Harmony with 2 tween-teen kids different ages/different kids clubs - help!

We're taking our first RC cruise with the kids in June on Harmony and I've read such conflicting reports on how they handle siblings who are different ages for the kids clubs. I have two boys - they'll be 11 and 13 on the cruise. That splits them up into two separate kids clubs - one in the 9-11 group and one in the 12-14 "teen" club (if I'm reading this right). They are NOT super social kids who love mingling with strangers and would prefer to stick together, but I've heard this is rarely allowed. They've both said if they have to get put into clubs alone they'd rather avoid the kids clubs altogether. My 13-year-old read some of the "teen" stuff I found on here and said it doesn't sound like fun - dance parties and music are not his thing at all. He's a quiet kid who likes to read and play video games and board games etc. My 11-year-old is more outgoing, but nervous about not being with his big bro. Can someone who's experienced at cruising with kids please let me know how it really works (:cool::cool:Bonus points if you've had a similar situation on Harmony :cool::cool:)

Also, I've heard you have to register your kids on the first night at some sort of kids club orientation?? Will this be obvious when we get on board or will we have to seek it out ourselves?

Any tips for cruising with kids this age would be MUCH appreciated. My older one is super excited. My younger one keeps calling the ship the Titanic and said he wants to bring an inflatable life ring in case we hit an ice berg ;)

My girls were 10 and 12 on the Oasis. We signed them up for kids club on the first day (registration times were in the compass). We checked off that they were allowed to check themselves out. The only ended up going once during the week and didn't stay long.

We just made them stay together, but gave them. freedom to go do whatever they wanted. They found plenty to do without the kids club.

We're going on allure this summer and they'll be 14 and 16. I guess we'll see if the teen activities are more appealing to them 😃.

Sent from my H1623 using Tapatalk

I can't answer your specific questions, but... I would bet they're like Carnival. Moving kids between the groups typically depends on the number of kids enrolled. We've seen them move kids up to the next level if there are fewer kids.

As far as sailing with kids that age, our son loves it! I don't know that he was actually nervous about it beforehand. If he was, he never said anything. Once he was on that ship, he found the freedom of hanging out with the other kids great! He was given boundaries and limitations, times he had to be back, etc... We would check the schedule to verify what time he had to be "home" by, and he followed the rules we put in place. It also depends on what we're doing. The Alaska trip - we had more restrictions in place due to long port/excursion days. So no midnight curfews the night before those trips. But on the Caribbean cruises we've done, it's usually hanging at a beach - doesn't require a ton of sleep the night before! ;) I just think it's important that our kids, at this age, know what they can and can't do, and where they should be at what time.

I hope they have a good time! :)

Thanks so much! I want it to be fun for my kids, but feel like I don't really get how it'll work for them yet.... I really hope they can hang out together at least part of the time. I think at least one of them should have the wifi plan so they can text us when they're on the ship. Can't wait to play Sophie's Choice with deciding which kid gets the wifi plan and which one doesn't LOL

My kids typically go to their respective kids club the first night. The first night is key to meet a group of kids. Mine are introverted and typically this isn't their thing but they manage to meet a few kids to hang out with during the cruise. They rarely do the activities in the teen club but use it as a meeting place.

When my DS was 11 he wasn't too into AO so I allowed him to sign himself in and out. It was better when he was 12 and in the teen club.

You may encourage them to try it and see the first night who they may meet. It is pretty typical to see 11 year olds together in the arcade, etc. If it doesn't work out, then your kids can pal around together.

I think that both should go to the kids club on the first night. Most reports say it's 8-10pm on Harmony to meet other kids. For the older one - if he meets other teens that he can hang with he doesn't have to use the club and can just arrange activities directly. For the younger one - he can always tag along with the older one. All of this depends on your comfort level with the kids being alone on the ship but Royal would allow it if you do.

