Oceania visit to Harvest Caye 'Belize'

p598738

I am there right now on Marina. Unless you buy a tour from the ship there is no way to get to the mainland.

I was hoping to visit the small town which is 3 miles from this small island which is just for the cruise ship(s). So much for a visit to soak up the local culture and get a real sense of Belize.

Disappointed. Shame on you Oceania.

Yes, your thread title is actually pretty accurate that this is a visit to Harvest Caye that just happens to be in Belize.

I understand your disappointment but if you researched this cruise stop on CC you would've found this information and some fairly thorough reviews.

What is it you are shaming Oceania for? Stopping there? It would be like a stop to a private beach resort somewhere except as no additional cost.

Perhaps you mistakenly believe that Oceania owns this Caye. NCLH does. NCLH operates the Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises. One of the objectives of Havest Caye is for other cruise lines, not operated by NCLH to also stop there.

With that perspective it might make more sense why you're isolated to this enclave. Think of it this way. A not uncommon activity at Caribbean cruise ports is to hire transportation to visit a beach and then pay a service provider for access to a "beach club"and that might include a lounger and access to kayak or snorkel rentals, food for purchase (or sometimes included) etc. There are obviously variations on this.

And at some of these, if they are on a small Caye, only transportation to and from that 'resort' is available. Other places could be just a public beach but you paid to use loungers, get some privacy from beach vendors, etc.

So Harvest Caye somewhat mimics that model. Also bear in mind this facility has only recently been opened up. They do have a small ferry to shuttle workers back and forth as they are locals as opposed to many other "private islands" that does not employ locals but uses the cruise ships staff on shore. I suspect at some point they will provide a ferry service for ship's pax for a fee.

That said I want to make it clear that I'm not defending Oceania and that I to will soon be on a cruise that stops at HC and, like you, I was initially disappointed that I could not some other areas of Belize. However, knowing more about this facility, and that the ship can conveniently dock within walking distance, and golf cart shuttles are provided as well, to and from the ship we will be taking it as a pleasant beach day. Thankfully no tendering so one can go back to the ship and enjoy its facilities, such a "free lunch".

I hope the rest of your ports of call meet your expectations and you enjoy your cruise.

Most Regent passengers were not happy to be held captive on the island and have little desire to go to a "Disneyesque" version of Belize. When I read Erica's post (Sr. Editor, CC) on the Regent board, I had a better understanding of what is going on.

"I was on Harvest Caye yesterday and just wanted to report on a couple of things I learned from the Guest Services Director there. He said the reason no private tours are offered is because the municipal pier was damaged in a hurricane. They have since rebuilt and are now working on establishing a contract with a water taxi service to Placencia. Once that is established, they can run taxis to the mainland and offer private tours. (I don't know why private tours can't pick up directly at the island, but perhaps it's a licensing/safety thing to control who can dock?)

He also said that they are working on establishing snorkeling tours but aren't ready yet. So it might be if you're not cruising for a year, some situations might change by the time you're there. It is a very new port."

Wish that someone had communicated this information to Regent and Oceania passengers!

Thanks for the quick reply abcdefghijklmnopqrwxyz.

I would make a couple of points:

1. How difficult and/or expensive might it be to provide transportation to the mainland ? Since workers are transported back and forth it surely is doable. There might be (like me) customers willing to pay for the privilege.

2. One can only go to the facility or stay on the ship of one does not buy a tour. Interestingly you cannot use shipboard credits for food or beverages at aforementioned facility. OBC can only be used to buy things in the shops.

Belize is one destination where we did a land tour (long LONG ago) and enjoyed it very much. So much that I can't conceive of one day in port on a cruise ship. Of course, if your main interest is a beach day, that will work for you. In our case we spent about a week visiting Mayan sites, had 3 nights in Tikal (so much nicer to be able to go into the site when the day tourists are not there), plus a few last nights on one of the Cayes.

I would be frustrated if I wouldn't to be able to spend time in the interior because that is where our real interests lie.

Hope these problems are solved asap so that future passengers won't be as disappointed as the OP.

Mura

We did a one day port stop in Belize and loved it. We took a private excursion about 60 minutes from the ship. Carried an inner tube to the river which we sat in while going through pitch black caves (we had a flashlight so we could see the clear waters, the stalagmites and stalactites - really interesting). We were given lunch (great local food) and took the mini van back to the ship. Once you are away from Belize City, the place is fascinating!

It was a beautiful port stop...... now Oceania, Regent and NCL are stuck on a make-believe island (it may be beautiful but isn't the reality of Belize).

