Scuba Certification Excursion

We were scuba diver level certified on Oasis and a few months later, completed open water on Allure. You do the book work in the conference center on the second day. You do have to do homework and take a test. The third day you meet at the aqua theater at 7:00am and dive in the aqua pool as it's 18 feet deep. Eastern you dive in St Thomas and western in Cozumel. It is so worth it. We dive all the time now. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be on Oasis in April. We know the Dive Center and we can ask for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That works too! I am going to email shore excursions but just in case I don't get an answer would appreciate you checking on board too (and never hurts to double-check anyway!! LOL).

Thanks,

Mikki

UPDATE: Got a response from RCL! Fairly quickly too. :cool:

Background-- my traveling companion signed up for the PADI Open Water Dive Course (exactly how the excursion is listed in case there are other versions). It does specify that "At the end of your certification course, you’ll be equipped to execute dives independently in depths of up to 60 feet."

I did notice that the excursion was NOT originally listed on the Shore Excursions and only showed up at about 70 days prior to the sailing date. So it may just depend on of they have PADI instructors available for that specific sailing.

Anyway, I was concerned about my friend receiving the medical waiver ahead of time (in case she needed any doctor's authorization) as well as the AT HOME portion (as I had read that others did their online portion on the ship). So I emailed the shore excursions email address (shorex@rccl.com) and within an hour my friend received an email with the medical waiver paperwork as well as login instructions for the ON LINE (at home) portion. I believe she said she had to submit the medical waiver first and then once approved, they would send her the login.

I did ask about the class schedule too but the only information they provided was that an email had been sent to my friend. All they sent though was the waiver/log in info. But the email also had the OASIS PADI instructors names and general email address on it so I contacted them directly yesterday since I was concerned that the training time on the ship would conflict with already booked activities. Signing up for the excursion does NOT list or block off the actual training times on the ship!

I already received a reply from Corey (s/he is the PADI Instructor on the OASIS) indicating the class/training times. It was a general/fill-in-the blank email that appears to be sent to those who sign up for the course giving you the actual times. This is what the email indicated:

Please see attachedyour PADI Open Water Course Schedule (Itinerary subject to change.)

DAY1: PORT CANAVERAL Welcomeaboard! Please visit us at the Dive Shop on Deck 15. Bring your completedmedical questionnaire and PADI online course confirmation. We'll do a quickquiz to check that you know your stuff and size you for your scuba gear.

DAY2: DAY AT SEA

3pm - 7 pm Classtime and equipment setup

DAY4: JAMAICA

6am - 10 am ConfinedWater Dives 1, 2 and 3

11am - 4:30 pm OpenWater Dives 1 and 2

DAY5: DAY AT SEA

6am - 10 am ConfinedWater Dives 4 and 5

DAY6: COZUMEL

9am - 1 pm OpenWater Dives 3 and 4

Very helpful information which will help with our planning. My friend knew it would a lot of time spent getting her PADI certification but it's something she has always wanted to do and his been unable to since she travels all the time for her job. I told her not to worry about me as I may be working on training for my new job too (getting the internet package of course, just hope that it's stable!).

So thought I'd share the update in case anyone else has signed up and was wondering what to expect or is thinking about signing up and was wondering about the time commitment. I will be sure to post a review/photos of her experience!

Mikki

That is very good info, thanks for the update. I may go that route on a future cruise, since it seems like a much better way to get it than to try and dive a cold, dirty lake in the midwest. My kids are excited to try scuba, so we will do a try scuba excursion this trip.

• 2 weeks later...
Good morning everyone,

Has anyone done the dive cert Excursion onboard. I've always wanted to do it. I see them in the pools on Sea day mornings.

Thanks for any input

Ryan

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

I noticed a lot of misinformation in some replies and thought I'd jump in here. Noticed someone say something about being able to dive to 80ft after certification, which is incorrect. My son and I are currently signed up for the Open Water Diver PADI certification on our April 9th sailing on the Anthem. There seems to be misconceptions about losing so much time on your cruise which really isn't the case. I researched this intensely before signing up for it and contacted royaldiver email beforehand as well. I also have the email for the dive instructors on the Anthem for our cruise too. After certification you are certified to dive to 60ft or the max depth reached during your open water dives. You have to complete a total of 4 open water dives to get certified and can only do 2 in one day. There are also 5 confined water dives in the pool on the ship but, these are combined into 2 sessions, in the morning, usually starting on your first sea day. All your class stuff is done via padi elearning, before your board, which frees up a lot of time that it could have taken to do on board. The best thing to do is to contact the dive shop for your specific cruise, which one person here did, to get the exact schedule for your course. Obviously, you will be doing 2 open water dives at two ports so these will basically be your excursions at those ports. If you're up for diving at those ports then it's not much extra time at all from your cruise vacation.

