Traveling with a a 17yo grandaughter

renjrusa

My wife and I are cruising on Granduer of the Seas and traveling with us is our granddaughter who is 17yo. She does live with us has a Brazilian passport and a US greencard.. Is there anything we need to be concerned with?. We have sailed many times with Rccl and my wife always uses her Us passport, would it be wise for my wife to bring her Brazilian passport so they could go through customs after the cruise together? I am taking her with us a a graduation present from high school..Any advice would be appreciated..

Personally, I'd bring both passports and if Immigration/Customs doesn't like the US one then use the Brazilian one. Also make sure you have a notarized letter from both parents giving you permission to sail with her and a letter giving you the right to treat for medical issues. I bring both my US and Canadian passport when traveling internationally.

I'm so paranoid that when I take the grandkids I make the parents (my son and daughter) not only write the letter and have it notarized, I also make them photocopy their passport page showing their personal information and signature to match the letter. Admittedly I go overboard but I have been asked for the letter several times. Since the parents may not be available at that exact minute I need them when clearly immigration I choose to have the little extra bit of insurance.

My daughter says she is happy to do it and that it is a small price to pay to have a two week vacation from the responsibility of being a parent.

Please advise your wife to use her US passport when returning to the US after the cruise. She can go through non-US Immigration line with your granddaughter, but dual passport holders must use their US passport when entering the US. (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html)

Please advise your wife to use her US passport when returning to the US after the cruise. She can go through non-US Immigration line with your granddaughter, but dual passport holders must use their US passport when entering the US. (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html)

Good point , cruises we always use just our American passports. When entering Brazil she is Brazilian and when entering the USA she uses her American passport...Also going to have her parents sign a notarized letter...

That's a good plan to have the notarised letter, and you're a nice grandfather to plan this. I hope you all have a great cruise!

Thanks, she lives with us. They moved here to go to school and graduating from high school this june...

Your granddaughter will be able to join you in the citizens line even though she isn't one.

Why because she is under 18?? That would certainly be easier for us. I am having her parents sign a notarized letter as a precaution anyway.