Would You Book a Cabin Under the Bridge?

Luvsnorkeling

That pic of RTDM VI was taken a while ago. She still has her original and multiple spa/gym windows. That area looks completely different now after the spa/gym extensions on all "S" and "R"-class vessels. Thanks for posting it; don't get to see that much anymore

You're welcome. Montreal, June 2003, as we were heading for the terminal to board. Will be aboard her this Fall for the first time since, so we'll get to see for ourselves what a difference fourteen and a half years makes.

You're welcome. Montreal, June 2003, as we were heading for the terminal to board. Will be aboard her this Fall for the first time since, so we'll get to see for ourselves what a difference fourteen and a half years makes.

Have a great cruise on her this Fall!

This is what she looks like on that same deck, Deck 8, now after her Spa/Gym extension in March/April 2005. At the time of your pic, one was able to walk from port to starboard side in front of the Gym. After the extension, that's no longer possible

rotterdam.jpg

Having just returned from a seven day cruise on Liberty of the Seas and staying in a cabin under the bridge I can say that noise and activity from the bridge is no issue. My concern about that location is the amplified motion you feel there and the long distance from the cabin to the restaurants and recreational areas normally at the rear of ships. I would study the deck layout carefully before buying a cabin at any extreme location on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm curious, what do people think happens on the bridge that there would be noise?

Skylarking? Hijinks? General hilarity? Toga party? Those bridge officers are a rowdy bunch in the wee hours of the night! :rolleyes:

Have a great cruise on her this Fall!

This is what she looks like on that same deck, Deck 8, now after her Spa/Gym extension in March/April 2005. At the time of your pic, one was able to walk from port to starboard side in front of the Gym. After the extension, that's no longer possible

rotterdam.jpg

Such a beautiful ship. In adition To otther cruises, we sailed on her for MillenIUM NEW yEARS. . IT WAS AMAZING. !!!! :d

Skylarking? Hijinks? General hilarity? Toga party? Those bridge officers are a rowdy bunch in the wee hours of the night! :rolleyes:

That's what I thought, kind of the same stuff we did on mid shifts when I was an air traffic controller. [emoji41]

OK, OK...I was thinking machines making noise, doors slamming as officers went in and out, talking, incoming or outgoing messages, sonar blips, etc. 1,000 comedians out of a job... :-)

Good questions: there are no noisy machines, nor slamming doors on the bridge, the bridge of a HAL ship, to be more precise. The "double doors" through which one enters/exits the bridge come equipped with an automatic door stopper which controls the speed and subsequently, the amount of noise, it makes when closing, which is nihil. Incoming/outgoing messages don't make noise and depth-sounding sonar systems are not loud unless the ship is actively involved in attempting to locate an enemy submarine...............stupid joke, sorry.The bridge is generally a very quiet working environment with noiseless instrumentation.

There are certain items that can "raise" the level of quietness such as; the crackling of incoming maritime radio transmissions, which are controlled by a volume knob; the audible activation alert(s) of a fire/smoke alarm from somewhere on the ship, on the central alarm panel (located on the bridge); and the repeating, by the helmsman, of spoken orders from the master, the officer who has the conn, and/or the pilot (or the fact that the pilot takes over the "conn" which is audibly repeated by multiple bridge officers, i.e. "pilot has the conn").

All the above examples involve a controlled audible level that will not disrupt the peace and quietness of a passenger living below the bridge

Edited by Copper10-8

Further to John's comments, and he can probably help me out here if I'm wrong, but the OP said an inside cabin, so that may not even be under the bridge itself, but under the deck officers' cabins aft of the bridge. Those guys/gals, working round the clock watches are some of the quietest cabins you'll find.

Further to John's comments, and he can probably help me out here if I'm wrong, but the OP said an inside cabin, so that may not even be under the bridge itself, but under the deck officers' cabins aft of the bridge. Those guys/gals, working round the clock watches are some of the quietest cabins you'll find.

Pretty much, yeah Cheng; The exceptions are the four "R" ships plus K-dam, which have cabins, incl. some insides, directly under the bridge.

On the other classes, pax cabins either abut the bridge one deck below, and/or are situated under officer and/or pilot cabins, and/or the staff captain's office, and/or the deck office, and/or a small pantry, a uni-sex head, and/or a small officer launderette (one washer; one dryer)

One item to add; on HAL, besides the captain, staff captain and certain bridge officers, the HD and chief engineer also have their cabins behind the bridge

Pretty similar to NCL, if you add the Staff Chief up there as well.

The Staff Chief's gotta sleep somewhere......;)

When you have a sec, can you send me a quick email to my g-mail addr below? I have a question for you, Tanks!