Two part question: 1) Is Princess for us? 2) Cruising Baltic end of May

traveltripper

There will definitely be MUTS rain or shine, the previous poster was referring to their dislike to the cold weather, not that there was literary "no MUTS"

I've watched MUTS while it was snowing on a Princess ship..

Srpilo

Oh, good to know. Thanks!

We also used EZAir for the best deal and wished we had spent more than three days in Copenhagen.

I can't say enough good about SPB Tours for St. Petersburg. We saw much more in two days than those booking the tour through Princess and it had a substantially lower price. Also loved that the group size was no more than 20, ours was 16, rather than the 40 passenger busses used by Princess.

Never heard of EZAir, but did see the land/cruise option. Might look into that. Thanks for the tour info, I'm interested in doing something like that. Sometimes I will book with the cruise to avoid last minute rushing back to the ship and to make sure we get back on! :)

Did you need to apply for a visa to do the private tour?

We are Diamond on Carnival and have completed now 3 14-15 day cruises on Princess.

Sorry we didnt start with Princess years ago. Food is better especially buffets and entertainment is somewhat better especially the production shows.

Yeah, food has always been pretty meh on Carnival but we figured that was because it was a giant cruise ship. Looking forward to trying something new! Thanks for you post.

Hi, thanks for the post! We get ship credit as we are booking through Costco and hope to use that credit on the for pay dining rooms. After reviewing posts, I am planning on packing similar to what you have stated. Happy cruising!

We'll make the same cruise, but departing Copenhagen on 11 May, so we might cross paths at the pier. Have not cruised aboard Regal but have twice on her sister ship the Royal which is our absolute favorite cruise ship. You have to have lunch or even dinner in Alfredos at least once.

St Petersburg is probably the northern most point on the trip and is well south of the Arctic Circle. http://www.accuweather.com/en/ru/saint-petersburg/295212/may-weather/295212?monyr=5/1/2017 indicates SPB wx on your trip as highs in the low 60s to low 70s with lows in the upper 30s to mid 40s. We will have light layers available, a light rain jacket and good walking shoes.

You should probably join the CC Roll Call for your cruise.

See you on the pier (maybe) on May 22nd...

That sounds nice! How much - worth it?

Worth is in the eye of the beholder. Some people book it every cruise no matter what while others would never pay for such a set-up. Price depends on length of cruise, usually can't be bought by the day but that depends on spa manager. 10 night sailings have run about $199 pp...

Never heard of EZAir, but did see the land/cruise option. Might look into that. Thanks for the tour info, I'm interested in doing something like that. Sometimes I will book with the cruise to avoid last minute rushing back to the ship and to make sure we get back on! :)

We also cruised in May in 2015. Great ship. Weather will be very nice. Being from La. we were a bit chilled. No swimming or people hanging out at deck bars in the evening.

We used Alla Tours and needed no visas in St, Pete. You don't need them if you are on a tour. You will need one(not worth it) if you tour on your own.

Book the cruise. You won't regret it.

Worth is in the eye of the beholder. Some people book it every cruise no matter what while others would never pay for such a set-up. Price depends on length of cruise, usually can't be bought by the day but that depends on spa manager. 10 night sailings have run about $199 pp...

That's true about worth. Thanks for the heads up on the spa!

We also cruised in May in 2015. Great ship. Weather will be very nice. Being from La. we were a bit chilled. No swimming or people hanging out at deck bars in the evening.

We used Alla Tours and needed no visas in St, Pete. You don't need them if you are on a tour. You will need one(not worth it) if you tour on your own.

Book the cruise. You won't regret it.

OK, this is sounding like a great trip weather-wise, I think we will be ok. Coming from a place where it's 70 today but snowing yesterday...we can do this!

Thanks for the pointers on touring in St. Petersburg. Good to know.

