Rhapsody of the Seas, West. Caribbean questions.

I am looking at an itinerary on the Rhapsody of the Seas next March, 2018. It leaves from Tampa and goes to some interesting ports that are great for our interests...scuba and beaches: Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya. I know it is an older ship. I have been on Brilliance of the Seas and Voyager of the Seas. Also have been on Holland's Westerdam to Alaska and am booked on a Windstar Tahiti cruise next July. I really prefer smaller ships and that is what appeals to me about there Rhapsody...it carries a bit over 2000 passages. I have vowed never to get a ship with over 2000 so it is just a hair over. So the questions: Is the ship showing its age? Has anyone been on this itinerary? This trip would be a sisters trip with my sister. We are both in our 60s, very active, and enjoy meeting people. But not interested in shows, entertainment, shopping, and bells and whistles of larger ships. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Edited by KathiB

Thanks for the reply. Any thing you particularly liked about the ports or ship? Have done around 5 cruises on various ships and I know this is an older ship. Probably fine for us but like to hear others experiences.

Thanks for the reply. Any thing you particularly liked about the ports or ship? Have done around 5 cruises on various ships and I know this is an older ship. Probably fine for us but like to hear others experiences.

Loved the Maya Chan resort in Costa Maya.

Thanks. We spent a week in a beautiful home 15 north of Mahahual (the town of the port Costa Maya). We visited many ruins, beaches, and found many great beach restaurants. We would plan that day to go to one of our favorite beach restaurants and just swim, eat, and relax. We are hoping to scuba dive at some other ports. I know the ship is smaller and older...did that bother you?

Are you fairly active? There's not much to "do" on board. The ship is the perfect size in relation to passenger count though. Never felt crowded. Always found a deck chair, seating in the windjammer was never too bad, etc. But it's a standard cruise experience. Lounge around the pool, play some bingo/gamble, see a show, eat, repeat the next day. The ship is port intensive thankfully. The crew was also great. Probably the most overall friendly we've ever had. But it's definitely geared to an older demographic. We're younger and enjoyed ourselves immensely, because we knew what we were going into. We made it a point to have active adventures in the ports. The price we paid factored a lot into it as well. It was almost half the price of other 7 night voyages when we booked it. But next time, we're probably booking a more modern ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the same itinerary March 4-11 2017 and liked the ship. I have only been on one other RCCL cruise and it was the Navigator which was newer and bigger. The Rhapsody inside cabin 7063 was the smallest cabin I have ever been on and I have been on about 10 cruises Celebrity, Princess, NCL and Carnival. We never heard any noise outside our cabin and I liked the location.The Rhapsody was fine for myself and 2 other friends in our mid 50's and 60. We ate dinner in the main dining room each night and twice on sea days for lunch which we liked. The shows were fun I like that they have live music, the 2 comedians were really good. Between the Navigator and the Rhapsody I probably liked the Navigator a bit more but would go on the Rhapsody again if I liked the itinerary.

We are in our early 70s with 51 cruises and aren't into wall climbing and all the other crazy stuff. Give me a good book on the outside promenade and I'm in heaven. We sailed on the Rhapsody on the Feb 4th cruise and we thought she was just perfect for us, ship is in great shape for 20 years old and is kept spotless. We booked the same cruise on her for Nov 26th. Love sailing out of Tampa, we are 90 miles away, easiest embarkation ever for us, we were on board a little after 11AM and we're having lunch in the Windjammer before 1130.