1st timer Rhine River Cruise-when to book cruise on Viking?

Judy1985

Hello

My husband and I are planning on booking a cruise on the Viking River Cruise on the Rhine River. We are considering July 2018, as this is a financially a bit of stretch I would like to book when rates are at the lowest. The seem to have increased since Jan. 2017. Thank you for the help.

Have you considered other times of the year? Shoulder season is often less expensive (March/April/October.) Also, have you priced the different cruise lines? There may be others with better prices/perks.

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Judy,

You should plan to book your Rhine cruise as soon as possible. It's a very popular itinerary and it seems to sell out many months in advance. For example, we booked our upcoming April Rhine Getaway last June, and it was nearly sold out then.

Pricing stays fairly consistent for the actual cruise fare ("2 for 1" is the norm) but you can save some money by looking for the deals on Viking air. When we booked last year, we were able to take advantage of a $100 RT per person deal.

Be advised that it's the norm with Viking to have your final payment due many months out. Depending when you book, it could be up to a year out.

This will be our third Viking cruise, and if the last two were any indication, we're looking forward to a wonderful trip :D

Feel free to ask any questions that you might have!

Jeff

Hello Judy1985,

if you have not fixed your decision on sailing with Viking yet, you could have a look at other lines. As has been mentioned by acwmom it could be financially of benefit for you. I highly recommend the stickies on the top of the page. For Viking booking as soon as possible is probably a good idea if you are restricted to two or three weeks in the year, but bear in mind that they ask for the full payment far earlier than other cruise lines from what past cruisers have reported. However, I remember one CC member having been able to negotiate the date for final payment to somewhere closer to the actual sailing date.

notamermaid