I have been to Belize and Harvest Caye. Both have their pros and cons depending on what you like. I can say the shuttles from the ship are brilliant and the drivers are super helpful. They even have beach wheel chairs and the island is very accessible. The beach is very nice, very large and there are 3000 loungers. The pool is fresh water, large and life guarded. The free nature area with the Butterfly house with the Blue Morphos and the bird area are very pleasant. We returned to the ship to eat rather than pay for additional food on the island. It was a pleasant enough beach day. It will be interesting to see how Belize and cruise ships adapt to each other in time. I have done the river cruise and the visit to Altun Ha before and the ride through the manatee reserve. I would have done it again and hope they eventually offer such excursions from Harvest Caye.

We did a one day port stop in Belize and loved it. We took a private excursion about 60 minutes from the ship. Carried an inner tube to the river which we sat in while going through pitch black caves (we had a flashlight so we could see the clear waters, the stalagmites and stalactites - really interesting). We were given lunch (great local food) and took the mini van back to the ship. Once you are away from Belize City, the place is fascinating!

It was a beautiful port stop...... now Oceania, Regent and NCL are stuck on a make-believe island (it may be beautiful but isn't the reality of Belize).

We did this exact same excursion with Regent.We loved it.Only thing that upset us was the tatty coach with a bullet hole straight through the windscreen! But it got us from A to B and plenty of sights on the way.!:D

For anyone who has experienced Harvest Caye --- we will be there on Marina later this month. The various ship's excursions that we were interested are already sold out - in particular the electric float boat. For someone who has been there -- can one obtain one of these boats directly from the vendor on the Caye or does the ship completely control access? Since Marina is significantly smaller than many ships that might call there, wondering if there are ample boats, kayaks, etc. to rent upon arrival. Thanks in advance.

For anyone who has experienced Harvest Caye --- we will be there on Marina later this month. The various ship's excursions that we were interested are already sold out - in particular the electric float boat. For someone who has been there -- can one obtain one of these boats directly from the vendor on the Caye or does the ship completely control access? Since Marina is significantly smaller than many ships that might call there, wondering if there are ample boats, kayaks, etc. to rent upon arrival. Thanks in advance.

If you cannot or do not buy a tour you cannot get to the mainland. Thus my complaint.

Please see my review of Harvest Key in my recent thread, it's a short thread, the post is titled Day 4 Harvest Key

newbie60 you should recheck that excursion when you're logged into your booking.

I was looking at it the other day and saw in red type "This excursion is closed or sold out" but that may or may not be true. It's poorly worded. On the right-hand side is a drop-down box titled something like "available times". It may have one or more times for the excursion.

The display defaults to the first time slot offered for that excursion. And in this case that one is "...is closed or sold out" but if you select a different time you might find that they are available.

Maybe if they reworded it to something like "This excursion time slot is closed or sold out". Or added "Check for other available times if any" it would be less confusing. I know you're not alone thinking that these excursions are sold out when in fact they are not. It reads "closed" so why look further.

Their user interface is not well designed in places. Instead of a list drop-down box the page populated a series of times with radio buttons it would be much more clear. They could even put the words "closed" beside the ones that are sold or cancelled so one could immediately see what's available without having to click through a list repeatedly.

Hope you get your boat booked.

I'm pretty sure you can rent one day of. Many of the Harvest Caye attractions (zip line, etc.) weren't even included in Marina's list of shore excursions on my February cruise -- you just sign up or rent the equipment once you're there. Also, as the island is designed to host Norwegian's huge ships, I doubt many of the on-island rentals will sell out with just Marina there. (Shore excursions are a different story.)

I'd recommending keeping an eye on the online reservations to see what changes, and then inquiring once you board. Often there's more availability once you're on the cruise than you were led to believe pre-cruise.

Please see my review of Harvest Key in my recent thread, it's a short thread, the post is titled Day 4 Harvest Key

I'm a little confused in your description on the other thread. Did you have to pay for this like a regular excursion, or did you just get off the boat and visit the Island?

I'm a little confused in your description on the other thread. Did you have to pay for this like a regular excursion, or did you just get off the boat and visit the Island?

You get off the boat. They have shuttle to transport you down the covered dock (it is quite a distance). It is not a paid excursion but food and drink in for purchase. You can always go back to the ship to eat for free. There are water stations for free. And misting fans.

The ship docks at the island! I just went along the dock to the island, went up to the vendors, paid nothing, but had to sign up with my room number and a waiver and off I went on the electric boat and the kayak. The same procedure for the clam shell and the lockers. I did not participate in zip llining or the other activities but according to other Oceania guests, they were all "free" (included) as well.

I personally did not care for Harvest Caye, it's entirely too artificial and reminded me of the country pavilions at Epcot in Disney World, or the film "Please exit through the gift shop". From the ship it looked somewhat interesting, but once on the island it's such an artificial environment that there isn't even any snorkeling off the beach. Sure there's a "nature experience", an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

Just spent a month in Ambergris Caye, an island off the coast of Belize. The Belizean people are furious about the blasting of the reefs that their govt allowed. This new port will be the death of the restaurants and tourism that had been set up in the Belize city port. So many small businesses will be hurt. Also, we spoke to many tour boat owners, who we went snorkeling with. None of them will pick up in Harvest Caye, or are being told they can't.

