Inside Passage - Ruby vs Emerald

ckb104

Getting ready for 6/3/17 departure on Ruby. We have a balcony. Will that afford us a good view at glacier Bay or do we need to be up on the deck? Also is the sanctuary worth the $60 and does it give you a good enough View? Thanks!

Not sure is the Sanctuary gets much use on an Alaska cruise. The real lure of the Sanctuary is relaxing on the loungers and avoiding the poolside crowds. For Alaska, the pools usually aren't busy and if you're lying on a lounger, you won't be able to see much detail of the Alaskan wilderness or wildlife. Best viewing of Alaska is from your balcony or one of the public decks, preferably without windows (especially dirty ones) in front of you. Personally, I'd pass on the Sanctuary...

Captains usually pivot the ship around through one or two 360 degree turns while in front of the glaciers so both sides get a good view. You'll be able to see things from your balcony with the added bonus of staying dry under the overhang if it's rainy. However, some say the upper open decks are best for viewing with the added bonus of being able to hear the National Parks Ranger's commentary over the PA system which isn't broadcast into your cabin (but MAY be available on the TV system in your room). Skywalkers is also a good viewing spot...

Edited by Av8tor

The Sanctuary may be nice; but I don't know if I can sit in there all day. I may be ADD + HD + a few other letters. I have to move around and to things; so I will skip that area and have fun on my balcony and other parts of the ship. My opinion only; I know there are people who will pay the money and lounge there all day. So have fun and enjoy

Getting ready for 6/3/17 departure on Ruby. We have a balcony. Will that afford us a good view at glacier Bay or do we need to be up on the deck? Also is the sanctuary worth the $60 and does it give you a good enough View? Thanks!

IMO - No. I love being on Deck 7. It is not crowded and the lower perspective is better for pictures IMO. Plus, you can move easily from side to side and front to aft.

I would never pay to stay in one place for Glacier Bay.

The Sanctuary did fill up on our cruise for Glacier Bay day. They do just full days that day. Personally, I wasn't interested because I would rather be able to go wherever I like without feeling like I wasted money. I think you get better views from your balcony or on deck.

We have been to Glacier Bay 2 times and Tracy Arm once. We did do the small boat excursion in Tracy Arm. We were in Glacier Bay last week. Both my wife & I thought Tracy Arm was preferable. It may not have been without taking the small boat excursion though. We did see bear on the small boat excursion on the shore.

We have been to Glacier Bay 2 times and Tracy Arm once. We did do the small boat excursion in Tracy Arm. We were in Glacier Bay last week. Both my wife & I thought Tracy Arm was preferable. It may not have been without taking the small boat excursion though. We did see bear on the small boat excursion on the shore.

What month did you visit Tracy Arm?

Though - it is not accessibly for many people who go. So if someone was to go once, I think it is better to go with a sure thing (Glacier Bay). I have missed Tracy Arm 4x.

Tracy Arm was not accessible via ships until August or so last year.

Edited by Coral

Though - it is not accessibly for many people who go. So if someone was to go once, I think it is better to go with a sure thing (Glacier Bay). I have missed Tracy Arm 4x.

Tracy Arm was not accessible via ships until August or so last year.

wow August. I go in July; so if it is still too icy do they go to a different part of fijord or do they just head to Juneau.