2 Days post cruise in Rome

lovevacadays

I am doing a lot of research on Trip Advisor, etc but thought I would check here as I get great info for all my cruises from CC. With 2 post cruise days in Rome what would you do? We love art, history, great food, local flavor, and local bars.

Apart from the regular tourist stuff/sites, I'd probably suggest walking through the Trastevere and Monti neighbourhoods for great local vibe, food, and drink. They're no longer the "secret" new edgy/hip neighbourhoods but fairly discovered by tourists looking for something other than the common stuff.

We did a pretty long but enjoyable walk starting from the Porta Portese market to the northern area of Trastevere, across to the Coleseum, through the Monti neighbourhood, and back to our hotel near Termini.

I am doing a lot of research on Trip Advisor, etc but thought I would check here as I get great info for all my cruises from CC. With 2 post cruise days in Rome what would you do? We love art, history, great food, local flavor, and local bars.

From a first time tourist standpoint, I'd visit the colosseum, the forum, Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Piazza Navona,

St Peters Square, St Peters Basilica, the Vatican Museum- take the highlights tour and end in the Sistine Chapel.

With advance tickets we liked the Borghese Gallery. that should get you started.

I'd probably stay out of the Vatican museums during the day - too crowded and I had a very scary experience with a crowd that almost trampled an elderly woman in the Sistine Chapel. Instead, I would consider a tour of the Vatican during the wee hours when it is uncrowded.

https://theromanguy.com/tours/Rome/vatican-after-hours-vip-private-tour?gclid=Cj0KEQiA9P7FBRCtoO33_LGUtPQBEiQAU_tBgIzCT6qEh82f4vM1x7KGCekjdNuX1aem3p-vBXG1wLQaAtCq8P8HAQ

Instead, I'd get out and see the sights of Rome - on foot - you can use a guide from through eternity.com if you want or DIY. Rome is very walkable.

I would go to some of the famous restaurants:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g187791-Rome_Lazio.html

I might do the Michelin Star tour here:

https://www.withlocals.com/experiences/italy/rome/home-dinners/?subcategory[]=food-tours-tastings

I might try to eat all of these pasta dishes:

http://www.bonappetit.com/restaurants-travel/article/pasta-restaurants-rome-italy

just to be sure they are really the best in Rome.

I would have to stop and try the gelato:

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/italy/articles/the-10-best-places-for-gelato-in-rome/

I would not get myself tied up with museum or church tours.

It is! It's our first trip to Europe so all our ports are new to us.

Rome is paradise for lovers of art and history. The Colosseum/Forum is a must see (book tickets in advance so that you don't waste valuable time in queues). Also, St. Peters Basilica & the Vatican Museum are wonderful - you must purchase tickets to the Vatican Museum in order to visit the incredible Raphael Rooms & the Sistine Chapel (again, book online to avoid queues).

Piazza Navona (with Bernini's masterpiece) and Trevi Fountain are definitely must sees.

There are lots of wonderful places to eat in the city - for eats, I would advise staying away from the popular tourist areas as food is expensive and geared toward tourist fare.

I also love visiting some of the churches for the wonderful art inside and/or the history. Two of my favorites are Santa Maria della Vittoria (Bernini masterpiece) and the Basilica of San Clemente (3 tiered complex including 4th century basilica & mithraeum). Borghese Gallery is wonderful - make sure you book your reservations online as that is the only way you can visit.

Rome is paradise for lovers of art and history. The Colosseum/Forum is a must see (book tickets in advance so that you don't waste valuable time in queues). Also, St. Peters Basilica & the Vatican Museum are wonderful - you must purchase tickets to the Vatican Museum in order to visit the incredible Raphael Rooms & the Sistine Chapel (again, book online to avoid queues).

Piazza Navona (with Bernini's masterpiece) and Trevi Fountain are definitely must sees.

There are lots of wonderful places to eat in the city - for eats, I would advise staying away from the popular tourist areas as food is expensive and geared toward tourist fare.

I also love visiting some of the churches for the wonderful art inside and/or the history. Two of my favorites are Santa Maria della Vittoria (Bernini masterpiece) and the Basilica of San Clemente (3 tiered complex including 4th century basilica & mithraeum). Borghese Gallery is wonderful - make sure you book your reservations online as that is the only way you can visit.

I second these suggestions, would only add that you must not miss seeing the Pantheon, the best preserved building from ancient Rome and a fantastic architectural gem like no other.

Several guidebooks provide good self-guided walking tours through the heart of the central historical area (centro storico) of Rome; any of these will include the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and Piazza Navona as well as likely Campo dei Fiori and the Spanish Steps (for some reason a 'must see' for many....)

Yes, I forgot about the Pantheon. And, since you are interested in art, right behind the Pantheon (south) is the church - Santa Maria sopra Minerva - wherein you can view Cristo della Minerva - incredible sculpture by Michelangelo.

Yes, I forgot about the Pantheon. And, since you are interested in art, right behind the Pantheon (south) is the church - Santa Maria sopra Minerva - wherein you can view Cristo della Minerva - incredible sculpture by Michelangelo.

A censored Michelangelo (but yes, definitely visit that Church).

Santa%20Maria%20Sopra%20Minerva_zpsj7fy4sdn.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

It is! It's our first trip to Europe so all our ports are new to us.

Hi Lovevacadays,

I'm a crew member who did this Med last season, and I posted the best bits of my trip around these Italian ports on my blog http://www.downtokokomo.wordpress.com I hope that it helps. Rome really needs 2 days, so save the Vatican etc for one day and split the rest of the sights between the days. Hope you have a fab time!