The last sad point is that it may be too far away from Hol Chan for a day excursion. Hol Chan and Shark alley were the best snorkeling of my life. So when we dock next Feb. we'll just use the free beach and snorkel in the Caymens.

Just spent a month in Ambergris Caye, an island off the coast of Belize. The Belizean people are furious about the blasting of the reefs that their govt allowed. This new port will be the death of the restaurants and tourism that had been set up in the Belize city port. So many small businesses will be hurt. Also, we spoke to many tour boat owners, who we went snorkeling with. None of them will pick up in Harvest Caye, or are being told they can't.

The last sad point is that it may be too far away from Hol Chan for a day excursion. Hol Chan and Shark alley were the best snorkeling of my life. So when we dock next Feb. we'll just use the free beach and snorkel in the Caymens.

I feel badly for the Belizean people. IMO, this is the worst possible thing that NCL could have done to the people of Belize. Belize is a wonderful place to visit (once you get away from Belize City) with many things to do. Building a "pretend" Belize experience is an insult to everyone that lives there. If I were unfortunate enough to be on a cruise that stops in Harvest Caye, I will not leave the ship. If Oceania passengers let Oceania know that they find this port stop unacceptable, they may find a way to at least tender in another area of Belize.

Note: I would not book a cruise that includes Harvest Caye but some itineraries pass the area on the way to other places.

Not a fan of Harvest Caye. One of the best things of cruising is seeing new and interesting places. Harvest Caye is basically a resort run by a cruise line. Don't get me wrong the pool is beautiful and there is plenty to do, but none of it authentic Belize.

I feel badly for the Belizean people. IMO, this is the worst possible thing that NCL could have done to the people of Belize. Belize is a wonderful place to visit (once you get away from Belize City) with many things to do. Building a "pretend" Belize experience is an insult to everyone that lives there. If I were unfortunate enough to be on a cruise that stops in Harvest Caye, I will not leave the ship. If Oceania passengers let Oceania know that they find this port stop unacceptable, they may find a way to at least tender in another area of Belize.

Note: I would not book a cruise that includes Harvest Caye but some itineraries pass the area on the way to other places.

How is not leaving the ship and spending money that employs locals benefit the people of Belize?

How will boycotting this beach stop benefit the people of Belize?

Would have been better to have added your voice and money when the locals were protesting this project and trying to stop it. It has been built. The positive thing would be to improve it, not abandon it and have it decay as another failed overseas investment. Encourage the cruise lines that will visit, in theory not just NCHL ships, to provide a ferry off the island (at a fee) to take excursions-by-locals. Improving the business model will improve the pax experience and benefit the locals, hopefully enough to offset the damage from building this facility,.

Not a fan of Harvest Caye. One of the best things of cruising is seeing new and interesting places. Harvest Caye is basically a resort run by a cruise line. Don't get me wrong the pool is beautiful and there is plenty to do, but none of it authentic Belize.

>" One of the best things of cruising is seeing new and interesting places."

I agree and that is the main reason I go on cruises. That said, I have little experience with a large cruise ship in the Caribbean and consider my upcoming cruise "some time in the sun".

I am sure this stop has nothing of Belize. As you say it is basically as resort. I expect the same of Paradise Island resort in Nassau (I've not been). Harvest Caye, Paradise Island and the the like are not places I would normally visit. But they are what they are. KNOWING what they are before making the decision to book the cruise is the important part as far as I am concerned. Your post is helpful - thanks

There truly are many cruisers that have no interest in the islands, history, or culture. Just look at the ports of call section and see how popular questions about beaches and resorts are. These folks just want to lay in the sun, get in the water and have an island drink.

Look at how many of these private islands the cruise lines have developed.

How is not leaving the ship and spending money that employs locals benefit the people of Belize?

How will boycotting this beach stop benefit the people of Belize?

Would have been better to have added your voice and money when the locals were protesting this project and trying to stop it. It has been built. The positive thing would be to improve it, not abandon it and have it decay as another failed overseas investment. Encourage the cruise lines that will visit, in theory not just NCHL ships, to provide a ferry off the island (at a fee) to take excursions-by-locals. Improving the business model will improve the pax experience and benefit the locals, hopefully enough to offset the damage from building this facility,.

Not leaving the ship gives a message to Oceania. As mentioned in my previous post, it is my hope that Oceania will find another port stop in Belize (which would help the people of Belize).

Does anyone know where you would be dropped off if you were able to take your own ferry? If it is near/in Belize City, it would not be a place that many passengers would want to visit. Much of Belize is beautiful but Belize City is an exception.