I noticed a lot of misinformation in some replies and thought I'd jump in here. Noticed someone say something about being able to dive to 80ft after certification, which is incorrect. My son and I are currently signed up for the Open Water Diver PADI certification on our April 9th sailing on the Anthem. There seems to be misconceptions about losing so much time on your cruise which really isn't the case. I researched this intensely before signing up for it and contacted royaldiver email beforehand as well. I also have the email for the dive instructors on the Anthem for our cruise too. After certification you are certified to dive to 60ft or the max depth reached during your open water dives. You have to complete a total of 4 open water dives to get certified and can only do 2 in one day. There are also 5 confined water dives in the pool on the ship but, these are combined into 2 sessions, in the morning, usually starting on your first sea day. All your class stuff is done via padi elearning, before your board, which frees up a lot of time that it could have taken to do on board. The best thing to do is to contact the dive shop for your specific cruise, which one person here did, to get the exact schedule for your course. Obviously, you will be doing 2 open water dives at two ports so these will basically be your excursions at those ports. If you're up for diving at those ports then it's not much extra time at all from your cruise vacation.

Just as a further update, I received the schedule from the dive instructors for my upcoming 8 night cruise. Here is the schedule:

April 9th 15:30 - 17:30 (Bayonne) - Quick review and equipment setup

April 10th 07:00 - 10:00 (Cruising) - Confined Sessions 1,2 and 3

April 11th 07:00 - 10:00 (Cruising) - Confined Sessions 4 and 5

April 13th 08:30 - 11:30 (CocoCay) - Open Water 1 and 2

April 14th 13:30 - 18:30 (Nassau) - Open Water 3 and 4

As you can see, mainly just losing time in the mornings during our sea days and only 3 hours. The couple of hours on boarding day isn't that bad either. Day 12, we'll be in Port Canaveral and will be at Universal all day. Then there are the 4 dives across the other 2 port days. I still have enough time in Coco Cay that we will be doing a jet ski tour after the dives and in Nassau, if we chose to, we could do something before those dives. So, with a large portion completed before the cruise, you can get certified on the ship and still enjoy your vacation.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Awesome information in this thread! Thanks to everyone involved. I was investigating getting my certification after many "intro to scuba" excursions but never had the time. I'll be sailing the Navigator OTS for a 9 night to ABC in January and the Open Water course with pre cruise e-learning is available.

Y'all helped me make up my mind.

Pat

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but have been trying to get the PADI certification schedule for our 5-night cruise to Bermuda on Anthem OTS. We sail at 4:00 on day 1 followed by a sea day before arriving in Bermuda. The whole family (4 kids, 3 grandkids, etc.) is going and wondering what the schedule will be so we can plan other things.

Does anyone have the email address for the RCCL dive shop? I tried calling excursions and emailing shorex@rccl.com to no avail.

37 minutes ago, kj1231 said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread but have been trying to get the PADI certification schedule for our 5-night cruise to Bermuda on Anthem OTS. We sail at 4:00 on day 1 followed by a sea day before arriving in Bermuda. The whole family (4 kids, 3 grandkids, etc.) is going and wondering what the schedule will be so we can plan other things.

Does anyone have the email address for the RCCL dive shop? I tried calling excursions and emailing shorex@rccl.com to no avail.

AN_ShoreExcursionsDiveStaff@rccl.com

There you go for the dive shop. That main email is useless, you should direct questions to the staff on the ship. Also CC AN_ShoreExcursionsManager@rccl.com

One of the two will get back to you with the exact planned schedule. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, as I got PADI certified on the Anthem a little under 2 years ago. Great experience, you'll be in very capable hands.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

You might try searching for an Anthem Cruise Compass on this itinerary (from last summer) to see operating hours.

