Coffee question

javajunkie91

Yes, I know everyone has their personal, strong opinions about coffee, Starbucks, yada, yada, but play nice please! Has anyone taken a French press and ordered hot water from room service for breakfast? Or what about taking the Starbucks Via coffee packets? We have been on three cruises and the coffee is just not to our liking so wondering if any other fellow cruisers have any tricks up their sleeves. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I find the coffee passable, if barely, so I haven't. I have seen many people say they take Via or similar. The french press seems like it would be too much trouble to me, but to each his own. Hot water would also be available on the Lido.

I haven't taken a French Press on board any cruise. Clean up is too messy. But a couple sitting next to us on the Vista's Lido had one. The coffee smelled fantastic! I think the guy had little doggy do bags for the grounds. Still. Clean up at home is bad enough, much less on board a ship.

I prefer my coffee black but the coffee on Carnival not so much. I usually pack some flavored instant coffee and some individual flavored creamers and use one or both to doctor up the coffee when I'm not up to the challenge of drinking it black.

I take the Folgers Coffee Singles. The strength of brew is dependent by how long you steep it in the hot water and or how many single brew bags you use. I also bring my own flavored creamer. I am up before my husband each morning anyway and so I enjoy the quiet stroll to the hot water station, prepare a cup for both of us and drink my first one sitting in a lounger reading my kindle enjoying the beautiful morning. We have a balcony for the first time this December, thinking about ordering a pot of hot water for the morning and enjoying some balcony time in the AM.

I take the Folgers Coffee Singles. The strength of brew is dependent by how long you steep it in the hot water and or how many single brew bags you use. I also bring my own flavored creamer. I am up before my husband each morning anyway and so I enjoy the quiet stroll to the hot water station, prepare a cup for both of us and drink my first one sitting in a lounger reading my kindle enjoying the beautiful morning. We have a balcony for the first time this December, thinking about ordering a pot of hot water for the morning and enjoying some balcony time in the AM.

Could do this with other coffee with a tea brewer or fillable tea bags.

Via is a good idea- easy to pack for plane ride. We've always used the Folgers in a tea bag type of things in our cabin but will probably bring some Via packets next time.

As for the coffee- Lido coffee is horrible, but the coffee in MDR is ok (not great, but drinkable IMO)

for those thinking the Lido coffee is bad but the MDR stuff is okay, I believe both use the exact same coffee. The coffee bar uses one of the Lavazza blends (Expresso, I think) And it's rather carefully measured out with proper water/coffee proportions. The Lido and MDR have a different brand, more commercial but now Arabica beans. it's certainly better than it was a couple of years back. The Lido can be strong for some folks, but that's easily remedied by adding a touch of hot water.

I can understand why people dislike the coffee on the Lido deck. It's not very good. But, there's some part of me that enjoys it and even, to a degree, craves it sometimes. I think, it's mostly because the only time I drink anything quite like it... is when I'm on a cruise.

The coffee makes my hair stand straight up..lol. I pack my favorite creamer and add some hot water to my cup to help. I suffer through it because sitting on the balcony watching a sunrise is breathtaking. My guess is..the kitchen keeps it super strong for the hangovers on the ship. I will treat myself to the coffee bar, but find nothing is good as my coffee at home in my recliner.

We just got off the Independence a couple of weeks ago (I know, this is the Carnival board, but I'm reading in prep for my next cruise!);p, and we took a French press.

My friend's husband roasts his own beans, and she brought a pound of freshly ground stuff to make us each morning in the French Press. People stopped her left and right in the hallways and elevator saying they wish they would have thought to bring theirs!

Room service on Royal was atrocious, so she simply went to the Promenade and filled it with hot water there. I'm hoping to order a carafe of hot water on the Triumph in a couple of weeks and have French Press coffee each morning!

For cleanup we put the grounds in the feminine hygiene bags they leave in the bathroom, and then rinsed the actual press well in hot water.

Yeah, a lot of people gripe about the coffee on the ship. But if you've ever had vending machine coffee, you'd say the coffee on the ship is actually pretty decent. Starbuck's is way too strong for us. We drink Folger's at home. There are some people that say if you put a spoon in the coffee, and it doesn't stand up straight, the coffee's not strong enough. :D

For those of you that take your own creamer, how do you keep it cold until you get to your room and can put it in the refrigerator?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I buy the box that has individual servings..they are like the kind you get in restaurants. Throw them away as I use them.

I buy the box that has individual servings..they are like the kind you get in restaurants. Throw them away as I use them.

Oh! I use liquid creamer or a protein powder. I may need to measure out servings of protein powder if a liquid creamer isn't going to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums