What's the best Carnival ship and ports for families with kids?

Sigyn

We have cruised three times on Carnival. The first two ships were disappointing - the Triumph in 2009 and the Fascination in 2013. We enjoyed the Vista last year in Europe (of course!) and this year we are making last minute plans to take our three kids, ages 9, 14 and 16, on a cruise to either the Caribbean or Alaska.

Which ships do you think the kids would enjoy the most? Which ports? Should we stick with the Vista out of Miami or is there another ship or two that is new enough to include great water slides and Guy's burgers, etc?

The two oldest kids have done a 3-day Disney cruise with their mom (they're my step kids) and loved it, but the Carnival pricing is more in line with my budget for a 6,7 or 8-day cruise for five people. I priced Disney around $10,000 for a cruise. Ack. Too much!

My youngest was with me on the Triumph, but he was only 21 months old so this will be the first cruise he remembers and I want all the kids to have a great time.

Which ships do you recommend?

You'll probably get a ton of answers, but here is my opinion...

If going this year before the Magic and Breeze switch places, I would most definitely take them on the Magic out of Port Canaveral. It has great water slides, Guys and Blue Iguana, Red Frog Pub (fun place for the whole family to hang out with the games, etc). Great ports with that ship too. If it was next year after the Breeze moves from Galveston to PC, I would have recommended the Breeze. But they are the same class of ship. My girls first cruise was on the Magic and they absolutely positively LOVED it. Now they don't want any other kind of vacation (works for me too)!

As for ports? Depends on what your kids like to do. My girls are complete beach bums so we like to choose ports that have beautiful beaches.

An Alaskan cruise is totally and completely different than a Caribbean....weather not withstanding! Alaskan cruises are more about Alaska, than the ship. In the Caribbean, it's more about the ship and it's amenities....you are likely to be ON the ship more in the Caribbean than in Alaska.

Also, if you're on a budget, the Caribbean is VERY easy to do on your own, without those pricey "excursions"....so if you decide on the Carib. route, pick up a guidebook at your public library, and research your ports. With 5 in your party, you can save a bundle by doing just a bit of reading!!

For Caribbean I would look at the Breeze or Magic. We don't travel with kids, but we watch them on the ships having a blast. All the larger ships seem to have plenty of activities, active kids clubs, waterworks, etc. Definitely do a 7-day cruise, not a short one as those tend to be more party boats. Plus a 7-day will get your farther out, so places like Belize and Roatan are great.

As for Alaska...the Legend is the Carnival Ship, and it is not really set up for kids activities onboard more than any other ship. No outdoor pool, just an indoor that has little kids in it all day. The activities in Alaska are all OFF the ship, at the ports. I highly recommend to cruise, but just keep in mind the excursions (like helicopter up to glaciers, dog sledding, etc.) are not cheap...but they are MUST DO for families. No kidding, cruise of a lifetime and the kids will have so much to tell all the kids back at school afterwards. Alaska is like another planet for most people. It is insanely beautiful. We were on the cruise last JUNE and there were more families with kids than we expected, like lots and lots of kids and teens. It was wonderful to see them enjoying the adventure. I wish we had done it 10-15 yrs ago when our son was young. He's 28 now and wants to go, so I expect we will plan to do Alaska again next summer and take him.

robin

An Alaskan cruise is totally and completely different than a Caribbean....weather not withstanding! Alaskan cruises are more about Alaska, than the ship. In the Caribbean, it's more about the ship and it's amenities....you are likely to be ON the ship more in the Caribbean than in Alaska.

Also, if you're on a budget, the Caribbean is VERY easy to do on your own, without those pricey "excursions"....so if you decide on the Carib. route, pick up a guidebook at your public library, and research your ports. With 5 in your party, you can save a bundle by doing just a bit of reading!!

Thanks! I have several guide books I got at the library yesterday and I'm busy reading about both Alaska and the Caribbean. I've been to Alaska once, on a 3-week land vacation that included a 1-day cruise to see the glaciers. It was amazing. There is so much history in Alaska and cool new things to see. Part of the problem is my husband and I are not beach people, but our kids are. We are fair skinned and burn easily and enjoy a day on the beach, but not 7 days nonstop. We prefer museums and exploring and hiking. But our kids are, well, kids, and tan easily and absolutely love the beach. So it's balancing out everyone's preferences.

For Caribbean I would look at the Breeze or Magic. We don't travel with kids, but we watch them on the ships having a blast. All the larger ships seem to have plenty of activities, active kids clubs, waterworks, etc. Definitely do a 7-day cruise, not a short one as those tend to be more party boats. Plus a 7-day will get your farther out, so places like Belize and Roatan are great.

As for Alaska...the Legend is the Carnival Ship, and it is not really set up for kids activities onboard more than any other ship. No outdoor pool, just an indoor that has little kids in it all day. The activities in Alaska are all OFF the ship, at the ports. I highly recommend to cruise, but just keep in mind the excursions (like helicopter up to glaciers, dog sledding, etc.) are not cheap...but they are MUST DO for families. No kidding, cruise of a lifetime and the kids will have so much to tell all the kids back at school afterwards. Alaska is like another planet for most people. It is insanely beautiful. We were on the cruise last JUNE and there were more families with kids than we expected, like lots and lots of kids and teens. It was wonderful to see them enjoying the adventure. I wish we had done it 10-15 yrs ago when our son was young. He's 28 now and wants to go, so I expect we will plan to do Alaska again next summer and take him.

robin

Thanks! Yes, Alaska is insanely beautiful from what I recall when I went with an old boyfriend in 1999. My husband and kids have never been and I can't even begin to describe to them how utterly amazing it is. I would love to share the experience with them.

Only you know if your kids will enjoy Alaska. It is more about educational excursions than fun in the sun excursions.

Also, the ship positioned there will be a smaller, older ship than the Breeze or Magic.

For a family cruise, and the price, you just can't eat the Cribbean. I have not been on the Magic yet, but it is much like the Breeze, that would be my choice. een on the Vista, but the Breeze is still my favorite for food choice and ship activities. So, I have to agree with the Magic or Breeze.

Ports for kids- almost all Caribbean ports, you can find great educational excursions as well as beach/snorkeling activities that are great for all ages.

Some that come to my mind when we took our kids along were ziplining @ Mahogany Bay, Roatan, snorkeling the reef @ Belize, the beach/pool @ Grand Turk, Turtle farm & Rum Cake Factory @ Grand Caymen.

Also, as far as home ports go, stay an extra day or 2 @ New Orleans (Bourbon Street, Graveyard Tour, eating Beignets at Cafe Du Monde) can't be beat.

After 17 cruises on 10 Carnival ships, just my opinion.