Portable GPS to take on cruise

Don1

The easy answer is you get what you pay for.

I have a Garmin handheld with a black and white display, and it goes everywhere in the backpack. It's shortcomings are no moving map display, and poor reception on the balcony. GPS requires line-of-sight satellite reception, and for a cruise this one works only on deck.

I also have a Garmin Quest, and with it's color display and moving map it was a blast on our summer cruise. The downside is the cost, and the idea of another $400 gadget in to keep up with.

Both Garmin and Lowrance models are nice, but with a long cruise you will need to load maps in many models, and this requires some computer hook-up and set up prior to departure.

Some models in the $700 to $1000 range have full base maps loaded in and will not need programming, but that's an expensive item if you only use it for a cruise now and then.

Consider epinions.com for GPS reviews and buy a major brand.

Have Fun,

Lee in Houston

I have a Garmin Etrex VistaC GPS receiver. It comes with embedded world map. There is very little detail on the maps outside North America, however. Most capital and major cities are on the world maps, but little else. I beleive that Garmin has detailed mapping software available for Europe, but I am not sure about other areas in the world.

I used my Etrex GPS this summer in Europe just to get a sense of where we were and I also added ports and cities as waypoints on the GPS unit itself for future reference.

I also use the GPS while at sea to learn position, direction of travel and speed of our ship. I hardly go anywhere outside the local area without my GPS unit. . . . . . DW thinks this is wierd! I guess it could be worse! :)

Any suggestions for a portable GPS to take on World Cruise?

A GPS junkie is replying....I use an eTrek when hiking, using my kayak and on my motorcycle. I also have a larger, older StreetPilot GPS that I use on my motorcycle (more detail, bigger display) on the motorcycle, and in my truck when RVing. When in the truck I connect the GPS to a laptop running Street and Trips software.

Anyway, any GPS will not track inside the ship. Running on batteries an eTrek will go about 10 hours using its AA batteries. If all you want to do is go on deck a couple of times a day and get a fix, the eTrek (or something by Garmin similar in size) would work fine. If more than that, you will need a lot of batteries. Using rechargeable batteries I get much less than 10 hours, but there is some savings and convenience there.

If you only want to get the ship's position, that info might be broadcast on the ship's TV, as it was on my last trip on the Oosterdam. Or the purser might have or be able to get than info from the bridge.

If you want to have a decent map in your GPS, you'll need a way to download into them. They two units I have allow that. Many do not, so be careful.

Oh, one more thing: friends don't let friends buy anything but Garmin units. So you've been warned, friend. <g> I think Magellan might be okay also, but do NOT consider a Lowrance without talking to several folks who have had them.

We are a Garmin only family here! We have been able to discover some of the most beautiful and off of the beaten path places while geocaching! They have them in just about everyport (and it make the kids feel like modern day pirates finding the booty)!

Oh, one more thing: friends don't let friends buy anything but Garmin units. So you've been warned, friend. <g> I think Magellan might be okay also, but do NOT consider a Lowrance without talking to several folks who have had them.

Preach it, brother! I'm Garmin all the way. I'm on my second unit. I started with an EMap, and then went to the ETrex Vista. My BIL now has my old EMap and loves it.

I take my GPS with me while I'm up on deck, to get a fix, and find out how long it will be to the next port or something I want to check out.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Bluetooth GPS? I already have a Palm Pilot. So what I'm looking for would be a good GPS that could talk to mapping programs on the Palm, which already has plenty of memory for different maps, a nice color screen, etc.

- Bob

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Bluetooth GPS? I already have a Palm Pilot. So what I'm looking for would be a good GPS that could talk to mapping programs on the Palm, which already has plenty of memory for different maps, a nice color screen, etc.

- Bob

I also have a Delorme Blue Logger GPS reciever, that I use with either my laptop or my Dell Axim X30 running Delome's Steet Atlas 2005. I'm not that impressed with it as I could be. It seems slower to respond to inputs than my Garmin, and there's the added time to make the bluetooth connection. Another problem I've found is that sometimes when I stop for a period of time, like lunch, that the bluetooth loses it's connection and I end up having to reboot the laptop, or reset the PDA.

I am looking for a portable GPS unit for my DH, not for a cruise necessarily but in the car. One that can be moved from car to car. it does not have to have PDA capability. But would like a map and VOICE directions. Any suggestions or key things to watch for?

Boop: while there are lots of choices out there, I have a Garmin Quest and love it. It is highly portable, easy to use and has voice capability (comes with a speaker/power cord combo for the car. There is a built-in base map with interstates and US highways on it. A CD comes with it to install on your computer and then you can download map sets which provide highly detailed street-level maps. I have had it about a year and have used it in rental cars as well as my own car. It is worth a look and you can find a range of competitive prices on the internet. Hope this helps!

I am looking for a portable GPS unit for my DH, not for a cruise necessarily but in the car. One that can be moved from car to car. it does not have to have PDA capability. But would like a map and VOICE directions. Any suggestions or key things to watch for?

Check these out:http://www.garmin.com/mobile/

The 2730 seems to be very popular. I have an older Garmin StreetPilot unit. It's TOUGH! I use it on my motorcycle now. It's old, not color, limited memory and no voice, but it gets me where I want to go. Ebay is a good place to find a good price.

A little bit of topic drift, but the best place for info on GPS systems is the discussion forums on gpspassion.com -- what CC is to cruising, gpspassion is to GPS.

FWIW, if you want a portable unit that is designed for on-road navigation (e.g., automobiles), I'd recommend the Magellan RoadMate units -- the newest ones are the 7xx and 8xx series. I've owned a RoadMate 700 for a couple of years now, and have taken it cross-country (USA) several times. While no mechincal device is perfect (nor is any biological organism!), I trust this one so much I've thrown away all my paper maps -- I might actually start putting gloves in the glove box!

Things to look for:

how often do you have to hook the unit up to a computer because you need more detailed maps, or maps for a different area

not just voice prompting, but where is the speaker, how loud will it go, can you change the voice, does it have the ability to speak street/road names, can you plug in headphones or connect to the car sound system

how long does it take the unit to notice that you've deviated from the planned route, and to re-calculate a new routing

how large and clear is the screen, how natural is the 3D display, if it's touch-screen, are there screen protectors available, what's it look like in bright sunlight, will it automatically adapt to changing light conditions, is it too bright for night use

other features -- can you give it several destinations and have it plan an optimized routing, will it synch with a PDA so you can beam it addresses, can it grow such that you can add traffic reporting from satellite radio (and show jams and construction on the map, in real time), how stable and convenient is the mounting (critical info -- the unit has to be positioned with maximum view of the sky, yet not obstruct your view, and be visible without you looking completely away from the road, plus it has to be simple to detach the unit when you're parked so thieves aren't tempted), how easy is it to add an external antenna, how many points of interest are in the database, what is the timing and cost of map updates

I don't know of a self-contained unit that is designed for automobile use that is useful also for cruising (most of them won't even run more than a couple of hours on battery power, if they can do that at all.) Conversely, I don't know of a unit that is really good off-road (on on-sea!) that has more than basic features for in-car use.

The reputation of Garmin is that their units have the most features, but the most complex user interface. The reputation of Magellan units is that they have the best user interface for new users (it was tested and has been in use in Hertz rent-cars for years), but they don't have as many or as powerful features.

John

Cindy, the reply above yours has a lot of good information. Also, check out Garmin's web page for detailed info on the eTrex Legend. I have one and can answer specific questions you have: papersniper@bellsouth.nett (leave off the second t in net).

The standard eTrek Legend (sold in the USA) has built in medium detail maps of the USA but low level maps of (at least) the Caribbean and Europe in it. Major Caribbean and Eupopean cities are in it, but basically just the outline of the country.

Unless you have the extra cost "Mapsource" software on a computer to download to your eTrek, you will not have detailed road information, search functions, etc. That "MapSource® WorldMap" software costs around $100.

[/url]

Garmin eTrex Legend

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/

Mapsource Europe

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/WM.jsp

• 1 month later...
Boop: while there are lots of choices out there, I have a Garmin Quest and love it. It is highly portable, easy to use and has voice capability (comes with a speaker/power cord combo for the car. There is a built-in base map with interstates and US highways on it. A CD comes with it to install on your computer and then you can download map sets which provide highly detailed street-level maps. I have had it about a year and have used it in rental cars as well as my own car. It is worth a look and you can find a range of competitive prices on the internet. Hope this helps!

I HAVE GARMIN 2610 STREET PILOT I HAVE HAD IT TWO YEARS NOW I SWAIR BY IT THERE ARE NEW MODLES OUT NOW AND LESS MONEY

AFTER I FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR I BOUGHT MINE OVER THE INTERNET (GPSEXPLORER.COM) THEY HAVE ALL MAKES AND MODLES MAGELLAN / GARMIN / NAVMAM / ECT (SHOW ALL FEATURES AND GOOD PRICING) WAY BELOW RETAIL

STUR

I HAVE GARMIN 2610 STREET PILOT I HAVE HAD IT TWO YEARS NOW I SWAIR BY IT THERE ARE NEW MODLES OUT NOW AND LESS MONEY

AFTER I FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR I BOUGHT MINE OVER THE INTERNET (GPSEXPLORER.COM) THEY HAVE ALL MAKES AND MODLES MAGELLAN / GARMIN / NAVMAM / ECT (SHOW ALL FEATURES AND GOOD PRICING) WAY BELOW RETAIL

STUR

Archived