Anthem - Many Questions

I found some of the hotels you were talking about on the north side of the airport and will take a look at those.

There seem to be several places by the Mills at Jersey Gardens. Is that also a good option?

I can't seem to find the Springhill on the map. Is it right by those others?

Thank you for your patience with me. Is there a reason why you aren't a fan of the offsite locations? For half price, it seems worth it, but if it is a known problem, I'd rather avoid the frustration.

As far as the drive goes, I haven't driven to this area in 8 years, so I am clueless. AAA and Google maps are giving similar (yet different) options. I 80 across PA and then 287 to 24 to 78. I think this is the route we took in 2009, but we stayed all the way out in Parsippany at the Fairfield Inn, but I would like to stay closer in this time.

The other option is I-70 to I-76 to I-78 near Harrisburg PA, then in. I think I prefer the northern route to get to NJ. The PA and NJ turnpikes both have bad memories of major traffic jams from my past. ;), but I really don't know what they are like currently.

Since both routes put me on 78 by Springfield Twnship, I guess it doesn't matter how I get to that point

Thanks again. I'll go check out your other thread that the other Carol pointed me to for more general info on the area.

The Newark Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, and Springhill suites are together on the north side of the airport. Embassy Suites, Elizabeth Courtyard, and Residence Inn are by Jersey Gardens. Both options are fine and we recommend those two areas all the time.

For the parking please read this recent thread and follow the links. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2470670

We are staying at the Embassy Suites In Elizabeth and they have a stay, park, cruise deal. There are also two double bed options that perhaps would be completely covered by points or a combination of point/cash that would be the same as finding off port parking. Go to the Hilton site and search for the Embassy Suites Newark Airport or here is the link to the hotel: http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-jersey/embassy-suites-by-hilton-newark-airport-EWRELES/index.html

For those that stayed at Springhill, was there shuttle service to cape liberty and how much was it?

Springhill does not offer a Cape Liberty shuttle.

The hotels with Cape Liberty shuttles that we recommend are Country Inns and Embassy Suites and the trinityreservations.com package at the Ramada (park,sleep,cruise or just sleep,cruise)

Thanks again all.

We went with the Springhill on points and will park at the port. After reading about the offsite location, it isn't worth what we would save.

Most of the Hilton brand hotels (of which Embassy Suites is) had either point stays blocked for our dates or rooms with two beds and a couch were already gone.

NEW QUESTION

Now that room service is no longer an option and I have seen on the Compass that the buffet closes around 9 or 9:30, is there anywhere to go for a late night sweet snack? 11 pm pizza really doesn't sound as good as cheesecake or cookies.

Is there a soft serve machine somewhere? If so, where, what hours, included in cruise price?

NEW QUESTION

Now that room service is no longer an option and I have seen on the Compass that the buffet closes around 9 or 9:30, is there anywhere to go for a late night sweet snack? 11 pm pizza really doesn't sound as good as cheesecake or cookies.

Is there a soft serve machine somewhere? If so, where, what hours, included in cruise price?

Sounds like you have a plan.

Even though I've sailed on Anthem, I can't speak to the late night food offerings. To cover yourselves I would plan on popping in the WJ after dinner and grabbing a supply of cookies and whatever else you might like for a later snack. Over the years I've learned to grab whatever appeals whenever I see it because it probably will disappear.

Springhill does not offer a Cape Liberty shuttle.

The hotels with Cape Liberty shuttles that we recommend are Country Inns and Embassy Suites and the trinityreservations.com package at the Ramada (park,sleep,cruise or just sleep,cruise)

Thanks.

We booked with them assuming they offered shuttle service and we just had to check in to make arrangements and pay the extra amount :o Now rethinking whether or not to cancel

Thanks.

We booked with them assuming they offered shuttle service and we just had to check in to make arrangements and pay the extra amount :o Now rethinking whether or not to cancel

What is your exact date? Are you flying in? It will cost you $55-65 for a car service to the port and $20/pp for a shuttle back to the airport.

What is your hotel budget? What time does your flight arrive (dinner considerations)? How many people and bed configuration?

Spring Hill Suites offers free breakfast but has no restaurant. You have to walk to the Courtyard or idea takeout delivery.

What is your exact date? Are you flying in? It will cost you $55-65 for a car service to the port and $20/pp for a shuttle back to the airport.

What is your hotel budget? What time does your flight arrive (dinner considerations)? How many people and bed configuration?

Spring Hill Suites offers free breakfast but has no restaurant. You have to walk to the Courtyard or idea takeout delivery.

We are a group of 5. We are flying two days before our cruise. We havent booked our first night yet, but booked our second night (16th) at Springhill. We want to spend the first night closer to NY. Now it seems all complicated to move around :o I only booked Springhill thinking that you can make arrangements with the hotel for the cruise shuttle. It takes the headache out of making your own arrangements. We paid a really good rate for the room, about 100cad.

