Gluten free pasta on the night?

paulinestoker

Hello!

Does anyone know if gluten free pasta dishes can be ordered on the night in the MDR or would it have to be pre-ordered the night before? I don't have anything serious like celiac, just tummy troubles:(

Hi Pauline: Why would you order "pizza" in the MDR? I mean no disrespect BUT pizza is available all day on Princess but in the MDR????

Hello!

Does anyone know if gluten free pasta dishes can be ordered on the night in the MDR or would it have to be pre-ordered the night before? I don't have anything serious like celiac, just tummy troubles:(

It would depend, but I wouldn't count on it. If anyone answers based on one itinerary on one ship, it probably wouldn't mean anything on another ship and possibly not on another itinerary on the same ship.

Ask the head waiter in your dining room after you board. He will be able to tell you what you can get without ordering in advance and what needs to be ordered in advance - in that specific dining room on that ship on that specific cruise. Then you can decide whether or not you want to order in advance - or possibly just order the pasta in advance.

Thank you all for the replies!

I will ask on the first night. I am mentally prepared (to be strong!) and just do without pasta dishes if that's easier. There are lots of other yummy choices. I'm just one of those people that likes to have everything planned out ahead of time - including what I will be eating.;p

On last year's cruise I did report my serious allergy (chocolate=anaphylactic reaction) on the cruise personaliser but didn't get the help I was expecting from the head waiter. It became easier to just use my own common sense. Will do the same this July.

This gluten avoidance is a new thing for me, but I am feeling so much better for it. Will have to remind myself of that when I say no to the glazed sprinkle donuts at the IC.:loudcry:

I will ask on the first night. I am mentally prepared (to be strong!) and just do without pasta dishes if that's easier. There are lots of other yummy choices. I'm just one of those people that likes to have everything planned out ahead of time - including what I will be eating.;p

On last year's cruise I did report my serious allergy (chocolate=anaphylactic reaction) on the cruise personaliser but didn't get the help I was expecting from the head waiter. It became easier to just use my own common sense. Will do the same this July.

This gluten avoidance is a new thing for me, but I am feeling so much better for it. Will have to remind myself of that when I say no to the glazed sprinkle donuts at the IC.:loudcry:

I

Hi

My 8 year old granddaughter in anaphylactic to chocolate as well. makes it hard at kids parties.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The headwaiter should bring you the next day's menu each evening and discuss with you whether what you want can be prepared gluten-free and also without chocolate. The menus should be for the next day's breakfast, lunch (sea days) and dinner in the dining room. This works well if you are in traditional or anytime, but if in anytime I suggest using the same anytime dining room each evening so you can have access to the same headwaiter.

And if you want to do specialty dining, also go there a day in advance to discuss the menu with the headwaiter there.

I

Hi

My 8 year old granddaughter in anaphylactic to chocolate as well. makes it hard at kids parties.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh no, that must be rough. I used to teach elementary school, and it is tricky with allergies like this and nut allergies. Usually the kids had a really good attitude about it as long as they could have something else and not have to go without. Tell her I don't miss chocolate at all!

You might want to remind them to cook the pasta in fresh water rather than water used for gluten pasta. I tend to avoid pasta stations on ships for this reason though I am sure most of them know what they are doing. It just takes one mistake to ruin your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The headwaiter should bring you the next day's menu each evening and discuss with you whether what you want can be prepared gluten-free and also without chocolate. The menus should be for the next day's breakfast, lunch (sea days) and dinner in the dining room. This works well if you are in traditional or anytime, but if in anytime I suggest using the same anytime dining room each evening so you can have access to the same headwaiter.

And if you want to do specialty dining, also go there a day in advance to discuss the menu with the headwaiter there.

Thanks for your response. This is what I expected the head waiter to do last summer on the Emerald, but he decided he would just bring me something "special" for dessert. I wasn't given any choices but was presented with a cup of lemon pudding or key lime tart (like from the buffet). I didn't find this very "special" so didn't ask for the head waiter after that - just ordered sorbet for dessert each night.

I will probably report my chocolate allergy again for the Crown this July and see how the head waiter handles it this time. I would really like to try the apple walnut spring rolls but need to know that they haven't snuck any cocoa powder in the filling.

You might want to remind them to cook the pasta in fresh water rather than water used for gluten pasta. I tend to avoid pasta stations on ships for this reason though I am sure most of them know what they are doing. It just takes one mistake to ruin your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for that great tip! As you say, it would be smarter of me to just avoid. I could reward myself with extra cocktails instead...:halo:

Thanks for your response. This is what I expected the head waiter to do last summer on the Emerald, but he decided he would just bring me something "special" for dessert. I wasn't given any choices but was presented with a cup of lemon pudding or key lime tart (like from the buffet). I didn't find this very "special" so didn't ask for the head waiter after that - just ordered sorbet for dessert each night.

I will probably report my chocolate allergy again for the Crown this July and see how the head waiter handles it this time. I would really like to try the apple walnut spring rolls but need to know that they haven't snuck any cocoa powder in the filling.

That head waiter was not doing his job. I've seen many head waiters handle allergy problems, and this was not an acceptable solution. If something like this happens again, don't wait to complain. Speak to the maître d'. Or, if you are in anytime dining, try the other anytime dining restaurant.

With both the chocolate and gluten concerns, you would be much better ordering the night before.

By ordering the night before, you will be able to try apple walnut spring rolls. Even if they normally put cocoa powder in the filling, they will make yours without cocoa powder.

That head waiter was not doing his job. I've seen many head waiters handle allergy problems, and this was not an acceptable solution. If something like this happens again, don't wait to complain. Speak to the maître d'. Or, if you are in anytime dining, try the other anytime dining restaurant.

With both the chocolate and gluten concerns, you would be much better ordering the night before.

By ordering the night before, you will be able to try apple walnut spring rolls. Even if they normally put cocoa powder in the filling, they will make yours without cocoa powder.

Thank you for your encouragement and advice. I will enter my diet info ahead of time and see how it goes with a different head waiter. I'm really looking forward to our cruise, and I'm sure it will be fantastic!