Christmas with carnival questions!

Rinalouise

We booked a 12 day cruise of the South Pacific on the Legend for Christmas and as a 60th birthday gift to my mum. I have a few questions about Christmas cruises with carnival.

To start I understand that Carnival US & Carnival AU are worlds apart but hopefully someone can answer or give us a general idea...

1: do they have Christmas mass or a Christmas church service on board?

2: do they do "carols by candlelight" or "Carols under the stars" on board?

3: (silly question #1) a Santa will onboard right? If so can adults get photos with him or is it limited to kids club? (For the record My brother and I are in our mid to late 20's he is autistic)

4: (silly question #2) since carnival is associated with dr Seuss will the grinch be there?

5: which would be better on Christmas Day: Sit in the MDR or go pig out at the Buffet? Variety wise and crowd wise.

Thanks in advance for any contributions! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is what Carnival did last year, it mentions what's different for Legend and Spirit sailings

With a festive on-board atmosphere, elaborate decorations and an array of traditional cuisine, entertainment and activities, Carnival’s ‘Fun Ship’ holiday cruises are the ideal option for reconnecting with friends, families and loved ones. A festive mood is created as soon as you arrive on board, with the ship’s atrium and promenade areas lavishly decorated in the spirit of the season.

The Spirit of the Season Atrium Moments is made up of two magical evenings (three on select ships) filled with holiday fun:

Spirit of the Season – Tree Lighting

Tis the season for traditions, loved ones and fun-filled celebrations. Gather your friends and family for our traditional holiday kick off, the lighting of the Christmas tree in the atrium lobby.

This event takes place on the first evening of the cruise. Hosted by the Cruise Director, a magical moment where the grand Christmas tree will be lit with spectacular lights and synchronized with wonderful, heartwarming holiday music.

What are you wishing for? A football? A pony? More fun vacations? Now's the time to let Santa know! Write out a special message for Santa and drop it in the North Pole mailbox located in the atrium lobby (on all ships) .. and some letters will be read on our live Morning Show.

Spirit of the Season – Let it Snow!

Celebrate the magic of the season with our very own Christmas Carol-infused winter wonderland. Sing-a-long to holiday classics and let it snow. Be on time, the snow melts fast! Due to the atrium décor, the event will take place without snow on the Carnival Breeze, Carnival Sunshine and Carnival Vista.

Spirit of the Season – ‘Tis the Season

Put on your most festive ugly sweater, warm up those vocal chords and gather around to help us welcome the very jolly Santa Claus himself!

Hosted by the Cruise Director and together with the children from Camp Carnival and Camp Ocean, we celebrate the spirit of the holiday season as we combine holiday magic with a little Carnival fun! Guests of all ages are encouraged to bring their ugliest Christmas sweater for this fun competition. And then it’s time to shake your bells and make cheerful noise to welcome in Santa Claus as he makes his way down the glass atrium elevator.

On the Carnival Legend and Carnival Spirit, there will be a crazy, festive holiday hat competion instead of the ugly sweater contest.

Christmas Service

Join us for a special non-denominational Christmas service as we celebrate the season with warm stories, uplifting hymns and prayer. This service will take place on December 24th or December 25th (depending on your ship's itinerary; day, time and location will be listed in the daily Fun Times newsletter).

Holiday Show

A magical show that’s sure to make your heart grow three sizes, with singers, dancers, a special performance by the kids and a surprise guest from the North Pole!

A highlight of the cruise, this wonderful spectacular show in the main show lounge evokes a ‘home away from home’ atmosphere with its cozy set featuring a faux oversized fireplace, comfy cushions and throws, a Christmas tree with decorations created by the children from Camp Carnival and Camp Ocean, and of course, a visit from Santa. And be on the look-out for the iconic and beloved Dr. Seuss character, The Grinch!

A Special Christmas Guest

All of us here like Christmas a lot.

But there’s someone on board who surely does not!

He’s mean and he’s green, he’s quick and so slick.

Try to spot him playing one of his tricks!

The Grinch appeals to guests of all ages, those young and young at heart. His story is a heartwarming journey of how the vengeful Grinch learns the true meaning of the holiday season, thus triggering a powerful transformation of his character as he grows his heart 3 sizes. The Grinch will make surprise appearances throughout the cruise.

