Platinum Check-in/Ft. Lauderdale

naplesam

We will be checking in at Port Everglades for the first time as Platinum in a few weeks. We are familiar with the long lines that often snake outside the terminal. Is there a separate line for Platinum or do you wait in that line and then only go to a Platinum desk once inside?

We will be checking in at Port Everglades for the first time as Platinum in a few weeks. We are familiar with the long lines that often snake outside the terminal. Is there a separate line for Platinum or do you wait in that line and then only go to a Platinum desk once inside?

Thanks for asking the question, we're sailing in March in a full suite so we get to use this line as well.

Hope you have a great cruise!

We have never been able to get inside the terminal building prior to them opening the doors. Have been told by an Elite member, that they always knock on the exterior door and they let them into the Platinum/Elite line inside. However, were were not able to do this at either of the terminal buildings this summer and fall. Once you get inside the building there will be a sign that says Platinum/Elite on the right hand side. This line usually isn't long. You will have to give priority of course to any handicap passenger who will be boarding.

We were platinum for the first time last week on the Caribbean Princess. We're not sure what to expect but ended up very pleased with the results. Got there at 11:35 and the line was LONG. The doors opened a couple of minutes later and people started streaming in. With in 10 mins or so we were inside the terminal to see the line was now snaking around "bank" style and at the end of the line was security scanning everyone's bag. This was a change from prior years for us when this line went right to the deck check in and then everyone lined up for scanning. We were barely into the terminal when the lines separated into Platinum/Elite (and handicap too?) and then rest. The non platinum line had hundreds (or more) of people. We had maybe 10 or 15 in front of us in the Platinum/Elite line. Went through the scanning and right up to the Platinum/Elite check in (I think there were 2 and there was no line!) and then right on to the ship! I was VERY pleased and surprised with how fast it went!

Scott

Spoctor, can you clarify please. When you went in, was there a separate line for the scanning and separate scanners for the Plat/Elite, and handicap from the line for the others, or was there a separate line for the Plat/Elite and then you went into the same scanners as everyone else? How many scanning machines were there in total?

Clarify? Sure...no problem! At least as much as I can that is!

The line outside the terminal was just one long line with the exception of handicapped passengers whom they were letting in at the front. Once the door opened the line started moving into the terminal. In the past we have experienced that they would let into the building only 100 or so people at a time and everyone would head to the deck check in and then they would soon let another 100 or so in. This time everyone funneled into one line just inside the door. After the 2nd turn of this line there was a sign for Platinum/Elite members to stay to the right with all others going to the left. The left line continued to snake back and forth and I think fed into 2 scanners (it could have been more). The platinum line only fed into one scanner just for the people in the plat/elite line and we only had a few people in line in front of us. Once you had your carry ons scanned (they were being scanned not by Princess but by TSA or some such agency) you were free to proceed to your deck line for check in and then the only other line was to get your photo taken to tie in with your card (and the embarkation photo if you wanted of course :) ).

Not sure if there was another line for handicap or if it was shared with the plat/elite line. I seem to remember the sign saying something other then Platinum but I do not remember for sure what it was. Would make sense though if it was used as a dual plat/elite and handicapped line.

Any more questions feel free to ask! :)

Scott

Sailed on the CB on 10/29. The line outside the terminal was as noted several hundred people long. A Princess rep came down the line and told anyone with platinum/elite to go to a door next to the regular line. We did so and we were let in . Of course the passangers with disabilities boarded first, but then we were allowed to board. If I were you, I'd have one member of the party go up to the door and check to see if they are allowing you to go ahead. It was great because we were on board and had lunch all by 1-130. Have a great trip. Ellen

The line outside the terminal was just one long line with the exception of handicapped passengers whom they were letting in at the front.

Not so! We started in that long snaking line that seemed to go for miles. We asked, and were told that we could go straight through the open door, as platinum members. We sat in air-conditioned comfort with seats while the mail doors were locked and everyone was still lined up outside.

That is so cool to know! Thanks Baxter and Ellen! Wish I would have know last week! Actually the wait in line wasn't that long. We got into the building pretty fasy and I had a great time talking to a couple in line about their last cruise and our last cruise. Another question for you. Can you bring other into the Platinum line with you? Next year we are traveling with my parents on their first cruise and another couple who are on their 2nd. Can they ride our coat tails or would they have to stand in line? I am guessing they (and so we would too :( ) have to wait in the regular line.

Thanks;

Scott

Good question Scott. My husband and I are in a full suite on our next sailing but the kids have their own cabin and it's an inside. I would assume that they can board in the line for Platinum/suite check in with us and we're paying for their cabin and they're minors, at least that's what I'm planning.

I would think the kids would be fine and/or one other adult. Not sure what they would say if I started dragging half the line in with me though! :) :)

FYI. When we went to the platinum lounge at the end of the cruise there was someone posted there checking cruise cards but I only showed her mine and the 4 (me, DW and 2 kids) all went in togther as a family. I would guess it would be the same when boarding?

When we went into the embarkation area, I just waved my travel documents which had an "Platinum" sticker on it. My husband was not platinum this trip, and it worked. When we went into the disembarkation area, I just showed my card and walked through with him.

Although my husband and I are plantinum. the group in front of us had a mix. Because one of the group had a platinum member and their documents had the platinum logo, all the people in that cabin were allowed in. If I were you, and had two seperate cabins booked, I would just show my docs with the platinum logo. They did not check how many people were in the cabin, just that you had platinum check in. Hope this helps, or if unsure, ask again Ellen

This I got from the CC rep on the Star recently - Elite and Platinum perks apply to everybody in the cabin even if only one is Elite/Platinum. We were traveling with our Son who has only two cruises and he was afforded the perks including priority tender boarding and even was invited to the most traveled luncheon with us.

Ron

We are Platinum and last April we cruised on the Golden Princess with another couple who are not. They were allowed to check in with us and wait in the PLatinum lounge on debarkation day, no problem. The agent behind the embarkation desk just sent someone else to the other desk to pick up their cruise cards while he checked them in on his computer.

Archived