Eastbound or Westbound Transpacific 2018/2019?

I was wondering if anyone would share their thoughts on the pros and cons of sailing the Explorer Eastbound from Sydney or Westbound from Seattle. I'm looking at this itinerary and don't know which direction would be better. I can go either time of year. Just wondering if the time change or weather, or something else makes people go one way or the other. I've been to Seattle many times, but never been to Sydney and would like to spend a few days there separate from the cruise.

I was wondering if anyone would share their thoughts on the pros and cons of sailing the Explorer Eastbound from Sydney or Westbound from Seattle. I'm looking at this itinerary and don't know which direction would be better. I can go either time of year. Just wondering if the time change or weather, or something else makes people go one way or the other. I've been to Seattle many times, but never been to Sydney and would like to spend a few days there separate from the cruise.

Obviously, it's a long trip either way. I would lean toward flying west. If you want to spend a few days in Sydney, do it beforehand. That way you reduce jet lag when you get home (depending on where home is). I'm on the east coast so that scenario is preferable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have cruised from the Westcoast to Sydney twice, but that Eastbound to Seattle in 2018 is really calling to me. It is pretty rare that I can end up in my home town. This one also has a few ports I haven't been too.

Going westbound, you will lose an entire day and coming Eastbound, gain one, so that could be a factor.

Obviously, it's a long trip either way. I would lean toward flying west. If you want to spend a few days in Sydney, do it beforehand. That way you reduce jet lag when you get home (depending on where home is). I'm on the east coast so that scenario is preferable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is the reason why I would lean towards the other direction. If I wanted to enjoy time in Sydney I would rather arrive there without jet lag, ie after the cruise. Of course, we are retired. If we had to return to work immediately after the cruise my opinion might be different.

I am doing the westbound trip in October. While we will lose a day when crossing the international date line, there will be many nights where we gain an hour. I loved gaining an hour all those nights on the TransAtlantic we did from Barcelona to Florida last year. I agree that arriving in Sydney with no jet lag will be a much better way to visit.

You are going to have jet lag either when you arrive in Sydney, or when you arrive home. You'll need to decide which works better for you. Personally, I would perfer the jet lag once I arrived home.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I do see what you are saying about the jet lag in either direction. It's just something you have to deal with. Has anyone had problems with Typhoon season in the Fall making the trip really rocky or is that not an issue?

Did a 23 night westbound transpacific on Celebrity Century and a 24 night eastbound on the Explorer OTS.

Absolutely LOVED both of them and would have NO problem booking Explorer again... in either direction.

Time zone changes, international dateline cross-overs and jet lag mean nothing to me... but YMMV.