Anyone interested in picking up my reservation? :halo:

Thanks.

Lisa, I thought I saw that some of the Marriott hotels in the area had a cruise package. I'd call the local number to see about the shuttle before you cancel.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

We are a group of 5. We are flying two days before our cruise. We havent booked our first night yet, but booked our second night (16th) at Springhill. We want to spend the first night closer to NY. Now it seems all complicated to move around :o I only booked Springhill thinking that you can make arrangements with the hotel for the cruise shuttle. It takes the headache out of making your own arrangements. We paid a really good rate for the room, about 100cad.

Anyone interested in picking up my reservation? :halo:

Did you pay for your reservation? What are your exact dates? Rooms for 5 are hard to come by. Getting closer to NYC will be expensive, both for the hotel room and all the extra transportation.

Could your group use accessible public transit at all?

I'm not aware of any Marriott properties that offer a cruise shuttle. These folks might be able to help you out -

For a more budget no frills service contact Independent driver - 888-816-0973

inde.drvr@gmail.com 4-6 weeks ahead.

Did you pay for your reservation? What are your exact dates? Rooms for 5 are hard to come by. Getting closer to NYC will be expensive, both for the hotel room and all the extra transportation.

Could your group use accessible public transit at all?

Yup I paid in full lol. I saw how good the rates were and thought what the heck. What a big mistake :')

NYC would only cost a bit more for us because it cost 25 round trip per person from Springhill, thats already 125 per day. Plus the convenience of being in the city would cut the travel time too.

Thank you for the number, I'll try giving them a call. Appreciate it!

Edited by Lisa8

Yup I paid in full lol. I saw how good the rates were and thought what the heck. What a big mistake :')

NYC would only cost a bit more for us because it cost 25 round trip per person from Springhill, thats already 125 per day. Plus the convenience of being in the city would cut the travel time too.

Thank for you for the numbers, I'll try giving them a call. Appreciate it!

All is not lost. Here's my next suggestion. Book a second night at Springhill. Ask Independent driver what they would charge to take your party of 5 from Springhill to Newark Penn Station or vice versa.

What exactly do you want to do in NYC? Train is $5.25/pp but PATH is only $2.75/pp. There are lots of mix and match options when you look at the total network of train, PATH, and NY subway.

All is not lost. Here's my next suggestion. Book a second night at Springhill. Ask Independent driver what they would charge to take your party of 5 from Springhill to Newark Penn Station or vice versa.

What exactly do you want to do in NYC? Train is $5.25/pp but PATH is only $2.75/pp. There are lots of mix and match options when you look at the total network of train, PATH, and NY subway.

We want to hit all the tourist locations in NY. We bought a 2 day pass on the hip on hop off bus so our transportation downtown should be covered.

If we are doing Springhill that means we would take a shuttle to the airport then take the train to NY Penn station, thats 12.50 per person - so 25 round trip. It just seems more convenient to pay a couple hundred more and stay downtown.

We want to hit all the tourist locations in NY. We bought a 2 day pass on the hip on hop off bus so our transportation downtown should be covered.

If we are doing Springhill that means we would take a shuttle to the airport then take the train to NY Penn station, thats 12.50 per person - so 25 round trip. It just seems more convenient to pay a couple hundred more and stay downtown.

Please give me your exact dates. This is important. There are other options that could work for you. Hotel rooms for 5 are a big issue everywhere in the NY metro area.

Can you do 2 queens and a rollaway?
lol sure why not?

Also, can you do accessible public transit to get to Cape Liberty? This will save you money if you can roll your luggage.

That I'm not so sure. Depends on how difficult the route is. Sometimes the savings is not worth all the trouble.

Thank you for even taking the time to offer suggestions. So kind of you!

NEW QUESTION

We just got off last Sunday and my kids ordered several free items on room service menu. Certain items were 4.95 but lots of free options. Don't know about breakfast as we did not order any. This room service charge must have just started this week.

As for something sweet late evening, Café Promenade is Open and does have sweets. Sorentos also but as you said, Pizza is not for everybody just before bedtime.

The soft serve Ice cream is hard to find. It is on the pool deck, starboard side, just forward of the main pool hot tub area sort of underneath the stairs leading up to the North Star bar. I did not see any logical schedule to it being opened. I just remember, that every now and then, of of the girls in our group would come up running to the rest of the girls to let them know it was open, and they would all take off running to the machine. This happened probably at least once a day ;-)

dp

lol sure why not?

That I'm not so sure. Depends on how difficult the route is. Sometimes the savings is not worth all the trouble.

Thank you for even taking the time to offer suggestions. So kind of you!

Sorry for the endless questions, but are any of your party children? If so, what are their ages?

I am looking at Marriott and Hilton properties. Are you or would you be willing to join Marriott or Hilton rewards prigrams to get a lower rate and wifi?