice cream. That was awesome! Overall, I would give Chops 7 out of 10.

After dinner, we wandered around, seeing what was going on around the ship. I think we stopped in and listened to some jazz for a little while. The little guys were getting tired, so we decided to head up to bed. We had to get rested because Day 3 in Labadee was going to be an early one.

How did you carry your wine on board? In a bag or literally carry it on? I'm paranoid about the bottles breaking;p

We just had them double bag them at the liquor store, then put them in our over the shoulder type of carry on bag (heavy duty duffle bag). Carried them right up to our room as we got on the ship.

We just had them double bag them at the liquor store, then put them in our over the shoulder type of carry on bag (heavy duty duffle bag). Carried them right up to our room as we got on the ship.

Thanks so much! Planning to do this too:)

Do you have to take it out and show it to them?