Princess Hotels in LA?

Great to know as they aren't yet available for our cruise; thus my initial question.

Ruth

Through Princess you will pay considerably more than if you booked on your own. Even when they become available they shouldn't be sold out already.

A cab would cost about $20 from LB to the pier.

If staying at the LAX Marriott there is a small convenience store around the corner where you can stock up on soda and snacks to take on the ship. Easy if you are flying in as you don't have to worry about carrying them,

Chris

Three years back, I went through the same decision making process.

We were actually driving down from San Francisco and so dropping off a rental car was also a factor in our deliberations. Initially my idea was to do my own thing and deliver the bags to San Pedro before dropping off the car.

Having previously visited the Queen Mary, I did consider staying there but was warned off by knowledgeable CC members who warned me that it is very noisy and there are often late night events that will disturb people staying on board.

In the end we went for the Princess deal at the LAX Marriott. The reasoning was that when we allowed for the fact that we would need at taxi from the rental car drop off to San Pedro port and the fact that, if we stayed at the Marriott we could drop off the rental car one day early made the LAX Marriott plus transfers from Princess the best deal by far.

So we delivered the bags to the Marriott before I went on my own to drop off the rental car at LAX and then used the courtesy coaches to get to the hotel.

Next morning, we were required to place our bags outside our room by 08.00 and the next time we saw them was in our cabin on Island Princess.

Certainly, if (or more likely when) we next cruise out of San Pedro, although we normally do our own thing both pre-cruise and at ports of call, we will have no hesitation in taking the Princess pre-cruise / transfer deal at the LAX Marriott.

CM.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

There's no doubt whatsoever that Princess hotels and transfers can be done more economically on one's own. We're now at the stage of life where a bit of 'hand holding' is a comfort after decades of independent travels before we even began cruising and doing independent shore excursions.

Surprisingly Princess air fares from Canada are often comparable in price though I'm certain Americans can get far better deals.

And as our dollar slips, prices are in Canadian dollars and thus fixed. Now I realize this could work against us, but right now it seems unlikely.

We too have done San Pedro on our own.

Ruth

Before I retired we always bought everything thru Princess. Since I retired , I've had the time to arrange hotels and transfers. Princess air a lot cheaper then buying my own. If I lived near a major airport. I would buy my own airfare. Living away from a big airport , airfare is pricey. Princess air works better for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Before I retired we always bought everything thru Princess. Since I retired , I've had the time to arrange hotels and transfers. Princess air a lot cheaper then buying my own. If I lived near a major airport. I would buy my own airfare. Living away from a big airport , airfare is pricey. Princess air works better for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were the opposite, doing things on our own while working, even BEFORE internet. We used the British AA guide to holiday flats and such well before anything like VRBO and such were available. We even WROTE letters of inquiry and awaited slow responses. And we've done that in French and 'fractured' Italian and Spanish.

As I said, we're into cruising and easy travel now.

Ruth

• 3 weeks later...

Princess flights and hotels are now available for our '18 cruise and may be booked. Payment isn't due until final payment for the cruise portion.

Right now the Hyatt is the only hotel available and for Canadians, with our LOW dollar their price is actually a bit less than booking directly with the hotel in US dollars.

From the Hyatt we sure won't be able to visit the J P Getty Museum but we will make the trip into the city for a history and science museum which apparently are not too far apart. And the Carpenter Centre in Long Beach looks promising, so we'll find plenty to see and do.

We've booked to fly in four days early and stay at the Hyatt.

Ruth