Can you order a box lunch to take off the ship for an excursion?

courtneyMC

Just don't do it in Australia.

The rules are very strict, but they expect the ship to inform passengers and to police the rules.

BUT

They do turn up with sniffer dogs and we were told, that if they catch just ONE person, the authorities conclude that they cannot trust the ship to police the rules correctly, and that they need to do so themselves.

Reportedly the result is that, if they catch just one person, EVERYONE will be individually checked, and that the delays to all passengers would be 'significant'.

I stress that, although I can confirm that they definitely had sniffer dogs at Sydney both on our turnaround day and at the end of our second cruise, we did not see anyone get caught - so this is only hearsay, and how much this was scaremongering by the ship I am not in a position to comment.

BUT

I certainly wouldn't like to be the passenger that everyone knew had caused lots of people to have their tour arrangements disrupted.

If Rick Steves can do it why can't we? :')

Rick Steves buys the ingredients for his picnic lunches after he is in a town. He doesn't bring food from the previous town (the equivalent of bringing it ashore) . In his one cruise guide, there is no suggestion of doing so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I personally don't bring ship food off but I do bring snacks I bring from home... usually I don't eat them but it's always good to have something just in case.

Rick Steves in his cruising the Med on a budget says eat a large breakfast on the ship and bag up the rest to keep you going all day until dinner. He does say it's not classy but it's a way to save money. He clearly does it with his lady friend in one of his videos as well.

Having been to both Australia and New Zealand a couple of times, I can vouch that both countries take their agricultural rules very seriously.

Pretty much every country has rules against bringing food in. The penalties can be quite severe.

Also, why bother.Part of the enjoyment is eating out at a new place. Why leave the ship, and basically commit a crime (albeit a minor one) when you are supposed to be relaxing and enjoying your trip.

From my point of view, when you are entering a country, you should really try to follow that countries laws. There are very good reasons the countries are enforcing these rules.

Rick Steves in his cruising the Med on a budget says eat a large breakfast on the ship and bag up the rest to keep you going all day until dinner. He does say it's not classy but it's a way to save money. He clearly does it with his lady friend in one of his videos as well.

Classy or not, the prices charged for a simple lunch at most places make many people do the same thing.

OP specifically mentioned St Petersburg. I don't remember dogs there but the passport people look like they would rather shoot you than let you in. It is fun to try to get them to smile, though.

Classy or not, the prices charged for a simple lunch at most places make many people do the same thing.

It has nothing to do with class. It has to do with morals. It is the same as "well I only stole $100 from the guy". $100 or 1 million you still committed the crime. I get where you are coming from. You like to encourage other to commit crimes and sit back and laugh among your friends how successful you were in getting sheep to do what you want.

You're the guy who takes all the stuff out of a hotel room because "you paid for it with the room". Heaven forbid you leave that shampoo bottle behind. You are the guy who empties the bowl of candy in the lobby because it is there for people to take. Just because you think that is what you should do is fine. Just stop telling people it is okay to break the law and disrespect other countries.

Anyone can justify anything but you went to this country to see what it was like and enjoying it. Do that by honoring the .laws put into place in those countries.

As others have said, if you can't afford to buy your lunch, tips, etc. you can't afford to cruise. Save a dollar a day and you will have more then enough to afford that $5 to $12 meals ashore.

As others have said, if you can't afford to buy your lunch, tips, etc. you can't afford to cruise. Save a dollar a day and you will have more then enough to afford that $5 to $12 meals ashore.

I can afford to buy my own meals & more but if given the opportunity to save a few dollars here & there I will certainly do so as will many others on the ship.

Enjoy your next $15 taco meal.

It has nothing to do with class. It has to do with morals. It is the same as "well I only stole $100 from the guy". $100 or 1 million you still committed the crime. I get where you are coming from. You like to encourage other to commit crimes and sit back and laugh among your friends how successful you were in getting sheep to do what you want.

You're the guy who takes all the stuff out of a hotel room because "you paid for it with the room". Heaven forbid you leave that shampoo bottle behind. You are the guy who empties the bowl of candy in the lobby because it is there for people to take. Just because you think that is what you should do is fine. Just stop telling people it is okay to break the law and disrespect other countries.

Anyone can justify anything but you went to this country to see what it was like and enjoying it. Do that by honoring the .laws put into place in those countries.

The word entitled comes to mind.

Edited by Colo Cruiser