Norwegian Gem Tips Etc.

gidgetgoes

Deck 7 is a wrap-around promenade deck. It goes 360° around the ship. Deck 12, aft of the Garden Cafe (buffet) is the Great Outdoors. Amazing space with great ocean views. They have a separate buffet station there and late night snacks/bar as well. Might be my favorite spot on the ship. Deck 13 Spinnaker Lounge, awesome forward views, lots of entertainment, quiet in the mornings. Deck 14/15, forward is a open sun deck. Great for views and photos when pulling into port early mornings. Also enjoy the poolside BBQ.

My daughter is 11 and relatively shy and introverted. She befriended a little girl from Quebec and spent the week learning to speak French to her. She went to camp reluctantly, but had fun depending on the crowd. My son is 8 and very extroverted, loved the camp. I'd say depending on your son's level of maturity and your comfort level he could find nice places to hand out and read. You can use the iConcierge app to text and call each other over ship's wifi and keep tabs on him.

My daughter is 11 and relatively shy and introverted. She befriended a little girl from Quebec and spent the week learning to speak French to her. She went to camp reluctantly, but had fun depending on the crowd. My son is 8 and very extroverted, loved the camp. I'd say depending on your son's level of maturity and your comfort level he could find nice places to hand out and read. You can use the iConcierge app to text and call each other over ship's wifi and keep tabs on him.

that's a good idea. he's an avid reader, so he's going to bring several in the series he's reading now. i just know a big part of his little world right now is the video games, but he's just going to need to expand his little world. that's what traveling is for, anyway! i do hope he meets a few kids. guess we'll just see how it goes. thanks!

We also just booked ocean park beach break in San Juan for our April cruise it's $45 pp (adults) kids have lower prices. It includes 6 drinks, lunch, beach chairs and umbrellas. Transport is $5 extra

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

that actually sounds awesome. we have decided to do a rainforest tour with Ellis that day instead of old town as we'd originally planned. he takes you to the rainforest, then back along the beach, lunch, then ship. we've never seen the rainforest. i really thought a day wandering around the fort and old town would be fun, but rainforest won out in the end.

No bowling lanes on the Gem when we were on in November. Just an FYI about the library - it is pretty busy in there. The only ship computers for internet access are in the library and there are only 3 of them so there was often a wait.

Have a great cruise.

just off the Gem and the internet manager sits in a make shift corner along the wall where the art gallery is located on Deck 6 and has gotten 2 computer stations installed there-she assists passengers from 10am-8pm:o

Be sure to take advantage of the complimentary restaurant O'Sheehan's Irish Pub on the ship. It is open 24 hours. Our favorite place on the Getaway, and my friend who just cruised the Gem said it is on that ship too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, Gem has O'Sheehans that spans both sides of the atrium. Check-in is on the port side forward.

They don't let carry-outs BTW.

We also just booked ocean park beach break in San Juan for our April cruise it's $45 pp (adults) kids have lower prices. It includes 6 drinks, lunch, beach chairs and umbrellas. Transport is $5 extra

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just back from the Gem where we did this Ocean Park Beach Break. We would do again, but transport option isn't working well...one group we met couldn't find the driver at all on the previous cruise and ours took us to the wrong resort!! This didn't ruin our day at all but wasted $10 getting to the wrong place! We took a cab and got there no problem. The cabbie gave us his card and he picked us up to return to the port!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums