Money....

mistory

:confused: K I have two questions.

1. What is the minimum amount of cash for a 4 day cruise to put down instead of a credit card.

2. I am trying to minimize the amt of money I'm taking with me. Meaning I want to carry some travelers checks, some cash and leave my debit and and credit cards home. I was going to add cash to a AAA debit card. But I called Carnival and the rep said she didn't think that I would be able to you that at the pursers (spelling?) desk to get cash. That they only will give cash off an AMEX card...Sooooo my question is has anyone done this before? Would rather not get charged and atm withdrawal fee. Or should I just take cash/travelers checks?

I would take a credit card with you to carry into port 'just in case' you need to book airfare out of there. That's always my theory. Hubby carries one, I carry the other, and we don't use them. They are only there in case we absolutely need them.

I use travelers checks...no problems!

I am too wary to use my debit card or any of my credit cards outside of the states. I know I run just as much risk here, but at least I can go to the Wal Mart that I had an issue with and throw a fit...

Stef

I give my debit for my s and s, but pay it off in travelers cheques before the end of the cruise. I called yesterday and they said the minimum cash deposit would be the tip amount per person. I am a TA and tell my clients at least $100.00 per person and they refund it at the end if you havent used it. I work for AAA and have bought those debit cards and had a VERY hard time getting places to accept them... just a FYI

I give my debit for my s and s, but pay it off in travelers cheques before the end of the cruise. I called yesterday and they said the minimum cash deposit would be the tip amount per person. I am a TA and tell my clients at least $100.00 per person and they refund it at the end if you havent used it. I work for AAA and have bought those debit cards and had a VERY hard time getting places to accept them... just a FYI

Wow, shungirl thanks so much for the hint. Was wondering if I use my debit card I have heard alot of stories about large holds and such that take days to drop off. But I had not thought of using the debit card and then paying it off in checks at the end. I just don't want a large hold on my card for weeks.

Just bring a credit card with you just in case....better safe than sorry if you would need some type of emergency transportation home!! You don't have to use it - just for security! You'd hate to be in a foreign country and need to get home with no way of doing it!!!

Archived