Missed Port Thread

Port: Nassau

Ship: Pride

Date: March 2011

Reason: high winds in Pt Canaveral (80 knots / 92 mph) snapped most of the mooring lines & had to drop anchor quickly. Spent the night while they fixed it. More detail & pics in my original post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1391392

Out of 8 cruises, not too bad. And this was an experience we still talk about to this day. Same cruise coming up in 29 days, hope I didn't jinx us.

Port: St Martin

Ship: Carnival Triumph

Date: Sept, 2004

Reason: Severe thunderstorms

Side note: While still in port at St Thomas, the captain made the decision to cancel St Martin and go to Nassau instead. It was a disappointment but better safe than sorry. This was back in Sept 2004. I have cruised Carnival ten more times after this without any missed ports. That is going to HMC, Roatan and Grand Cayman many times. I have made it to St Martin three times since Sept 2004. It is once of my favorite ports.

Port- Amber Cove & St Thomas

Ship- Splendor

March 2017

Engine issues

We were given substantial compensation for this cruise. It has worked out well for us. I am curious though- if ports are missed due to weather or other issues, are passengers compensated in other ways besides port fee refund & excursion refunds? We've been on 11 cruises & this was the 1st one missing any ports. We have had excursions canceled in Gr Cayman due to weather, but were allowed to tender over to shop or sight see.

Cozumel

Carnival Victory

March 2017

Spent day looking for overboard passenger

This was our first missed port out of 11 cruises. I wish it had been due to bad weather. Heartbreaking reason. Passenger was never found.

We have always cruised in March/April

We were given 20% off next cruise

Edited by KYWEST1
Add info

Port- Amber Cove & St Thomas

Ship- Splendor

March 2017

Engine issues

We were given substantial compensation for this cruise. It has worked out well for us. I am curious though- if ports are missed due to weather or other issues, are passengers compensated in other ways besides port fee refund & excursion refunds? We've been on 11 cruises & this was the 1st one missing any ports. We have had excursions canceled in Gr Cayman due to weather, but were allowed to tender over to shop or sight see.

We just started purchasing our cruise insurance policy through Nationwide. The luxury Plan has a provision for a missed port. We missed a port on DCL due to weather and we were compensated $250 each. The entire policy for both of us was like $220. Plus the limits are very high for medical etc. the claim process was about as easy as I would expect and was quick. Im not sure if the amount paid out is dependent on the cost of the cruise (as they ask for this in the claim paperwork) but I will keep buying this policy going forward.

4 Carnival cruises and we missed a port on 2 of them.

Sunshine... missed Grand Turk, huge disappointment. There was a medical emergency after we left Bahamas and we had to go back

Glory... missed Rotan due to high winds

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting as doesn't the port pilot get on and dock the ship and take it out not the captain?

Interesting as doesn't the port pilot get on and dock the ship and take it out not the captain?

Yes but that didn't cause us to miss the ports. It was a timing issue for Grand Turk and For Rotan even the port pilot couldn't dock us due to the winds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Starting a thread when you missed a port.

Port:

Ship:

Date:

Reason:

Grand Turk

Carnival Conquest

1/13/17

High Winds - tried to dock twice

We didn't really care because we were doing a B2B and did make it to Grand Turk the 2nd week.

That's the 1st port we've missed in 18 cruises with Carnival. We've had very good luck.

In 2016, I thought we were going to miss Grand Cayman for the first time, but the captain reversed the schedule and we went to Cozumel first & GC last.

Port: Roatan

Date: May 2009

Reason: Civil unrest on the island

Also that same cruise was when Carnival had suspended all ports in Mexico because of the swine flu outbreak so they substituted Key West for Cozumel.

Out of 9 cruises, 31 ports (some duplicates) we have missed 4. All because of weather.

Dream 1/2014 - missed Belize and Cozumel. Rained in Mahogany Bay and Costa Maya. We received a 25% off future cruising. Didn't expect that, it was a nice surprise. Carnival didn't have to do that. It was greatly appreciated! And of course we took advantage of it. :D

Conquest 8/2015 - Our itinerary changed by the minute. We missed St. Maarten and St. Kitts. They added Nassau. Stayed in San Juan over night. We were being chased by Tropical Storm Ericka. No discounts, compensation on this one. We weren't expecting one either.

Can't control Mother Nature. We still had a great time.

Happy cruising!!

Out of 9 cruises, 31 ports (some duplicates) we have missed 4. All because of weather.

Dream 1/2014 - missed Belize and Cozumel. Rained in Mahogany Bay and Costa Maya. We received a 25% off future cruising. Didn't expect that, it was a nice surprise. Carnival didn't have to do that. It was greatly appreciated! And of course we took advantage of it. :D

Conquest 8/2015 - Our itinerary changed by the minute. We missed St. Maarten and St. Kitts. They added Nassau. Stayed in San Juan over night. We were being chased by Tropical Storm Ericka. No discounts, compensation on this one. We weren't expecting one either.

Can't control Mother Nature. We still had a great time.

Happy cruising!!

Missed Cozumel? That's pretty rare I think!

The port pilot will come onboard, but the Captain (or, rarely, the second-in-command) actually handles the thruster controls under the advisement of the pilot.

Many ports do not have pilots. Grand Turk is one of them. After our almost-didn't-make-it visit to GT (due to high winds just under the threshold) I asked the captain about it during the BtF tour. He said that Grand Turk is "tricky, especially with wind and without the pilot."

It's also one of very few ports where ships will ALWAYS dock facing forward, and back out.

Cruise date: August 22, 2005

Ship: Sensation

No missed ports, but they switched the order of 2....due to hurricane Katrina

We were supposed to stay in NOLA for 2 days after the cruise but due to evacuations, had to rent a car and drive 14 hours to Nashville for a direct flight back to NY...my dad is really picky, we could have flown straight from NOLA with a layover in Houston but there were no available 3 seats next to each other on the plane. I was 16 at the time and my sister was 11