Voom usage

RRLLAL

Verizon has no plan that will give you an allowance of minutes, or text when on a cruise ship... As far as I'm told data service on cruise ships for version has been done away with as of the end of Jan 2017.

Sent Sms is 50 cents each recipient

Received Sms is 5 cent each

Mms (picture and video) messages require data.... So they may not work on the cruise ship system ( no data service)

Verizon messages+ can send sms and mms via wifi if a cellular connection is not available... Android only

Apple iMessage is an apple to Apple platform. It is usually on by default, when you send a message via iMessage the bubble will be blue, sms is green

You can send messages via wifi only theoretically, but you should never hedge your bets on a technology that has the ability to be blocked or outages.

Please if you are not wanting data and voice roaming charges... Turn your roaming off!!! Coming from a customer service person at a carrier (which my advise does not represent my employer). Roaming is a valid charge, you get a free text telling you the charges, and common sense would dictate that you are not covered outside your home country.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a heads up. Wife has an iPhone 6 and I a Droid Turbo. We have a family medical situation going on and when we were on Adventure a few weeks ago she could text with other iPhone users but she wasn't getting group texts even from other iPhone users. The kicker was I receiving them on my Droid no matter who they were from using Message+. Maybe someone else can explain it.

Group texts may require a cellular data connection if the sender does not use iMessage or some other internet based messaging app. However, they should come through if your phone is using WiFi calling.

Sorry for the intrusion, do these same steps work for an android phone, like a Samsung Note 5 with Verizon? Can I use Verizon's app, Messaging + to send texts? If not, what messaging app would you recommend? I'm not too tech savvy. Thank you for your help!

If you cannot enable WiFi calling on your phone, which would eliminate the need for any app, then I'd consider WhatsApp, Faceboook Messenger. Google Hangouts, etc.

I just did a test message using FB Messager and it works! Yay! I assume I can use the call feature on FB Messager too? A dumb question, I know.

Don't know for sure, but performance may not be what you would expect from land-based WiFi.

Help!

I have wifi calling and I have VOOM. But when I put the phone in airplane mode, it turns off wifi calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once in airplane mode, find your WiFi setting and just turn it back on to reconnect to the Zoom. This will leave your data off.

Dan.

Sorry for the intrusion, do these same steps work for an android phone, like a Samsung Note 5 with Verizon? Can I use Verizon's app, Messaging + to send texts? If not, what messaging app would you recommend? I'm not too tech savvy. Thank you for your help!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Yes you should be able to put your android in airplane mode and then once that mode takes effect, go in and turn on wifi. I tested it on my Samsung Galaxy s7

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a heads up. Wife has an iPhone 6 and I a Droid Turbo. We have a family medical situation going on and when we were on Adventure a few weeks ago she could text with other iPhone users but she wasn't getting group texts even from other iPhone users. The kicker was I receiving them on my Droid no matter who they were from using Message+. Maybe someone else can explain it.

You might want to check with them but I seem to recall that Verizon does not support WiFi Calling on the iPhone 6 but it does on the 6s and 7 models and SE. Do you have a 6 or 6s?

iPhone 6 has wifi calling, but it must be enabled.

For wi-fi to work the phone has be be logged into some network. Otherwise there is no way to send or receive messages, regardless of the app. What may be happening is someone has purchased access to Voom, and Verizon has a "mobile hotspot" feature that gives other Verizon users access that hotspot.

Hmmm... I put it on airplane mode and have it on my home wifi and the text didn't go through. The error message says turn off airplane mode or use wifi, which I'm doing. Weird. Time to call verizon.

When you put your phone on airplane mode, it turns off all radio signals including wi-fi. To use just wi-fi, put the phone in airplane mode and then turn wi-fi only back on.

You might want to check with them but I seem to recall that Verizon does not support WiFi Calling on the iPhone 6 but it does on the 6s and 7 models and SE. Do you have a 6 or 6s?

Wifi calling is available on the iphone 6 with Verizon. It is not available for iphone 5 though.