Annoying Passengers - A waiter's perspective

rambollet

I honestly think the crew knows who has pre-paid their gratuity and who hasn't before the cruise ends. I always pre-pay the gratuity as it is one less thing for me to worry about. And I have noticed we get wonderful service on the cruises both Celebrity and the other one...

Does it mean that you only get good service because of prepaid gratuities?

Most of these made perfect sense to me ... I'm a first time adult cruiser (went with my parents as a teen). We've prepaid gratuity; my question (I don't want to appear cheap OR to offend my server) does it (prepaid gratuity) cover tipping servers? I'll be sure to bring extra cash BUT do you tip as you would if you were paying the tab (I'm used to seeing a bill and doing the math in my head).

I was a server (and bartender) and as I said; I DONT want to offend. I planned to leave small tips here & there but want to have a better idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So I'm sure there are a TON of rude people out there, but I'd hope that they are greatly outweighed by the nice folk. Anyone in a customer service role has their horror stores - and there is a special place in heaven for the good ones!

BUT....

1 - Sometimes I want to try something on the menu (be adventurous), but am not sure I will like it. I don't want to hold up my table by having to order another appetizer/entree, so I order two at once. **I** view it as being considerate of my fellow table-mates. I don't do it all the time, but to think that I'm being a pig isn't correct.

3 - Maybe my birthday isn't ON that day....maybe it's close and I want to celebrate with my family. What's wrong with that?

4 - I know how hard waiting tables is and try to acknowledge my wait(er/ess) with a "hello" and a smile.....but maybe I was in the throngs of a conversation when you introduced yourself and didn't want to lose my thought. I blurted out "Can I have a Diet Coke" so you could go on about your business and I wouldn't forget what I was saying (at my age that happens - a LOT!).

5 - food photos.....how may times has someone on CC posted pictures for the foodies out there and everyone said "Oh thank you! I am thrilled to know what is offered"? This cruise food is new and exciting to me.....I want to show off to my friends after the cruise. Ya never know, they might be your next customer!

8 & 9 - these are appropriate for land based restaurants, but when was the last time you saw anyone talking on their phone on a cruise? And just why do I need a pen at dinner on a cruise?

10 - Auto-tipping has all but made this a non-issue. These boards are full of people chastising others for removing the auto-tips. I'm guessing it is the exception rather than the rule.

11 - Who really picks up their plate/glass and hands it to the waiter? Not sure how often this really happens.

12 - Free stuff?? Like a free pen or like a free meal? I know that there are some out there that will complain about everything just to get a free <something>, but I'll bet they are few and far between (including the one-and-done rants that we see from time to time)

I know there will be some who will disagree with me on these points. I totally understand.....but this is my opinion.....yours may be different...but be nice when responding please!

I never put anything past human beings. I've seen too many people doing dumb stuff over the years.

Most of these made perfect sense to me ... I'm a first time adult cruiser (went with my parents as a teen). We've prepaid gratuity; my question (I don't want to appear cheap OR to offend my server) does it (prepaid gratuity) cover tipping servers? I'll be sure to bring extra cash BUT do you tip as you would if you were paying the tab (I'm used to seeing a bill and doing the math in my head).

I was a server (and bartender) and as I said; I DONT want to offend. I planned to leave small tips here & there but want to have a better idea.

Your pre-paid gratuities cover tips to everyone on the ship....whether you see them or not (i.e., the kitchen staff, those at the buffets, room steward, servers, bartenders, etc) you don't "have" to tip anyone else. Do so if you wish and if that person has enhanced your cruise experience.

Don't let some people "push" you into thinking that extra tipping is necessary. Pre-paying gratuities is sufficient.

Also, most people on cruises aren't the awful people this article makes them out to be. Yes, there are some, but they are few and far between......just a cross section of our society.

I was so worried I'd catch heck for writing that; I just don't want to offend anyone on the ship. Again; I've worked as a server and bartender and know they're tough positions... thank you for your response. I do plan to leave little tips here and there but worried certain servers might not be seeing the prepaids.

Thank You so much [emoji106]🏻

You don't have to prepay gratuities. Cruise lines charge X amount from your credit card (or cash account) everyday. It covers all necessary tipping. You don't have to tip more unless you feel that someone went far and beyond for you.

Tipping used to be by cash in envelopes on the last night to your waiter, assistant waiter and cabin steward. Some people wouldn't show up during the last dinner to save money. This is what was described in this article I believe.

Must admit, I read this and just think it is sad that people treat the waiters like this! Having said that, we have seen some really rude passengers talking to the staff like they were dirt and have gone to their managers to compliment the staff concerned on their professionalism and patience !

Also, most people on cruises aren't the awful people this article makes them out to be. Yes, there are some, but they are few and far between......just a cross section of our society.

Agree with Presto and have seen MANY rude passengers talk to waitstaff and other staff rudely like they were their servants.

Disagree with CaroleSS. On a recent cruise, over half of the ship were together with a large group. They were the rudest, most obnoxious group I have even encountered. They were rude to staff and they were rude to fellow passengers! The rest of us "normal" folks were in disbelief as to their lack of manners, loudness, pushing and shoving in the elevators, etc. We found out they do this sailing every year and believe me, we'll never again.

You don't have to prepay gratuities. Cruise lines charge X amount from your credit card (or cash account) everyday. It covers all necessary tipping. You don't have to tip more unless you feel that someone went far and beyond for you.

Tipping used to be by cash in envelopes on the last night to your waiter, assistant waiter and cabin steward. Some people wouldn't show up during the last dinner to save money. This is what was described in this article I believe.

