Transfer from ship to Barcelona Airport

british betty

Can anyone please advise if there is a transfer available if no excursion is booked or advance package including transfer has been made.?

We are just wanting to know if it's best to pre-book a pick-up or if we can pay for a coach transfer at the end of the cruise to the airport.

Thanks for any info that you can share.

Not a precise answer but they will most likely have a transfer available and it will most likely cost at least 3 if not 4 times the cost of a taxi to the airport. There seem to be at least 100 or more taxis waiting at the terminal when one gets off in Barcelona and the airport is about a 40 mins drive...

We took the taxi for about 35 euros at the end of our recent cruise with husband grumbling about getting to the airport too early. We spent most of the time in line to check in and spent very little time waiting to board the plane or last minute shopping etc so keep that in mind whether using ship or private transport.

Thanks. We've queued for the taxi previously and prebooked transfers privately also. I just wondered if anyone knew if O offered a bus transfer that may be bookable onboard and approximately how much it would cost.

They will have a shuttle & it will be very pricey

You can ask your TA to find out the cost PP & then decide

Can anyone please advise if there is a transfer available if no excursion is booked or advance package including transfer has been made.?

We are just wanting to know if it's best to pre-book a pick-up or if we can pay for a coach transfer at the end of the cruise to the airport.

Thanks for any info that you can share.

You can go to the Spain Ports of Call boards to get recommendations for local car services. (URL below)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596

Here's a link to a thread that includes positive recommendations for two transfer services:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2364585

The recommendation for Viator is a solid recommendation in terms of convenience and reliability. However, Viator is a booking consolidator; they don't actually provide the specific service. As such, they're more expensive than making direct contact with a provider, whether touring or transportation.

We did take O's shuttle a couple of times. An example was LA. We knew it was more than an airport shuttle service but was satisfied with paying the price as were were using their air with a (fairly) early flight and traveling during rush hour in LA. A little comfort that they would get us their on time in the stop and slow traffic.

But have never even looked at them again after this was on our invoice for a cruise out of Barcelona:

19-Jul-12 TRANSFER AIRPORT TO SHIP 1,2 $ 119.00 238.00

Needless to say we had them removed and just grabbed a readily available cab and saved $200. If that was OBC I'd rather give it to the crew or even (another) massage.

That was five years ago. Maybe the "supply and no demand" has lowered the price to $89 That is likely closer to what most cruise lines charge.

As LHT28 said just ask your TA. As for on-board they will cut off bookings as they need to book sufficient buses in advance.

I would have my doubts that the price is lower now :D

we were quoted $223 pp r/t MIA to POM

a 20 min ride

a taxi would be about $60 r/t per vehicle

We also had the transfer removed pronto ;)

I cannot remember ever taking a ship's transfer from airport to hotel or ship to airport. (Well, there was one on Renaissance but in that case we had booked our own air but we were on a Renaissance flight to Athens ... and we just walked on the shuttle with all the other passengers and were taken to our hotel -- back then, Ren was providing hotel accommodations to all passengers, or at least passengers who were on Deck 7 and above. No one asked to see a ticket.)

Oceania is smarter! But also much more expensive. We would take a ship transfer in an area where it's a long transfer, or perhaps where it just isn't safe to go on your own.

So far our trips have been easily accomplished by a cab or private car.

But yes, you can book the ship transfer on board if you want to use OBC. I'm just confirming what has already been said, I think ... Barcelona is a particularly transfer, however. Now Rome might be different! There I've booked a private service ... We'll be going from Rome to Civitavecchia precruise in November and I expect we will hire a private service for that transfer.

Mura

Thanks everyone for your information and opinion. To be honest I was looking for a general idea on the cost and I think YoHoHo gave me some insight. We queued for a taxi last year and also have pre-booked a transfer in the past, which is what I think we'll do again this time.

Safe travels all and thanks again

Please forgive as I don't want to hijack this thread...but, we plan to spend a little time in the Barcelona/area and need to rent a car. What is the nearest location from the cruise port where a rental can be accessed? If this question is inappropriate please ignore and delete. Thanks.