Haven vs. Oceania

UPNYGuy

I don't live on Cruise Critic, and rarely read all the comments that come my way. But thank you for taking the time to criticize me. My wife and I have also looked into Crystal and Seabourn, and usually sail in The Haven when on NCL (and have 2 Yacht Club bookings currently on MSC), so it isn't a matter of having to book the most exquisite cabin, but rather wanting better atmosphere. I think (hope) that Oceania will give us that. I might be incorrect, but I won't know until we try.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you and your family will fit right in with the Oceania crowd!

So you think the more expensive the cruise the people will have more class?! Sorry to tell you but money doesn't buy class! :rolleyes:

Oh that definitely is not true at all! You should have seen some of the folks staying in the Haven with us over new year's. Granted, there weren't many, but there were definitely some that needed charm school!!

I find those with the most class are people who treat the laborers the same way they treat the CEO.

No judgement about appearances at all. And I wasn't judging the employment choice that this woman made. My apologies if that was how it sounded. She openly was telling my mother about how she sold adult products. My mother did not know the term passion party, and was offended that I had to explain it to her, as was I. My mother asked her to explain more due to the fact that she didn't know what a passion party was, and was told about the "product lineup" in politically correct terminology. She proceeded to turn to my wife and I and ask what it meant. So yes, it was inappropriate.

I would have been offended as well. I do agree with you that it was inappropriate. Until I read more of your posts on this subject, I had no idea what a passion party was, and I am not old.

No. The passion party lady was publicly speaking about this out in the open with no prompting, and my mother didn't know what it meant. She curiously asked some questions, and I ended up explaining what a passion party was to my mother. THAT was the issue. Not that it was a horrible conversation she endured, but that I felt it inappropriate that someone would have a conversation like that out in the open, without prompting. And it made for a very awkward conversation with my mother as she turned to me and asked what it meant. I almost had the woman explain it, but the wife and I took care of it.

My mother and I weren't the only ones that were bewildered that she was talking about this openly and without prompting.

You can think I'm snobbish for not wanting to hear stuff like this, but I don't.

Maybe you just had to be there... but at the end of the day she was speaking about her job; which is pretty normal chitchat. If she has been a school teacher and going on about her class and her students, you wouldn't have thought anything of it...

now, if she carried her products around and was trying to make sales at the dinner table... that's a little different [emoji6]

This thread is something.

I agree that you find all kinds in all places. And that one might assume that the ability to pay for one line as opposed to another might translate into behavior. It might. It also might not. Has been that way since the dawn of time.

One thing I admire about my mom and remember about my dad is how well they relate(d) to everyone genuinely.

I would have been offended as well. I do agree with you that it was inappropriate. Until I read more of your posts on this subject, I had no idea what a passion party was, and I am not old.

Basically the woman was telling all who would listen her life story, about how she was divorced, retired, yadda yadda, and how she sells products via passion parties. Mind you this was outside the Spinnikaker Lounge and into the elevator. The passion party thing happened in the elevator. So it was very weird. It almost seemed like she did it for the attention.

The money isn't really relevant - the limited exposure to society is. If you were raised by nannies and boarding schools I could somewhat understand the attitude.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

And no, I was not raised in a boarding school with nannies. My mother is more conservative when it comes to terms like that. And I feel that just because I know what something means, I shouldn't have to explain it to her...especially in public.

Basically the woman was telling all who would listen her life story, about how she was divorced, retired, yadda yadda, and how she sells products via passion parties. Mind you this was outside the Spinnikaker Lounge and into the elevator. The passion party thing happened in the elevator. So it was very weird. It almost seemed like she did it for the attention.

I think if you want to guarantee that you'll only be around "acceptable" people, you can always charter a private vessel and get exactly the experience you want.

While on the Sun we wanted to have dinner by the window. They had a large table and asked us if we'd share.

They seated us with a nicely dressed middle-aged couple. He was foreign and she was American. My mom asked how they met.

The wife blurted out a very sexual answer and once we all picked our jaws up off the table we proceeded to have dinner. But I have never forgotten how a total stranger was so graphic!!! And I have never guessed that would've come out of her mouth.

You just never know!