It's a parenting choice but like the PP, with rules and checkin plans it's very manageable. (I would probably start with a short leash and allow it to be longer as behavior warranted but every parent is different!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely agree with having them go to the kids clubs on the first night. Even if they don't spend a lot of time in the club during the cruise, they will meet friends to hang with outside of the clubs on that first night. Whether the kids are introverted or extroverted, they do some things to get them to know each other. I just asked my daughter (who is now 18) and she said they did things like have everyone say 2 truths and a lie about themselves, and you have to guess which is the lie. Her favorite was a scavenger hunt the first night. Kids quickly started working together to find things. They will sometimes combine age groups for a single activity, and ages don't really matter when people are hanging out together outside of the club. DD18 and DD21 would hang around together a lot in a pack of kids of varying ages, even though they were in separate groups. Almost certainly, there will be others siblings in the same situation.

My boys are the exact same age difference as yours, so we have this problem every so often when they fall in different age categories. Our first cruise, I thought they'd hate the kids' club because they'd be in different groups (and aren't always quick to make friends), but fortunately they both loved it and wanted to go every night (this was when they were still both in Adventure Ocean, though - not the tween or teen club). Our last cruise they were separated again, with my older one in the tween club. There weren't many kids on that ship and they were pretty bored at their respective clubs, so they just ended up hanging out together playing ping pong or at the arcade or whatever. They still had a ball. It was definitely helpful to have the wi-fi plan so our older son could text us. Usually they'd go to the kids club after dinner, see if it was fun, and then head out on their own if not. After a few hours they'd text us and we'd all meet up to hang out together for awhile. Both ways - at kids' club and not - worked out great and we all had a blast.

Thanks so much! I want it to be fun for my kids, but feel like I don't really get how it'll work for them yet.... I really hope they can hang out together at least part of the time. I think at least one of them should have the wifi plan so they can text us when they're on the ship. Can't wait to play Sophie's Choice with deciding which kid gets the wifi plan and which one doesn't LOL

They can share the wifi if they're willing to. It's just one device at a time but if one kid logs out the other could log in.

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

I've heard of them moving siblings within AO or the Teen Club, but not moving kids between AO and the Teen Club. Last year my daughters were 10 and 12.. I was worried at first but they ended up making friends the first night and had fun being in separate groups. This year they were 12 & 13 and in the same group. They were actually happier being in separate groups. My older daughter is quiet and shy. My younger daughter is more outgoing. My older daughter felt it was easier to make friends without her sister around.

Even if your older son doesn't want to do any of the activities it's good to go the first night. He can meet kids to just hang out with. They can hang out in the Teen club even if they don't want to participate in activities.

My boys are the exact same age difference as yours, so we have this problem every so often when they fall in different age categories. Our first cruise, I thought they'd hate the kids' club because they'd be in different groups (and aren't always quick to make friends), but fortunately they both loved it and wanted to go every night (this was when they were still both in Adventure Ocean, though - not the tween or teen club). Our last cruise they were separated again, with my older one in the tween club. There weren't many kids on that ship and they were pretty bored at their respective clubs, so they just ended up hanging out together playing ping pong or at the arcade or whatever. They still had a ball. It was definitely helpful to have the wi-fi plan so our older son could text us. Usually they'd go to the kids club after dinner, see if it was fun, and then head out on their own if not. After a few hours they'd text us and we'd all meet up to hang out together for awhile. Both ways - at kids' club and not - worked out great and we all had a blast.

THANKS for that recap! I'm feeling a little better it'll all work out :D

I've heard of them moving siblings within AO or the Teen Club, but not moving kids between AO and the Teen Club. Last year my daughters were 10 and 12.. I was worried at first but they ended up making friends the first night and had fun being in separate groups. This year they were 12 & 13 and in the same group. They were actually happier being in separate groups. My older daughter is quiet and shy. My younger daughter is more outgoing. My older daughter felt it was easier to make friends without her sister around.

Even if your older son doesn't want to do any of the activities it's good to go the first night. He can meet kids to just hang out with. They can hang out in the Teen club even if they don't want to participate in activities.

Yeah my boys are polar opposites too. THANKS for the scoop!!!!!