Carry-on own luggage

teesmc

I can't remember, can you carry your own luggage/wheely suitcase onto the ship? Or do you need to send it thru security?

Yes, you can. We do it every cruise.

As long as the bag fits through the X-ray machine- which is bigger than the ones you see at airports, you will be fine. So if you carry on for flights....

Note that staterooms usually don't open until at least 1pm (sometimes later), so anything you carry on will have to be lugged around until staterooms open.

Thanks!

We have learned to pack light over the years...if you aren't sure, don't bring it:cool:

Note that staterooms usually don't open until at least 1pm (sometimes later), so anything you carry on will have to be lugged around until staterooms open.

Which is also why we try to step on board very close to 1pm.

To me, there's little to be gained by being the first on board.

As long as the bag fits through the X-ray machine- which is bigger than the ones you see at airports, you will be fine. So if you carry on for flights....

That has not been my experience - I see mostly the same Smiths 6040i units at cruise terminals as at airports.

That has not been my experience - I see mostly the same Smiths 6040i units at cruise terminals as at airports.

Given that we carry on the plane and the ship, I admit never actually paying attention to the brand.

Just that carrying on the ship is easy.

Still, size isn't nearly as important carrying on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is the advantage to carrying on your own luggage? I hate having to lug anything around while I'm touring the ship, exploring, and waiting for my room. But I always have a tote bag of some kind with my jewelry and other valuables that I won't leave with strangers. I wouldn't want to deal with a suitcase as well.

I assume if it doesn't fit the staff will ask you to take it back outside and give to porters?

No idea. We've never been challenged for what we are carrying on- even when we add one bag (just for ease of not re-packing dirty and running clothing).

What is the advantage to carrying on your own luggage? I hate having to lug anything around while I'm touring the ship, exploring, and waiting for my room. But I always have a tote bag of some kind with my jewelry and other valuables that I won't leave with strangers. I wouldn't want to deal with a suitcase as well.

Never have to worry about someone handling your luggage- be it for getting lost, damaged, or whatever. Always immediately unpack.

Even better- when you pack that light, you are REALLY focusing on the smallest amount you really need to travel. Minimal waste of clothing.

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but we always carry on and off both planes and ships. That really started after one bad winter storm when we didn't see our luggage for 3 days. And that was going back to the airport to find our own luggage (they even tried to deliver us the wrong bags).

The only time we "violate" that is when we buy a bottle of something to bring home.

Boarding day is day one of my cruise so I get on as early as possible to start having fun and don't want luggage to hold me back!

We feel absolutely comfortable dropping off our bags when we get out of the cab and have never had a problem. It's usually delivered by 2:30pm at the latest. There's nothing that's packed that we can't live without for 4 hours.

I assume if it doesn't fit the staff will ask you to take it back outside and give to porters?

Yup! Happened to someone we were cruising with once. Luggage didn't fit thru security so they had to bring out front. Not a big deal though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums