Fishermans Wharf San Francisco

Action Dave

I would be interested in know what people have done while in San Francisco. considering going a couple days early to enjoy the city.. Fishermans Wharf Mariott hotel,

What have you enjoyed most in San Francisco. This will be the start of our October 2018 Panama Canal Cruise. :cool:

:cool:

There's a cool restaurant about two miles from your hotel called Waterbar with great views of the Bay Bridge. Also a restaurant called Marlowe's another mile past that that was amazing food.

Fort Point had the best views of the Golden Gate bridge.

We enjoyed Alcatraz much more than I thought we would. It was probably the highlight of our trip!

Alcatraz dusk or night tour

Walk across the Golden Gate

Chinatown

Walk or drive up Lombard Street

Jump on and off an cable car

These are a few of my favorite things

We did all of these while there; excellent.

Have lunch at the end of the pier.

Oh wow, I was going to recommend my favorite restaurant, but just saw that after 81 years in business, it's closed! Fisherman's Grotto. The food was just okay, but it was a real place where the fishermen all came at the end of their days and sat at the bar swapping stories. We loved hanging out there. Unlike the Fisherman's Wharf restaurants, this one (at least at the time we visited) wasn't a tourist trap.

Since I can't recommend that one anymore, I'd just recommend for dining that you steer as far away from Fisherman's Wharf as you can. Restaurants will be way overpriced for the quality, and packed with tourists. Ask around to find out where the locals go to eat, and then go there.

On the quirkier side, there is a game museum, Musee Mechanique, that is awesome. I'm sure I spelled it wrong and if I were less lazy I would look up the correct spelling, but my adult daughter and I spent about 1.5 hours there and I could have easily spent half a day there. Its on the wharf pier.

Have to go to Boudin Bakery for sour dough bread and Ghirdelli for a Sundae.

I did the hop on hop off trolley so I could see where I wanted to stop. Rode it a second time and got off at all the places I wanted to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were there on a cruise stop and our favorite thing were the jet boats. Seems like it was at least 30 mins long, took us under the Oakland Bay bridge and lots of fun. Easy to locate mid-wharf area. We found discount coupons when we googled jet boat rides, SF.

Alcatraz dusk or night tour

Walk across the Golden Gate

Chinatown

Walk or drive up Lombard Street

Jump on and off an cable car

These are a few of my favorite things

Those, but you can't drive up Lombard. One way street downhill.

Add in a tour on the USS. Hornet in Alameda, at the old Naval Air Station.

Go to the House of Prime Rib on Van Ness.

Cliff House for lunch.

Musee Mecanique, it's in the north western corner of Fishermans Wharf on Pier 45. A lot of old arcade games think pre-pong stuff.

Oh and sourdough from Boudin is a absolute must.

Alcatraz for sure was the highlight. Highly recommend. I believe its called the Ferry building and they have a food market that opens up (front and back of the building) there 1 or 2 days a week. Lots a sampling of California fruits and vegetable's. Never knew there were so many variety of peaches. There is a trolley ( I think free) that will take you from the cruise terminal down to the Ferry building. We took the ferry across to Sausalito, I don't think it was that expensive, nice place for lunch. Take a bus/walk tour of the city, can see most of the tourist things already noted in earlier posts but you also get a perspective of the city from someone that lives there.

I have to admit Chinatown was a disappointment for us. If you never been, maybe its worth it but it was no different than any other Chinatown imho. Good place for souvenirs though.

On a Princess cruise two years ago, our first stop was San Francisco. I highly recommend Dylan's Tours (mini bus with about 20 passengers). We toured all over the city, crossed the Golden Gate, drove thru Sausalito & went to Muir Woods which was beautiful. Since our ship was docked nearby, we also had dinner at Scoma's near Fisherman's Wharf. Nothing fancy, but the food was delicious--I still remember the garlic crab legs & homemade pasta. You'll love SF!

If you want a really good restaurant, I would recommend Scoma's. It is on pier 47 and has been around since 1965.

Another vote for Scoma's also the Coit Tower gives great views they have an elevator and its an easy trolly ride from FIsherman's Wharf

Here is a link to pics

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBD_enCA715CA715&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=coit+tower+pics&*

and a link to their website

https://www.coittowertours.com/

The Ferry Building is a really great place for lunch- lots of little shops and it's an easy ride or nice walk. If you are there for a few nights I would check out the Tonga Room. It is the tiki bar at the Fairmont Hotel. It's super cheesy but really fun. Yummy drinks and it rains inside!