The schedule for PADI certification won't be on a cruise compass. He has to contact them directly for that info.

Already heard back. Thanks again!!

DAY 1: Bayonne, Cape Liberty  Welcome aboard! Please visit us at the Dive Shop on Deck 14 at 4:00pm. Bring your completed medical questionnaire and PADI online course confirmation. We'll do a quick review to check that you know your stuff and size you for your scuba gear.  Then we will learn how to put our equipment together, this should take an hour or so.  

DAY 2: Day at Sea  06:00 - 09:00 AM
Confined Water Dives 1 & 2 and swim tests (Pool session onboard)

Confined Water Dives 3, 4 and 5 (Pool session onboard)

DAY 3: Kings Wharf, Bermuda 09:00 AM - 01:00 PM
Open Water Dives 1 and 2

DAY 4: Kings Wharf, Bermuda  09:00 AM - 01:00 PM
Open Water Dives 3 and 4

1 minute ago, kj1231 said:

DAY 1: Bayonne, Cape Liberty  Welcome aboard! Please visit us at the Dive Shop on Deck 14 at 4:00pm. Bring your completed medical questionnaire and PADI online course confirmation. We'll do a quick review to check that you know your stuff and size you for your scuba gear.  Then we will learn how to put our equipment together, this should take an hour or so.  

Open Water Dives 1 and 2

Open Water Dives 3 and 4

If you are doing your 5 confined dives in 3 hours, that is really aggressive.  There is allot to learn and practice.  My son and I did our PADI open water locally this fall, and had 3 pool sessions to cover the 5 dives and each was around 3-4 hours long.  The open water is not as big of a deal, we did all of our testing on our first 3 dives the first day, and then the second day just did a dive for the 4th.

11 minutes ago, kj1231 said:

Open Water Dives 1 and 2

Open Water Dives 3 and 4

Looks good. Meant to tell you they reply pretty quick if not busy. They are very good with getting the confined stuff knocked out quickly. People may try to knock the short time frame but honestly a lot of local places stretch out the time unnecessarily to justify what they charge for it. They won't move on until they know you got stuff down. Dives 1 and 2 will involve repeating a lot of stuff you went over in the confined dives, to show you can do them in open water, while 3 will be a few more things. 4 is just you doing the dive with your paired buddy as if you were out doing a dive with someone. Oh and make sure anyone doing it with you has equalizing down; that was the killer for my son on our first dive... he had a bit of a cold and wasn't able to equalize and only got through the first dive as a result. Didn't think to make him practice blowing and pinching his nose beforehand to make sure he knew how to do that properly and its some bad ear pain if you keep descending and can't equalize.

Some pointers for on the ship, first, be prepared and rested for that swim test; its a pain in the ass doing all those laps in that tiny pool... take your time, it's not a race. Doing all the confined dives in one period like that, is a lot of time in the water; use the wet suit for sure. Even with the wet suit, your body temp is going to steadily drop in that pool water; it feels comfortable when you're in it and warm but it's not 98 degree water and your body temp is going to go down and you will start shivering. Use the hot tub to bring your body temp back up when taking breaks and you'll find it will go much more smoothly the rest of the way. And bring some bottled water to keep hydrated throughout those sessions.

• Like 1

By the way I did end up doing my OW cert on the Navigator OTS last january and it went very well.  I was on a 9 or 10 day cruise so we had pool sessions on day 2 and 4 and certification dives in Aruba and Curacao on days 5 and 7. 

My instructor was absolutely amazing and it went very well. But do make sure you have all your classwork done ahead of time (you will not have time on the ship).  I used the ipad e-learning and it went very well for me.  Onboard we met the instructor on day 1 after sailaway for a written exam (review of the classwork, they need to make sure you did the work yourself!), fitting and assigning of gear and going over how everything works so we could start bright and early in the pool the next morning.

Note:  When doing e-learning don't forget to do the dive tables!!! It's listed as "optional" but there are questions on it in the review exam.

My estimate is that on a 7 days it's going to be tight but doable.  A very important point to remember is that due to the limited time available failure is always an option.  This course is not a "gimme" and though the instructor will work with you on your weaknesses, he/she only has a certain amount of time to get things done.  

