certified Jamaican blue mountain in falmouth? or cozimel or labadee?

miyanc

I posted this originally in the Jamaican port section and have gotten nothing. I am aware of being able to buy it online or in various forms all over the globe. Blends, high, low or any other variation. I am looking to get certified 100% and believe on the island to be a good place to look. This may be a silly question because they may have it for sale every 10 feet, but without looking for an excursion on the other side of the island (falmouth being west and the blue mountain being east) I was hoping for a location to buy it close to the port. We were planning on doing the dunne river falls, but may not. So as a plan B, if there are other locations near somewhere we may do an excursion to that may help to.

I believe there are only 4 companies that can sell or make 100%. I can't find all 4 now just wellenford. thanks in advance.

its been a while since I have been to Jamaica... but IIRC on the pier there is a small shop that sells it in both bean and ground form. I wanna say they are red and blue bags and they are labeled 100%. and I think it was like at the very far end from where you get off.. near the bamboo sheet shop? I may be mixing that up with Haiti.

but ALL of the little tourist trap shops will have a large display of it and you really need to look at the labels to find 100%. those tend to be only 50% .

We were told by our guide Peet Taylor, a long time guide and native "never buy at the pier" and that their coffee may have sat for months on the shelves. He offered to take us to the Super market several blocks away and said that's where all the islanders buy 100% Blue Mountain and considered to be freshest.

Having said that, coffees we buy here in the US are so much better, growing, harvesting, and roasting techniques have changed over the years so that there are numerous coffees of even better quality than Blue Mountain Jamaican. I remember, way back in the day (70's) before Starbucks was franchised, when there was Folgers and then Blue Mountain at the delis and that's where you went for coffee, but today...hundreds of coffees just as tasty around.

I was able to get 100% Jablum Blue Mountain in Ochie at a local grocery store for 19.00 a lb 2 years ago. It was both ground and bean form. The cruise ports rape you on the price as well as the on-line stores. I asked our tour operator on the way back from Dunns Falls to drop me off at a local grocery store that sells it and he did. Was able to get some real jerk chicken spice as well for very little cost. That would probably be your best bet.

I wont be buying more then 2 lbs, so prices around $30 are fine. even if I can get it for 19$ its no big deal. As long as its the real deal. I wouldnt want old stuff but not sure how we would know any of these places sold freshest.

I am looking at this more as a when in Rome thing. I actually prefer dark roast, however like all kinds. We were on cruise in Hawaii that stopped in Kona. Another weaker or more mild version. I still bought some and still do enjoy it. More because it reminds me of the trip. Like I said, I can get it online. But as I said, when in Rome.

Thanks all, I will check the falmouth location even if we do an excursion.

There is a place right at the port in Falmouth. I bought a pound of the beans and it's delicious. It's attached to a place next to it that sells Tortuga Rum, My wife's favorite rum. We both got what we wanted.

We are also interested in purchasing coffee in Falmouth. Can you tell me how much it was and is it the kind in the burlap bag? Thanks :)

We are also interested in purchasing coffee in Falmouth. Can you tell me how much it was and is it the kind in the burlap bag? Thanks :)

I don't remember the price but it was in the burlap bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was pretty expensive. I think like 40 for the lb so if going away from pier it's probably a good idea to get it somewhere else. . ,They have two different roasts. Dark and regular i think. The burlap bag just covers a pretty basic commercial package the beans or grounds are in. We really like it. We got the regular and was in the burlap. Can't remember if they all are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

Was pretty expensive. I think like 40 for the lb so if going away from pier it's probably a good idea to get it somewhere else. . ,They have two different roasts. Dark and regular i think. The burlap bag just covers a pretty basic commercial package the beans or grounds are in. We really like it. We got the regular and was in the burlap. Can't remember if they all are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

so you got it by the pier? and negotiating? any time i think about straying to far from port i get dueling banjos. i may just pay more.

Yes in the pier area. The lady at the store when we were there wouldn't negotiate. While we were looking around someone tried and didn't have any luck. Did seem overpriced but we got it as we weren't going anywhere else. Price we pay for convenience.

Agreeing what other posters said, it's half the price at grocery stores and a lot fresher. We were on a private tour in Falmouth in December and our driver took us to his local store.

That being said, DH and I drink a lot of coffee in the morning and the pound I bought lasted one week. I'll stick with Starbucks which sells for $7 a pound at my store.

I can't imagine going through a pound in a week. That's a lot of coffee. I only make coffee on weekends at home so I'll never reach that level. At least not while I'm still working. Here at work it's Folgers. Does the trick. And I completely agree that it makes more sense to buy it away from the pier, if you are going somewhere away from pier. We weren't so we bit the bullet.

It's a vacation thing. Sometimes while away from home prices aren't as important to us.

When we were in Falmouth (late 2015), there were two stores in the port area that carried it. Identical prices of $49 from what I recall.

I strongly recommend the Regular. We like coffee, but needed to cut the regular significantly with other coffee to make it drinkable. Can't imagine what the Dark is like. Our friend is a coffee connoisseur, and he had to cut it too.

Going to a grocery store sounds like a great idea to get a good price, but I strongly advise against walking out of the port area due to safety. We tried it once, never again. Get a "real" taxi (expensive) if you plan to go to other areas too, or pay the higher price for coffee in the port.

When we were in Falmouth (late 2015)' date=' there were two stores in the port area that carried it. Identical prices of $49 from what I recall.

I strongly recommend the Regular. We like coffee, but needed to cut the regular significantly with other coffee to make it drinkable. Can't imagine what the Dark is like. Our friend is a coffee connoisseur, and he had to cut it too.

Going to a grocery store sounds like a great idea to get a good price, but I strongly advise against walking out of the port area due to safety. We tried it once, never again. Get a "real" taxi (expensive) if you plan to go to other areas too, or pay the higher price for coffee in the port.[/quote']

We weren't planning on leaving the port area this time, but $49 a pound is way too much! :eek: I'm wondering if there is a grocery store nearby, outside of the port area. Anybody?

We weren't planning on leaving the port area this time, but $49 a pound is way too much! :eek: I'm wondering if there is a grocery store nearby, outside of the port area. Anybody?

Sure, easy to walk into town, ask the security at the gate where to go. Walking tours used to be offered, maybe still are