Crazy at 18 you can gamble but can't have an adjoining cabin with your grandmother

mnh

I cruise often with my GD ( 28 cruises for her so far) she just turned 18 and this will be her graduation from HS cruise. Normally we share a cabin but this time because she can no longer go in the teen club she is bringing a friend to "hang with". I was surprised to learn I could not book the cabin next door to me for her because she is not 21 and I am only the grandparent not a parent....however she can gamble on her own and I can book her with anyone who is 21 even if they aren't related in the same cabin. I always travel with a consent to travel form for both her and her sister.

I also cruise on Carnival....yes I do like Carnival too....and have booked her adjacent cabins before with Carnival. She knows how to behave and she knows the wrath of Gammie would visit her if she didn't!

I know nothing can be done about this...just needed to vent...we have 5 cabins booked so I think we can work around this....just inconvenient :evilsmile:

Royal allows minors to be in staterooms by themselves as long as they are next to or across the hall from the responsible adult. You cannot book this via the web, you must call to do this.

I called C/A to book (I am a D+ and my GD is a D).....she said nope couldn't do it....even checked with her supervisor.....I remember 4 years ago when my gd was 14 and took a friend we had this same problem and the cabins were connecting. At that time we didn't have other people traveling with us so I booked Carnival....Seems Royal has 5 different answers for the same question!

I called C/A to book (I am a D+ and my GD is a D).....she said nope couldn't do it....even checked with her supervisor.....I remember 4 years ago when my gd was 14 and took a friend we had this same problem and the cabins were connecting. At that time we didn't have other people traveling with us so I booked Carnival....Seems Royal has 5 different answers for the same question!

If it's a change in policy, it's very recent. I'd wait until tomorrow, call the regular number, and ask for Resolutions.

I remember reading about someone else having this problem while bringing their grandchild and a friend on a cruise. They never were able to book it.

I think the rules are different when they are not your children because I know for a fact it wouldn't be a problem if this were her child versus grandchild.

Just curious, does your granddaughter have the same last name as you? Maybe since she is 18 and you won't need consent from her parents you could pretend she is your daughter! (Assuming last name is the same! )

I remember reading about someone else having this problem while bringing their grandchild and a friend on a cruise. They never were able to book it.

I think the rules are different when they are not your children because I know for a fact it wouldn't be a problem if this were her child versus grandchild.

Just curious, does your granddaughter have the same last name as you? Maybe since she is 18 and you won't need consent from her parents you could pretend she is your daughter! (Assuming last name is the same! )

Sure that'll help, not telling truth. Leaving/coming back threw Customs...

I don't have another answer for the OP, and it's never impacted me, but I've never understood this policy and how it actually stands. Age discrimination against under 21 for drinking has been accepted (and probably upheld in court). Rental car companies do it as well (which I likewise don't understand; pricing them out of the market is one thing, but not renting is something different). In this case there's discrimination based on employment (if you're a member of the US or Canadian armed forces, the 21 age limit doesn't apply), marital status (married couples under 21 can book cabins together), and age.

I realize the ships aren't registered in the US, but the corporation is. They also don't apply this policy in Europe or Australia as I recall. Does anyone know if RCI has ever been challenged on this on the basis of discrimination (not suggesting the OP challenges them)? Just curious, and have always found the whole thing bizarre. (And even after 30 years in the Army, I never understood why I could hand an 18 year old an automatic weapon, but not a beer...)

I have booked my minor children in their own cabin with no problems. I would try again tomorrow.

I've done that too with no problems but that isn't what she is trying to do. She is trying to book her granddaughter and friend in a separate room. I don't get why it's such a big deal but obviously Royal knows something we don't!

This isn't the first person that I've seen report this same problem.

Wait a minute...the rule is that you can book your OWN children into their own room directly across from, or right next to, their parents' room. The ratio of YOUR children to those who aren't yours in the separate cannot exceed 1:1 (One child and one friend is OK but one child and two friends is not) Those that aren't yours include Grandchildren, niece/nephew, friend of your child, etc.