While we were on the same cruise in July, we found the weather to be great most times. But be prepared for rain. We went with our teenage kids, and one of their favourite memories is Oslo. Every time it pours here at home now, one of them will look out, and say "eh, it's not OSLO." We were drenched. I'm not sure a jacket would have even helped. But it was a definite memory maker. The pool area did not get used a whole lot, but our girls did bundle up and watch MUTS a couple of times - they were in it for the warm popcorn I think! We found the colored lights fountain to be a joke, since it stays light so late, and usually was so windy, that they couldn't do any of their "shows" as scheduled! I'll put in my plug as well for SPB - we used them for St. Petersburg, Berlin and Stockholm and were very impressed, and would book them again with no apprehension at all!

We were on the Regal for the Baltics in the last week of May 2015.

It was like spring weather for us here in the northeast. Great time to walk around. Tulips were also in full bloom at that time.

There were only 2 instances where we had showers. One was in Oslo for around 30 minutes of drizzle. The other was in the Hermitage in St. Petersburg that was just a few minutes of shower. We brought a rain poncho for easy packing.

We had SPB Tours for their 2-day Deluxe St. Petersburg Tour.

The tour company takes care of it. If you book with SPB they will ask you for necessary information and then send you documents to print and bring with you. This tour ticket will be needed at customs and will serve as your visa.

Another EZAir! I've got to check them out. Can you book air after you have booked the cruise or do you have to do them at the same time? Booking tonight when I get home from work. Thanks!

We booked air a few days after we booked the cruise, through the Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website.

Another EZAir! I've got to check them out. Can you book air after you have booked the cruise or do you have to do them at the same time? Booking tonight when I get home from work. Thanks!

No need to book at the same time you book the cruise.

When you do book EZAir you will have a choice of flexible or restricted fares.

With flexible, you can change reservations (or cancel them) or get any lower price you see up until 45 days before the first flight or when the cruise starts, whichever is earlier. With restricted, you will not be able to make any changes, just like if you book with most airlines directly.

Although you might expect that flexible fares are higher than the restricted, most of the time the opposite is true.

Hi Bluenoser2: Are you talking about Alla Tours for SPB? Thanks! I haven't looked into the whole visa thing as it seems there is some paperwork for me to complete beforehand.

Interesting to hear about the different weather experiences. We are used to up and down weather. Today in Denver it is supposed to be mid-70s, but by Friday it'll be rainy and cold at 40s. I've seen it snow in the sunshine!

While we were on the same cruise in July, we found the weather to be great most times. But be prepared for rain. We went with our teenage kids, and one of their favourite memories is Oslo. Every time it pours here at home now, one of them will look out, and say "eh, it's not OSLO." We were drenched. I'm not sure a jacket would have even helped. But it was a definite memory maker. The pool area did not get used a whole lot, but our girls did bundle up and watch MUTS a couple of times - they were in it for the warm popcorn I think! We found the colored lights fountain to be a joke, since it stays light so late, and usually was so windy, that they couldn't do any of their "shows" as scheduled! I'll put in my plug as well for SPB - we used them for St. Petersburg, Berlin and Stockholm and were very impressed, and would book them again with no apprehension at all!

Hi, thanks for your post! Sounds like you had a great time. What was your favorite port/activity and why?

We were on the Regal for the Baltics in the last week of May 2015.

It was like spring weather for us here in the northeast. Great time to walk around. Tulips were also in full bloom at that time.

There were only 2 instances where we had showers. One was in Oslo for around 30 minutes of drizzle. The other was in the Hermitage in St. Petersburg that was just a few minutes of shower. We brought a rain poncho for easy packing.

We had SPB Tours for their 2-day Deluxe St. Petersburg Tour.

OK, good to know, thanks!

The tour company takes care of it. If you book with SPB they will ask you for necessary information and then send you documents to print and bring with you. This tour ticket will be needed at customs and will serve as your visa.

Oops, sorry, I see you are talking about SPB tours!

Hi Bluenoser2: Are you talking about Alla Tours for SPB? Thanks! I haven't looked into the whole visa thing as it seems there is some paperwork for me to complete beforehand.

Interesting to hear about the different weather experiences. We are used to up and down weather. Today in Denver it is supposed to be mid-70s, but by Friday it'll be rainy and cold at 40s. I've seen it snow in the sunshine!

