Anyone purchase a soda card recently?

Marbella

It was on the gift order form the I downloaded yesterday from the Holland America website. The bottom of the form says prices effective January 2006. It took me several attempts on many occassions to get their site to work. In the past we always got a sticker for the sail and sign cards and wondered how this new card worked. Has anyone seen this yet.

Thank you so much, Cruiser for your reply.

I just tried to access the HAL website and couldn't do so either. There is now a note of apology regarding access is difficult due to high volume as a result of the "upgrade sale" now on.

I will keep trying. I am still truly amazed at the amount of information that can be learned on this board!

Thanks!

My cruise documents that just came for my 2/3/06 Zaandam cruise has a gift guide (2005) that states a 10-day soda fountain card is $43.13. It is item #935. I'm hoping it is still available as a free unlimited soda fountain card is one of my 'onboard extras' I received when I booked my cruise.

My question would be why is HAL sending out Doc's with 2005 Gift List Prices when on their site they have the 2006 prices:confused:

and they show the 20 sodas for $18.75..As long as these are for cans then it's not a bad price but if it is for fountain then HAL is not doing right by us:mad:

Eagerly awaiting my credit card statement to figure out what is going on with the soda card (how much they charged me and what they consider the "package" to be) I was quoted $18.75 over the phone prior to my cruise and never restricted in my soda purchases onboard (Christmas Caribbean Cruise, Zaandam). Will let you all know what transpires and what (if anything) I have to do to resolve the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

i am also curious (will be on HAL to alaska in may) wife and i love soda and wanted the all you can drink card. HAL website only offering 20 sodas for $18.50 and the contact us portion of the website not working at all. any info you veterans can give us would be super thanks

Hi All~

Just got off the phone with Stateroom Services. I purchased a soda card for $18.?? for a 7 day cruise on the Z on 26 March 06.

They gave me a confirmation number and said the card would be in my room on embarkation day.

I'm also a Diet Coke Lover!

gbeer, that's what I bought and I was permitted unlimited consumption. Only $18.75 was charged to my credit card, so all's well that ends well.

My guess is that sooner or later HAL will "catch on" that they are giving us the same product for half the price ;) and instruct staff to use a punch card system.

Sounds great. Does it state restrictions, like not good in the theater or room service, dining room, lido, etc. and just good in the bars? Does it say it will be cans or fountain drinks? we'll be on Veendam in march. if anyone has experience with this new card on Veendam would like to hear how it went. Twenty cans in the room doesn't help if you want it at a show! Thanks.

I'm guessing that the system will be the same as is used for glasses of wine. There's a set price for a set number of glasses. (I don't remember the specifics---maybe 10 glasses). When the card is finished you can purchase a new one.

RuthC....this is the first time I've heard about this. How does it work? I'm a wine drinker and usually have one or two glasses a day. I've never seen or heard anything about buying a wine card.

Tricia, I don't know much more than what I posted.

On the Maasdam last summer there was a woman I met nightly in the Piano Bar; she had a wine card. She would order her glass of wine, and instead of signing a pesky little slip to keep track of, she would hand over a wine card. It was a piece of paper---maybe a 3" X 5" size. They would either punch a hole, or mark it somehow, and that was that. When the card was completed she bought a new one.

There was a price savings over and above the ease of use factor.

Once upon a time (the operative word being "once") there was a similar card for real drinks.:D You paid $50 and got $60 worth of drinks.:D It was a "smart card" in that whatever small amount was left on the card stayed when you refilled it. My husband put it to real good use. Real good. :eek:

Perhaps that was why it disappeared? :confused:

It is not listed on the January 2006 gift, wine or booze lists (but the soda card is at $18.75 for 20 sodas but it doesn't state limitations, which is the original question i raised). But I've read on these boards that there is a table at the lido on embarkation day where the 3, 4, 5 bottles and the card are offered. Check when you board. Then I also read here that the sommelier will offer you the various options at your first dinner.

thanks for the answers. while i would love to buy a card for $18 and have it work the whole week i am afraid of the possible ramifications. it would seem to me that a cruise line like HAL would be more organized than this. i am really disappointed that such a small matter cant be resolved. whats worse is when you do call you get all kinds of different answers. no soda cards, $36 cards, $18 cards etc etc. 3 calls and all 3 gave different answers. i didnt buy anything

On the most recent HAL gift order form which states prices effective

January 2006, under Wine & Beverage it is now listed as follows:

934 Soda Fountain Card(good for 20 sodas) $18.75

It is frustrating to receive different answers .

Most of us were wondering, now that it is finally listed again, if this is for cans or just the fountain drinks. I guess that too, depends on the bartender and the ship!

The listing on the order form is the first clue: Soda Fountain Card. The card is for fountain poured drinks only (some bartenders /stewards may bring you a can, but the card is for fountain poured drinks).

By buying in advance you do avoid the 15% gratuity which will be charged if you purchase the card on the ships. The charge is $18.75 for 20 drinks and can be used in any bar. Coke products are what is available from the bar fountains.

On the most recent HAL gift order form which states prices effective

January 2006, under Wine & Beverage it is now listed as follows:

934 Soda Fountain Card(good for 20 sodas) $18.75

It is frustrating to receive different answers .

Most of us were wondering, now that it is finally listed again, if this is for cans or just the fountain drinks. I guess that too, depends on the bartender and the ship!

I cannot find it on the online gift site...boohoo!

Archived