Holiday Movies

Popular holiday-themed movies are shown on stateroom televisions as well as seasonal holiday music. Additional holiday movies will be shown in Camp Carnival, Camp Ocean and ships that feature the Carnival Seaside Theater.

Holiday Arts and Crafts

Feeling a little crafty? Join us for a fun and festive arts and crafts session and create a beautiful Holiday souvenir to take home.

Christmas Dinner

The holiday menu features the traditional oven roasted turkey with all the trimmings and freshly baked pumpkin pie, among other selections.

Religious Services

If a clergyman of any faith wishes to perform a religious service, it is on a ‘volunteer basis’ only. To learn more about our clergy policy, click here. For those ships docked in port on Christmas Day, the Guest Service Staff can provide you with a list of local churches that are conducting services.

Holiday Decorations |Spirit of the Season Atrium Moments |Holiday Show

Public areas throughout our fleet are adorned with oversized Christmas trees, wreaths, lights, mistletoe and other traditional touches including a red mailbox for children to send a letter to Santa.

This is what Carnival did last year, it mentions what's different for Legend and Spirit sailings

With a festive on-board atmosphere, elaborate decorations and an array of traditional cuisine, entertainment and activities, Carnival’s ‘Fun Ship’ holiday cruises are the ideal option for reconnecting with friends, families and loved ones. A festive mood is created as soon as you arrive on board, with the ship’s atrium and promenade areas lavishly decorated in the spirit of the season.

The Spirit of the Season Atrium Moments is made up of two magical evenings (three on select ships) filled with holiday fun:

Spirit of the Season – Tree Lighting

Tis the season for traditions, loved ones and fun-filled celebrations. Gather your friends and family for our traditional holiday kick off, the lighting of the Christmas tree in the atrium lobby.

This event takes place on the first evening of the cruise. Hosted by the Cruise Director, a magical moment where the grand Christmas tree will be lit with spectacular lights and synchronized with wonderful, heartwarming holiday music.

What are you wishing for? A football? A pony? More fun vacations? Now's the time to let Santa know! Write out a special message for Santa and drop it in the North Pole mailbox located in the atrium lobby (on all ships) .. and some letters will be read on our live Morning Show.

Spirit of the Season – Let it Snow!

Celebrate the magic of the season with our very own Christmas Carol-infused winter wonderland. Sing-a-long to holiday classics and let it snow. Be on time, the snow melts fast! Due to the atrium décor, the event will take place without snow on the Carnival Breeze, Carnival Sunshine and Carnival Vista.

Spirit of the Season – ‘Tis the Season

Put on your most festive ugly sweater, warm up those vocal chords and gather around to help us welcome the very jolly Santa Claus himself!

Hosted by the Cruise Director and together with the children from Camp Carnival and Camp Ocean, we celebrate the spirit of the holiday season as we combine holiday magic with a little Carnival fun! Guests of all ages are encouraged to bring their ugliest Christmas sweater for this fun competition. And then it’s time to shake your bells and make cheerful noise to welcome in Santa Claus as he makes his way down the glass atrium elevator.

On the Carnival Legend and Carnival Spirit, there will be a crazy, festive holiday hat competion instead of the ugly sweater contest.

Christmas Service

Join us for a special non-denominational Christmas service as we celebrate the season with warm stories, uplifting hymns and prayer. This service will take place on December 24th or December 25th (depending on your ship's itinerary; day, time and location will be listed in the daily Fun Times newsletter).

Holiday Show

A magical show that’s sure to make your heart grow three sizes, with singers, dancers, a special performance by the kids and a surprise guest from the North Pole!

A highlight of the cruise, this wonderful spectacular show in the main show lounge evokes a ‘home away from home’ atmosphere with its cozy set featuring a faux oversized fireplace, comfy cushions and throws, a Christmas tree with decorations created by the children from Camp Carnival and Camp Ocean, and of course, a visit from Santa. And be on the look-out for the iconic and beloved Dr. Seuss character, The Grinch!

A Special Christmas Guest

All of us here like Christmas a lot.

But there’s someone on board who surely does not!

He’s mean and he’s green, he’s quick and so slick.

Try to spot him playing one of his tricks!