I've now been certified a year and am really happy I finally took the time to get certified!  Doing those "Discover scuba" excursions on every cruise was getting expensive 😄  I've been diving in Aruba, Curacao, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Nassau in the last year and am sailing on the Carnival Dream next week to dive Cozumel, Belize and Roatan and the NLC Bliss to dive Nassau, Tortola and St-Thomas in March.  Got my stuff ready! 

IMG_0353%20%281%29-XL.jpg

On 3/2/2017 at 2:18 PM, MandyGirl said:

We just did our Open Water certs last March and had really looked at RCCL for it. Ultimately we decided on going back to a dive shop in St Thomas where I felt really comfortable with the dive instructor from a previous Discover dive. (Yes.... my fourth Discover dive.... finally got over my fear of getting certified! Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan, then St Thomas.... and she won my confidence - thank you Coki Dive Center!!). We had even considered doing the class part and confined water at home then do referral dives in ports on a cruise and researched that for NCL Escape ... but ultimately we decided we wanted to enjoy the dives more and stick with a resort course, being afraid it would take too much time away from the cruise. Worked well for us. We did almost all skills in first dives and had very few skills left to do for dives 3 and 4

I have been certified and dive through non-ship excursions when cruising all the time.  I was hoping a few of my daughters would get certified and dive with me.  Two of my four daughters tried a Discover Scuba in Costa Maya.  One loved it and the other could not get over her anxiety of being deep under water in the ocean.

Fast forward two years and I offered my four daughters to take the scuba certification course back here in Canada and then do their certification dives while cruising this March.  That way it will not take time out of their cruise to do the pool and classroom work.  Two of my four daughters (one 15 and one 10 years of age) completed their in class sessions, pool sessions, and written PADI tests on a Groupon deal for $99 Canadian each locally).  They have a note saying they have completed these and I have set up two dives in St. Thomas at Coki Dive centre (who was great when I dived with him years ago) and with Roger's Scuba Shack in Barbados (whom I have dove with twice previously).  They should be fully certified at the end of the cruise.  Great way to save money and maximize your cruise time doing activities other than reading, studying, and practicing skills in the pool on the ship (unless of course paying extra to swim in the aquatheatre pool is what you are really wanting to do).

Edited by Russ Lomas
spelling error

On 3/2/2017 at 7:46 AM, matj2000 said:

Do it at home.....

Yes, do it at home, you can do your open water dives, but you don’t really need to do all the class work and dive tables while on a cruise.  I would do everything including the open water dives at home and then do real nice dives on the cruise, but at least do your classwork at home, and arrange to do your open water with a local affiliated dive shop in your first stop.

jc

14 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yes, do it at home

I think the ideal would be to do the classwork and pool work at home and the open water dives on the cruise.  Gives plenty of time to master the required material in the pool beforehand and get as much practice as you can.  Doing all 5 pool dives on the ship in one morning seems a tad rushed to me.

On the other hand, doing the OW dives "at home" may not be an acceptable option depending where home is.  I'm in Quebec and have less than ZERO interest in cold water diving in murky low viz lakes, or cold water in a quarry so I did it all down in the nice warm Caribbean.  

Pat

2 hours ago, Pat.D said:

I think the ideal would be to do the classwork and pool work at home and the open water dives on the cruise.  Gives plenty of time to master the required material in the pool beforehand and get as much practice as you can.  Doing all 5 pool dives on the ship in one morning seems a tad rushed to me.

On the other hand, doing the OW dives "at home" may not be an acceptable option depending where home is.  I'm in Quebec and have less than ZERO interest in cold water diving in murky low viz lakes, or cold water in a quarry so I did it all down in the nice warm Caribbean.  

Pat

I know this is an ancient thread, but so is my original scuba certification.

I agree with you 100%, Pat.

I remember my open water dive in November in a lake in Missouri.  Visibility was about 2 foot, and the water temp at the service was 50 degrees.  Lovely.

Made it much easier to do a real dive in the ocean.

jc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pat.D said:

Pat

Completely agree.  My son and I did our OW this fall in Iowa after doing discover in Cozumel.  Glad we had the time to practice the skills over and over, and get completely comfortable.  We did the ow dives in a lake where we had less than 1' visibility at times (I almost ran into my son's tank, was only inches from it before I saw it while following a line to a sail boat).

We are planning our AOW when we are down in the keys this summer, looking forward to some clear, warm water again.

• Like 1