Santorini

bazer

I wouldn't think so. First of all, the village is at the top of cliffs so you'd need to take the cable car which may not be that easy. The main area is quite sloping, narrow and very uneven. It also gets very crowded and I can't imagine pushing a wheelchair down there.

bazer

have the same situation,on Azura in September, might have to organise private tour,not sensible for us to join group tours.

Hi yes we go in September A728 our golden anniversary

Baza

Looking at videos and web pages,this looks like it will not be possible for us,somewhat annoyed.

A disabled friend of ours went last summer and had the same doubts but managed well.

The first issue is that Santorini is always a tendering port, so you need to be able to get onto the lifeboats. The staff are very used to dealing with people of all ages and abilities so that shouldn't be a problem.

Secondly the donkey ride is probably a no-no, so you need to use the cable car to get to the main village. You do have to climb steps to get in a carriage but this should be OK, even if you are in a wheelchair.

Thirdly the "streets" at the top are narrow and almost always crowded. However the views from the top are worth the effort, even if you don't explore all the alleyways and just deposit yourself in one of the bars and restaurants which are readily available without any further walking at all!

Hope this helps.

We did an excursion and there were no issues when disembarking as where we landed was quite flat.

Not sure re the cable car down

Re the donkeys ------------ please don't use them even if not disabled ..................

Thank you, would not dream of using the donkeys.

Can managed the tender,however I think we have decided to stay on board, steps both ends, possible long queues, for the lift and then the tenders, not ideal when facilities are needed more often then most.

Not concerned about narrow streets and cobbles,more about what we can achieve without impinging on our fellow travellers.

But this is still a long way away, things could change

Baza

Fully understand, however not totally, ready to give in.

I read there is a ferry,interested to where it goes, and how long it takes, and how frequent it sails,might be an opportunity to land somewhere reasonably flat?

Baza

Just been reading, that the cruise excursions, tender from the ship to Athinios Port, which looks ideal for us.

Even if we have to purchase an excursion, but remain in Athinios and rejoin, on the return to the ship.

However I do not believe that P&O, have not already made this possible,for people in our situation.

So all is not lost!

My husband uses a wheelchair and is very unsteady on his feet. P&O do a trip called Easy Santorini which takes you to a different port, no cable car required . You go up in a coach and have a number of stops for photos including the Santos winery which was lovely. The tenders are run by the Greeks and they don't have health and safet rules and are very helpful at getting you on and off the tenders. It was on my bucket list to go to Santorini and it was beautiful. If you can book this trip then go for it and you won't regret it.

Passengers on ship's excursions are tendered to Athinios Port which is indeed flat and where the coaches pick you up for your trip. There is very little there as I remember - I don't think it's a proposition to just stay there.

But do check carefully with destination services exactly what any excursion entails as I think most excursions end in Thira where they give you a ticket for the cable car and you make your own way down after some free time. It is often busy with long queues for the cable car down to the base of the cliffs at Thira - note this is not the port at Athinios. I don't think they run tenders back to the ship from Athinios because passengers don't return there after their excursion. So you may not be able to get back to the ship from there. (Pepsi's description of the Easy Santorini excursion may in fact return from Athinios so could be the answer for you.)

One other possibility occurs to me but you'd have to research it thoroughly to make sure the situation is as I describe. It's a couple of years since we stayed on Santorini so it may have changed.

Passengers who are not on organised ship's trips are not tendered to Athinios but to the dock at the bottom of the cliffs below Thira where the cable car is. I believe there is a ferry from the dock there if that would be suitable for you. It goes to Ammoudi - the harbour below the village of Oia. Oia is even more attractive imo than Thira. At Ammoudi are some characterful cafés for a drink or a meal. Their speciality is fish. But there is a road from the harbour here up to Oia. I think the ferry ticket even includes a minibus shuttle up to Oia.

We actually walked down the steps from Oia to Ammoudi so haven't used the ferry but after buying a drink at the café they offered to ring for a taxi for us to get up to Oia. It wasn't much. If you could get to Ammoudi then to Oia and return via this route you would experience the views and enjoy the very different character of this beautiful village. There are loads of cafes with wonderful views in Oia. And at the centre of the village are some flatter broader pathways although you would probably decide to pass on the narrower cobbled alleyways.

Whatever you decide I hope you are able to experience something of this destination. It is a one-off and quite spectacular.

What a shame! I thought I'd try to research the ferry to Ammoudi for you and found this link. Note the pink alert box bottom right. It seems that due to legal issues this ferry has ceased operations. That was updated Aug 16 so unless there is a reversal of the situation for the new season this no longer appears to be an option. Very disappointing. It would have been our choice plan for the next time we visited Santorini.

https://www.santoriniport.com/santorini-water-taxi/

I'd definitely give pepsi's suggestion some consideration - it would be such a pity to miss seeing something of this amazing island. Best wishes. I hope you are able to get off and enjoy Santorini.

We were at Santorini last year, there are a few shops and places to get a drink after you get off the tender, but not enough to keeep you occupied for a few hours. We had a donkey ride up to the top which was an experience but walked down which I would not recommend to anyone the steps are so slippery took us about an hour to get to the bottom

Hi cruisers wife in wheelchair can walk a bit but wobbly can we get around the shops and cafes in Santorini 👍👍🚢

When you get off the tender there are several touristy shops on the bottom but it is a must to go up the cable car to appreciate the island and the narrow whitewashed streets. If I was in your position I would take a tour to the other side of the island where it is flatter and more wheelchair friendly.

love sailing with RCCL

pepsi10, ktuzseeka and lindyloo22

Thank you for your time, and the kindness freely given, to us, in our predicament.

I have contacted P&O to see what they suggest.

As for possible tours,will need to wait until they are released.

But groups do not work for us.

We would be happy to find a Taverna,overlooking the water, and have a very long lunch.

Thank you

It might also depend when you are going and how many ships are going to be in. We are there next month and there are going to be 5 ships in, 3 of them very big ones. I'm concerned the whole island might actually collapse, let alone that we might have a long wait at the cable cars, LOL! Obviously the more ships are in, the more crowded the streets are going to be which might affect whether you want to be navigating them in a wheelchair.

Many thanks cruise friends for all your tips keep them coming🚢🚢 a good web page is what's in port lots of info and how many ships are in port any other pages welcome see you in 194 days but who's counting 👍👍🚢🚢🚢

Many thanks cruise friends for all your tips keep them coming[emoji568][emoji568] a good web page is what's in port lots of info and how many ships are in port any other pages welcome see you in 194 days but who's counting [emoji106][emoji106][emoji568][emoji568][emoji568]

Snap, your on Azura in September and I see you are on the roll call. I have also followed this thread as I use a mobility scooter. My thoughts are to have an extra sea day. We normally get off everywhere but I can see little point here. Not that bothered in going around in a coach.

May see you on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app