I checked their site, it does look like a good deal. Thanks for the pointer!

No need to book at the same time you book the cruise.

When you do book EZAir you will have a choice of flexible or restricted fares.

With flexible, you can change reservations (or cancel them) or get any lower price you see up until 45 days before the first flight or when the cruise starts, whichever is earlier. With restricted, you will not be able to make any changes, just like if you book with most airlines directly.

Although you might expect that flexible fares are higher than the restricted, most of the time the opposite is true.

Thank you so much for the link showing Friends of Bill meetings! I feel better knowing they have them as I'll be so far away from home.

Here is a link to the Regal Princess patters from someone else on cc from a Baltic cruise they did last year. I believe it shows the Friends of Bill meeting information. Also the log of the cruise which shows weather daily, although a little later than you are going.

http://www.stonejongleux.com/

Hi, two part question, and thanks in advance! There is a sale and we want to book today, so quick responses definitely appreciated!

We are looking at the 5/22 (11 day) Baltic cruise on the Regal. We are in our mid-40s, no kids. We love travel, but have never been overseas, only Caribbean and Mexico. We live in Colorado and are used to having it snow one day, then 70s the next! I understand that N. Europe is NOT the Caribbean so am not expecting that but don't really want to cruise in a winter state where we have snow boots and puffy coats.

I've heard that some Baltic cruises cater to older folks, 55+. We have previously cruised on Carnival because they are affordable and have good itineraries in the Caribbean. We like activities, comedy, music, movies. This is a fairly port intensive itinerary so we won't be doing that stuff as much.

1. Is Regal/Princess for us?

2. Will end of May be decent weather, not freezing?

Thanks!!

P.S. - Total side note: Has anyone seen Friends of Bill meetings on the Regal? Thank you!!

I took the Baltic on the Regal last May (May 11th) leaving from Germany. I am 42 no kids went with my sister. It was a little chilly but not freezing. It did Rain in Russia. There were some older people and younger, really a mix. The thing i did like about it was there were very few kids. It is a very busy itinerary, the food was great. Staff very helpful. I guess the only thing i have to say i was a little put off by was when the boat docked in Denmark most people got off and back on and when I was trying to get something to eat they told me no because of the drill. It took me a good 10 mins to explain i got on in Germany then another staffer helped me out letting him know. I hope you have a great time.

Oops, sorry, I see you are talking about SPB tours!

I found that Alla tours were cheaper and I did not have to Pay up front. I had no problems at all with them. I used them for all the stops except Norway as they did not have a tour there.

I used Dancing Bear Tours and it was only $50 more pp for just 3 people vs joining a group of 16. They let me customize it as well by adding and removing things I wanted and didn't care to see. If you like art, please know that most tours don't show you the impressionists at the Hermitage as they have been relocated to another building across the square. You'll have to request this on a private tour. If you want an amazing view over all of SPB, climb the dome colonnade over St issacs cathedral. Again, a private tour will allow you to do this. Only locals are up there as bigger tours don't do this. ALLA, TJ, SPB are some of the bigger and most talked about tour companies. All great reviews for them however they have the highest rates because they have alot of referrals. There are dozens of similar tour companies out so do your research if you want a private tour for a great price. Getting a Russian visa is too much trouble so go with a tour and let them take care of it. They will ask for your passport info, etc.. so they can give it to officials and it'll be in the system. I hope Ez air works out for you.. it's slim pickings the closer you get to your dates. I just reached the 45 day cutoff yesterday to change our flights... I was hoping to move our departure date up 2 days but system had crappy flights and connections unlike last year when I orig booked our flights.

SPB and Alla are two different tour companies. We used SPB, but I've heard only good things about Alla as well. SPB was very clear what was needed from us and they made sure we did it right - I don't remember it being difficult at all. They looked after us very well.

And as to the weather? Tell me about it. We had a blizzard yesterday and today it's sunny and warm again. I'll be glad when Winter is done. I am SO over it.