In the days of the envelopes, morning breakfast in the MDR was deserted - I asked a waiter why and he said those people did not hand out envelopes. Granted this was years ago before alternate dining venues were available.

In the days of the envelopes, morning breakfast in the MDR was deserted - I asked a waiter why and he said those people did not hand out envelopes. Granted this was years ago before alternate dining venues were available.

Yes indeed. I always shuddered at the cheapskates who were often the most demanding at dinner each night, and pulled the disappearing act on the last night. I am HAPPY the pre-paid gratuities exist.

I confess I try not to photograph my food too much, but the presentation is usually so impressive that I really want to record and remember it. For city dwellers who dine out often I'm sure it's not that big a deal, but for those of us from rural or small town backgrounds the artistic endeavors of the culinary staff are definitely one of the WOW factors of cruising.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I have travelled a lot and have photo books / albums going back to the 1960s.

The one that people visiting want to see, and the one that shows a bit of serious wear is my only collection that isn't really about a "trip"....

It's dedicated to pictures of cruise ship food. The most delectable presentations I've been served all collected under one cover.

I'm working of volume two!

hrelpg.jpg

qnl2t1.jpg

Why exactly would a waiter object to people taking a picture of their plate of food? How does this make his job more difficult or how is it rude?

Not a person on this board dislikes the "Food" pics? If nothing else, the cruise line loves the free marketing. What's the issue?

Why exactly would a waiter object to people taking a picture of their plate of food? How does this make his job more difficult or how is it rude?

Not a person on this board dislikes the "Food" pics? If nothing else, the cruise line loves the free marketing. What's the issue?

Very good point...

Yes indeed. I always shuddered at the cheapskates who were often the most demanding at dinner each night' date=' and pulled the disappearing act on the last night. I am HAPPY the pre-paid gratuities exist.[/quote']

We always pay gratuities (prepaid or added to our bill) during the cruise, but I would not dare to call people who do not pay gratuities "cheapstakes" without knowing their reasons....

We have also experienced waiters on land and on cruises, who seem to avoid noticing that they are needed for some help. I do not think that it is necessary to polarize between people who are in the service area and clients. As long there is respect and a good job performance, we would be just fine. It irritates me to see in cruise ships at the bars, people tipping for an extra good service in advance. For example at the elite lounge. Waiters seem to be very attentive if passengers are giving them tips. If you do not, then you tend to be ignored... Is this right? I do not like to be served better or worse just because I am distributing money around. I want people to perform their jobs without giving the impression "you pay me more and you get a better service"

Edited by travelberlin

I thought that when food leaves the kitchen and goes to the buffet, any left in the serving trays is thrown out. Whether it's thrown out from the serving tray or someone's plate doesn't make much difference, does it?

I confess I try not to photograph my food too much, but the presentation is usually so impressive that I really want to record and remember it. For city dwellers who dine out often I'm sure it's not that big a deal, but for those of us from rural or small town backgrounds the artistic endeavors of the culinary staff are definitely one of the WOW factors of cruising.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I agree! The nice presentation of food is part of what makes me feel pampered on a cruise. I have never photographed my food, but I do enjoy receiving a nicely arranged plate or a pretty dessert. :hearteyes: Makes me feel "fancy", and I appreciate the effort the chefs put into making things look and taste good to enhance my dining experience.

Edited by galensgrl

I think if I was less lazy on vacation I might be tempted to take such photos but the reality is that it's so easy to snag other people's photos when they post them that I'll just rely on that. Increasingly I'm realizing that the only photos I really need to take are the ones where my family and I are the featured objects in frame. It's kind of an upside and downside of our vacation experiences being so heavily packaged and therefore consistent from one person to the next to the next... Someone else's pictures of something that we have visited are just as meaningful to us as our own would be.

Having said that, I still will expend significant energy taking really nice photographs of what we see along the Inside passage and on the glaciers of Alaska. I know in the back of my mind that every single one of my photos somebody else has already taken and probably taken a much better photo of what I'm photographing. But for that at least Alaska's vistas, I think the fact that I took the photograph will be somewhat meaningful. I don't think I can say the same thing about photographing a dish of food.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Taking a photograph of your plate is not polite. You are preventing other diners at your table from starting their meal until your photograph has been taken. You also may be obstructing the waiters as they go about their business.

Nonsense. :cool:

Nonsense. :cool:

I'm going with rubbish!:D Unless you are setting up a tripod, studio lighting and backdrops pulling out your phone and snapping a picture isn't preventing anyone from doing anything. Now the cruise photographers than constantly interrupt to take $20 pics at the table are a distraction and can actually get in the way of the waiters. If people taking a picture at dinner will offend anyone it's probably best they only dine with friends or alone. It's a fairly common practice now.

We always pay gratuities (prepaid or added to our bill) during the cruise, but I would not dare to call people who do not pay gratuities "cheapstakes" without knowing their reasons...

If one can pay thousands for a cruise, then one can pay the very minimum pre-paid gratuity amount.

Taking a photograph of your plate is not polite. You are preventing other diners at your table from starting their meal until your photograph has been taken. You also may be obstructing the waiters as they go about their business.

Nonsense.

First, I only dine with those that would not have an objection since I don't dine with strangers.

Second, a snap shot with a camera phone takes a second or two.

Third, once everyone is served everyone can begin eating, they don't have to wait for a picture to be taken.

And exactly how would it obstruct the waiters? Even with a flash, it bothers no one. A person sits at their seat, points their camera at their plate and snaps. How exactly does that bother you or anyone else? I'm not a picture taker.

This is complaining just for the sake of complaining and it is confrontational.