The Grinch appeals to guests of all ages, those young and young at heart. His story is a heartwarming journey of how the vengeful Grinch learns the true meaning of the holiday season, thus triggering a powerful transformation of his character as he grows his heart 3 sizes. The Grinch will make surprise appearances throughout the cruise.

Holiday Movies

Popular holiday-themed movies are shown on stateroom televisions as well as seasonal holiday music. Additional holiday movies will be shown in Camp Carnival, Camp Ocean and ships that feature the Carnival Seaside Theater.

Holiday Arts and Crafts

Feeling a little crafty? Join us for a fun and festive arts and crafts session and create a beautiful Holiday souvenir to take home.

Christmas Dinner

The holiday menu features the traditional oven roasted turkey with all the trimmings and freshly baked pumpkin pie, among other selections.

Religious Services

If a clergyman of any faith wishes to perform a religious service, it is on a ‘volunteer basis’ only. To learn more about our clergy policy, click here. For those ships docked in port on Christmas Day, the Guest Service Staff can provide you with a list of local churches that are conducting services.

Holiday Decorations |Spirit of the Season Atrium Moments |Holiday Show

Public areas throughout our fleet are adorned with oversized Christmas trees, wreaths, lights, mistletoe and other traditional touches including a red mailbox for children to send a letter to Santa.

Thank you so much BuckeyeCruiseGuy for this! :)

We sailed on the Sunshine last year, December 18-December 26. While the description makes it sound extremely festive, it really wasn't. To answer your questions:

1. No, no Christmas mass or service

2. No, no Carols under the stars or by candlelight. On Christmas Eve they had caroling at about 4:00 in the main atrium. They had little booklets with the lyrics to songs. They passed out wristlet jingle bells. The caroling lasted maybe half an hour to 40 minutes.

3. Grinch makes RARE appearances and no photo ops. He popped in and out during a couple of shows - went running across one end of the stage to the other. Maybe up in Camp Carnival he is seen more; not sure. We didn't have kids with us.

4. There is a Santa. We had our picture taken after the Ugly Sweater Contest which was also hyped up but resulted in people walking in a circle around the bar in the atrium and audience applause determining the winner. Nothing great. The participants all received a Carnival Santa hat.

5. Christmas dinner in the MDR was turkey, I believe, and the trimmings.

They advertised Christmas movies but I think the only offerings were Elf and one other that I don't remember and it was just one night. We had bought Christmas DVDs from home to watch on our laptop and I even went to Guest Services and left a note that I'd be willing to loan them if they wanted to show them during the day on the big screen instead of staring at the commercials for the Red Frog and Blue Iguana. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day they played Christmas music throughout the ship but not much the rest of the cruise. I brought my iPod with us and hooked it up to the computer and piped in my own Christmas music in the cabin.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

We sailed on the Sunshine last year, December 18-December 26. While the description makes it sound extremely festive, it really wasn't. To answer your questions:

1. No, no Christmas mass or service

2. No, no Carols under the stars or by candlelight. On Christmas Eve they had caroling at about 4:00 in the main atrium. They had little booklets with the lyrics to songs. They passed out wristlet jingle bells. The caroling lasted maybe half an hour to 40 minutes.

3. Grinch makes RARE appearances and no photo ops. He popped in and out during a couple of shows - went running across one end of the stage to the other. Maybe up in Camp Carnival he is seen more; not sure. We didn't have kids with us.

4. There is a Santa. We had our picture taken after the Ugly Sweater Contest which was also hyped up but resulted in people walking in a circle around the bar in the atrium and audience applause determining the winner. Nothing great. The participants all received a Carnival Santa hat.

5. Christmas dinner in the MDR was turkey, I believe, and the trimmings.

They advertised Christmas movies but I think the only offerings were Elf and one other that I don't remember and it was just one night. We had bought Christmas DVDs from home to watch on our laptop and I even went to Guest Services and left a note that I'd be willing to loan them if they wanted to show them during the day on the big screen instead of staring at the commercials for the Red Frog and Blue Iguana. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day they played Christmas music throughout the ship but not much the rest of the cruise. I brought my iPod with us and hooked it up to the computer and piped in my own Christmas music in the cabin.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks for sharing! [emoji846]