Dress code

radtech

We are looking at a land tour that starts in Venice to Rome and then sail Rome, Salerno, Kotor, Cofru, Crete, Mykonos and ends in Athens.

Having never been is it a dry heat or a humid heat, do they have lots of wind...that is one thing that the weather sites dont really give info on. I had planned on doing tees and bringing either a longer sleeve shirt, jacket and/or scarf and possibly some tanks. I seem to run the extremes..in my office i am always freezing and then when it reaches 100 i seem to melt..haha. But Caribbean weather in October was fab to me.

cruzrbachoua

In all those destinations it will be starting to get warm/hot during the day, but still cool once the sun goes down. It will also be slightly humid, but nowhere as bad as it is in July/August, so I would recommend in taking some mosquito repellant.

I really don't think your OH will want to be wearing jeans, they are too heavy. He will be better off in shorts or cotton trousers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks that is what I thought that is why I am trying to find alternative ideas for dh vs shorts as i believe his may come right to the knees not below. Hoping he will like the zip off pants of perhaps a lightweight cargo pant, since i see backpacks are also not allowed in some of the sights.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

I don’t see why he shouldn’t wear ‘sneakers’ ( we call them trainers) if he wants to. I have noticed Americans all seem to wear them at Disney World and it won’t be any hotter/more humid/more walking than there! My menfolk prefer their sandals in hot weather, but you do need to be sure you have a comfortable pair that doesn’t rub or give you blisters. So if you haven’t got a pair which are already tried and tested, sneakers might be safer.

Ok i wasnt sure because i read somewhere else that in Europe or at least Italy they see those shoes as shoes that should be worn only when actually doing sports...didnt want to offend anyone when traveling abroad...we try to follow the rules or norm if the area we are traveling to so as to not be thought of as "rude americans" or "rude tourists".

Dh will be excited to be able to wear his sneakers as will I.

Ok i wasnt sure because i read somewhere else that in Europe or at least Italy they see those shoes as shoes that should be worn only when actually doing sports...didnt want to offend anyone when traveling abroad...we try to follow the rules or norm if the area we are traveling to so as to not be thought of as "rude americans" or "rude tourists".

Dh will be excited to be able to wear his sneakers as will I.

No need at all to worry about being rude or offensive. Most Europeans, at least those under sixty, live in trainers! Possibly the all white ones, worn with white socks stand out as American tourists, as the all white look is more for playing tennis here. But the important thing is comfort.

No need at all to worry about being rude or offensive. Most Europeans, at least those under sixty, live in trainers! Possibly the all white ones, worn with white socks stand out as American tourists, as the all white look is more for playing tennis here. But the important thing is comfort.

Sorry, have to disagree, none of my family or friends wear trainers away from gym and I wouldn't be seen dead in them. I think they are horrible, ugly attire.

Sorry, have to disagree, none of my family or friends wear trainers away from gym and I wouldn't be seen dead in them. I think they are horrible, ugly attire.

To each his/her own? I really do see more trainers than anything else, on tourists and locals alike.

You may disagree in so far as you don’t wear them yourself, but you cannot disagree with my statement that most younger people these days live in trainers. Try looking at people’s feet next time you are out! Just because you don’t like them doesn’t mean others feel the same way. Possibly you are older?

Ok I didn't mean to start a dress code war. yes everyone should wear what makes them feel comfortable and what they prefer. I just didn't want to show up in something and really stand out. We try to blend in..no flashy jewelry, no socks with sandals or other tourists things. I know we will still stick out as we will have a camera and be in a group but was trying to somewhat blend in. I am part Italian so physically I could blend..lol..of course the blank stare when Italian is spoken to me will for sure give me away. But even then we will learn some of the basic words to be able to get around just as we did when we went to Quebec which had lots of French.

Much of the "lore" regarding dressing like a local tends to be somewhat outdated. These days I see more Europeans dressing casually, including jeans and "trainers" -- but the trainers, as mentioned, are usually more like what we might call "street sneakers" here in the US. The type that are more low-cut and definitely NOT white!! :D

On the other hand, it seems tourists everywhere -- and not just US tourists -- are dressing VERY casually. There's a wonderful quote from David Sidaris: "“Comfort has its place, but it seems rude to visit another country dressed as if you've come to mow its lawns.”

I think as long as one avoids the really unacceptably casual (I'm talking the wifebeaters and the t-shirts with inappropriate words), one is generally fine. I am also a big proponent of honoring the dress codes in various places -- even if no one is checking. It seems only right that if a church somewhere is opening its doors to let in thousands of tourists -- who must be disruptive if not causing actual damage just by sheer numbers -- the least I can do is respect their request to dress appropriately.

I totally agree. Our sneakers are all black or black/silver and even if we wore them(which we might have to for feet issues) up top will be nice. Plain tees and jeans or some form of khaki or cotton pants for the men and for us gals capri pants in either jean or cotton and tees possibly tanks for when out on the street, bus, ship etc, but once inside will either have a cardigan, lightweight windbreaker, pashmina or a scarf around our shoulders to comply with the dress code. no wifebeaters or undershirt looking tees, but nice decent colored tees that fit and are not huge on. Not that we dress that way anyway. I am starting to feel good about the outfits I have planned...just need to find some pants for our men but us gals pretty much have our stuff. if we can find some decent slip on shoes that have sneaker type bottoms but no laces we will do that to cut the look of true sneakers or "trainers"...but at the end of the day I need to be able to walk and not have my feet hurt cause they are in sandals with no support.

...but at the end of the day I need to be able to walk and not have my feet hurt cause they are in sandals with no support.

This is so important that it's worth emphasizing.

Two things I recommend from years of walking around cities and ruins in Europe:

1. Bring two pairs of walking shoes/sandals -- don't just depend on one pair. It's better for your feet to swap out your footwear periodically. Plus you never know if a pair of shoes will get wet or become nonfunctional for other reasons -- or will just plain NOT be as comfortable after miles of walking as you thought they would be.

2. As a corollary to #1 above, I really recommend that you thoroughly "break in" any shoes before bringing them. Not just wearing them for 30 minutes around the house, but several good long walks so that you know they really are comfortable and supportive.