Are prices going up?

GarySuzy

Are cruise lines going to have to increase their rates to cover things like this:

It may be just me but it seems the cruise lines are getting sued a lot for negligence lately. I have reviewed some of these filings and I can?t understand what people are thinking. In one case a person slipped on a wet surface and ?was injured? and this was after getting out of a hot tub. Give me a break what is the cruise line supposed to do have some one standing by the hot tub and drying the deck after each person gets out?

Another case was someone slipping and injuring themselves on a wet deck after a rain storm. Why are we a sue happy nation?

When did taking responsibility for your own actions and safety go out the door.

The cruise lines do have insurance that end paying off a lot of claims.

But many of the cruise lines are raising prices to cover all the extra perks you think you are getting for free.

This past summer HAL starting offering the Explore4 promotion -- again. But many people discovered that when they went to book a cruise, the cruise fare had gone up to cover these perks.

People were then asking for the price of their cruises without these perks and there was for many a big price difference.

Understand that Cruise Lines have insurance but I am sure that the insurance companies are increasing premiums for these frivolous law suites and you and I will eventually have to pay higher prices.

The problem I see here is that people (in general) no longer take responsibility for their actions and/or think they are entitled to some big payout.

Gary

The problem I see here is that people (in general) no longer take responsibility for their actions and/or think they are entitled to some big payout.

You may be right. But I don't think it is the reason why prices are being raised.

But many of the cruise lines are raising prices to cover all the extra perks you think you are getting for free.

This past summer HAL starting offering the Explore4 promotion -- again. But many people discovered that when they went to book a cruise, the cruise fare had gone up to cover these perks.

People were then asking for the price of their cruises without these perks and there was for many a big price difference.

On some cruises Explore 4 could cost 1400 dollars

You may be right. But I don't think it is the reason why prices are being raised.

Of course, pricing is determined based on value, not cost. Cost would only come into play if there was no profit to be had, and then, typically to determine whether to terminate the offering.

Prices are raised because value increases. Value may increase for a number of reasons, including customers having more discretionary income and therefore competing more with each other for the best leisure opportunities.

Another case was someone slipping and injuring themselves on a wet deck after a rain storm. Why are we a sue happy nation?

When did taking responsibility for your own actions and safety go out the door.

This isn't just happening on cruise lines.

Not unlike the way people buy lottery tickets hoping to cash in, they also sue with impunity hoping to cash in. Even if the cruise line/retailer/hotel/etc. settles, you might get a nice chunk of change. or a free cruise.

As for cruise fares, they will rise until there is no demand. (& then they will have a "sale.")

Edited by TheCalicoCat
typo

Because of the publicity about the amount of money awarded when some idiot spills hot coffee on themselves. Many lawsuits are ludicrous.
You need to

You need to read the rest of the coffee story, that lady had to have skin grafts from spilling that coffee.

You need to

You need to read the rest of the coffee story, that lady had to have skin grafts from spilling that coffee.

And whose fault is that? :(It certainly should not be the fault of the company who sold the hot coffee..

Laws are very clear..You should not be eating or drinking, adjusting your radio, seatbelt, disciplining kids etc while you drive!! Any driving instructor will tell you that, but look how many people are distracted by doing stupid things while driving..

So? If I have to have an operation because I stupidly chop my toe off am I entitled to money from the axe manufacturer?

So? If I have to have an operation because I stupidly chop my toe off am I entitled to money from the axe manufacturer?

I would have agreed about the coffee case until I saw an article. The woman wasn't driving and I'm sure we have all tried to remove a lid from a coffee cup before. http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

If a warning is not posted on the blade, handle and container / packaging then of course ;)
Not even then, because I used their product improperly. :)

I would have agreed about the coffee case until I saw an article. The woman wasn't driving and I'm sure we have all tried to remove a lid from a coffee cup before.
Okay, that does make a difference. I thought she was driving. But my point still is: others shouldn't have to pay for stupid things we do ourselves, and it's the publicity that is fueling the outrageous awards. McDonalds should have quickly settled out-of-court. Edited by jtl513

You need to

Plus there had been multiple prior incidents which put McDonalds on notice their intentionally super-heated coffee was a known hazard. Agree, the case was more complicated than the simplistic publicity it generated.

The variety of special diets accommodations on HAL ships requiring additional staff, prep and delivery space must also be adding to the bottom line expenses. But a necessity today to retain and accommodate a new group of passengers.

And new environmental regulations are a significant internal change too. Adding staff, equipment and procedures behind the scenes due to just there two new requirements are ways we don't even see where more money gets spent.

Labor competition additionally adds to operating costs as home countries have rising economies and other cruise lines actively come on board to "poach" the best HAL staffers with enticing better deals (as we were informed by an HR staffer on our last cruise)

And whose fault is that? :(It certainly should not be the fault of the company who sold the hot coffee..

Laws are very clear..You should not be eating or drinking, adjusting your radio, seatbelt, disciplining kids etc while you drive!! Any driving instructor will tell you that, but look how many people are distracted by doing stupid things while driving..

She was a passenger & the coffee was hot enough that she required skin to be grafted back onto her body. (That means it burned through every layer of her skin.)

But you are right, the laws are clear & those determined that the coffee that was sold by the business was sold at a defectively high temperature.

Edited by TheCalicoCat
typo

No, that would be an operator error. The axe is sold as sharp enough to chop off a toe.

On the other hand, coffee should not be sold at a temperature that will burn through 3 layers of skin.

On the other hand, coffee should not be sold at a temperature that will burn through 3 layers of skin.
Certainly McD's bears some responsibility (80% according to a jury in the article cited) but I was just using that as one example when answering the OP's questions "Why are we a sue happy nation? When did taking responsibility for your own actions and safety go out the door."

Certainly McD's bears some responsibility (80% according to a jury in the article cited) but I was just using that as one example when answering the OP's questions "Why are we a sue happy nation? When did taking responsibility for your own actions and safety go out the door."

Growth of the trial lawyer industry and insurance company deep pockets. They actually have an incestuous relationship. The bigger the pay-out for a notorious, high publicity case, the higher the premiums the insurance agencies get to charge on all policies the very next year.

"Why are we a sue happy nation? When did taking responsibility for your own actions and safety go out the door."

& to that I replied, "Not unlike the way people buy lottery tickets hoping to cash in, they also sue with impunity hoping to cash in."