re: Evening Chic- question from dh

Jetswdo

Off on our first Celebrity sailing in 56 days and since our last 'Evening Chic' has been implemented. I don't understand the terminology 'Country Club Casual' or what a 'golf shirt' is (don't play golf!).

Can anyone enlighten me?

Country club casual has nothing to do with Celebrity cruise line. It is Smart casual or Evening Chic. As far as shirts in the evening what they have always wanted is a shirt with a collar and sleeves, short or long. Golf shirt on Celebrity is fine and don't let anyone tell the woman they can't wear Capris. The beauty of the dress code is you can wear a shirt and pants up to a Tux. Your choice.

It is unfortunate that over the years, we seem to have lost the desire to "dress up" for just about everything and instead want to opt for the "minimal" a person can get by with. Remember when you dressed nicely to fly? No more. Sad testament of our society actually. Probably why the "chic night" style of dress was created to replace the "formal night" style. Soon, "chic night" will be gone and we can just show up in our jammies......

We will be "dressing up" on our cruise in August, and I hope we aren't the only ones. No long gown or tux, but "cocktail" attire for sure.

There's still a place in this world for people with a sense of style. Should I bump into you on one of these cruises, I'd be delighted to buy you a drink.

A "golf" shirt or "polo" shirt refers to a generally short sleeved cotton knit shirt with a collar and three buttons at the throat. Such a shirt is acceptable attire on its own or under a sports coat.

e522652effe153aedcd40b1b2a2c41e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't think Golf shirts and Polo shirts are the same thing. These days I find them marketed separately.

Modern golf shirts tend to be Polyester to aid sweat removal - Bigger arm holes, stretchy, much longer - all to aid the golf swing and help make you more comfortable whilst playing golf.

Both my Nike and Ralph Lauren Golf shirts are completely different to the traditional Polo shirts

Polo shirts usually a bit more tailored and more likely to be cotton. In recent years Golf shirts also seem to have gone all out with bright colour palette and branding

Edited by DYKWIA

Pretty simple not to take a dinner suit and bow tie. Last three Celebrity cruises I didn't take a suit or tie and I won't ever again on Celebrity!

I never considered a Bow Tie - as formal unless won with a Tux - otherwise a bow tie with a suit spells "college professor"

A 'tux' is US slang for a dinner jacket , actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tux is slang for Tuxedo. Tuxedo is American English and Dinner Jacket is British English for a semi formal evening suit. The OP didn't know that the dinner suit worn with a bow tie that was referenced was formal wear because of language differences.

Edited by Charles4515

Tux is slang for Tuxedo. Tuxedo is American English and Dinner Jacket is British English for a semi formal evening suit. The OP didn't know that the dinner suit worn with a bow tie that was referenced was formal wear because of language differences.

the english language is the english language belonging to the Country of England. There is no 'British English'.

It would be like saying american floridian

Try looking at history - the current dinner jacket was a fashion started by the then Prince if Wales .....

Seriously [emoji848].

the english language is the english language belonging to the Country of England. There is no 'British English'.

It would be like saying american floridian

Try looking at history - the current dinner jacket was a fashion started by the then Prince if Wales .....

Seriously [emoji848].

I know the history. I am not going to argue with your insular attitude. In the United States that fashion is called a tuxedo. You can argue it all you want. I don't care how many angels can dance on a pin. Hopefully the OP will read this and learn that a dinner jacket is formal wear and that a bow tie is worn with it.

donstroudUK...we will be on the same cruise and my husband is bringing his tux, so you won't be alone! On our last cruise on Eclipse we didn't dress up for chic night and found we missed it.

This time we are doing our first B2B2B, and will juggle luggage to get the formal stuff in. At least with three cruises we will actually get more use from them!

I love seeing all the men looking wonderful in their tuxes!

We're on the Norwegian fjord cruise too - you mention that your husband is taking his tux, what about you? Full length dress or cocktail dress? I would love to wear one of my full length dresses but don't want to look out of place/over the top!

Have to add even on the casual nights, i like to wear a nice dress and heels-it's part of my holiday clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Good question about dress shorts. We are cruising to Bermuda where the traditional male fashion is shorts, with long socks, tie shoes or loafers, jackets and dress/polo shirts. My husband and at least one other male traveler on our group are planning on wearing this traditional dress at dinner. Wonder how it will be received....

We're on the Norwegian fjord cruise too - you mention that your husband is taking his tux, what about you? Full length dress or cocktail dress? I would love to wear one of my full length dresses but don't want to look out of place/over the top!

Have to add even on the casual nights, i like to wear a nice dress and heels-it's part of my holiday clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

I'm bringing one full length red dress, two cocktail dresses and one cocktail pants outfit. I plan to wear my really tall heels with the red dress...all just for my husband. 😍. I dithered a little on the long one, but decided I really don't care if I'm the only one on the whole ship in a long gown. When I was younger I cared, but not now. Lord knows, at my current age of 65 if I can't dress to please myself and my husband....we are gratefully celebrating our 40th year of marriage, both of our retirements...so it's all about us on these 3 cruises!

So, truly, wear what you like, what makes you happy, what makes you feel good. I personally LOVE to see people dress up. But if they don't that's ok with me. What other people wear on their cruise doesn't affect me at all. I just don't care. It's their cruise and they can wear what they want. If the whole ship was in jeans on chic night I'd still wear my red dress for my husband.

No clue which night I'll wear the red...not sure which night is MORE dressy, if there is such a thing....so if you wear your long gown we might not hit it on the same night, but on the whole cruise you won't be the only one!

I also like to wear heels on the regular nights, so you won't be alone in that, either! If you see me in my red dress, come say hi! My name is Joanie. 😊

Good question about dress shorts. We are cruising to Bermuda where the traditional male fashion is shorts, with long socks, tie shoes or loafers, jackets and dress/polo shirts. My husband and at least one other male traveler on our group are planning on wearing this traditional dress at dinner. Wonder how it will be received....

Shorts (Bermuda or otherwise) are not allowed in the evenings per the dress code. I suppose if your husband likes to be needlessly antagonistic, then it's ok. He should take some long pants to put on if he's turned away at the door.

Evening Chic seems to be causing more confusion and upset rather than making things simpler!

Not really. Most of the people onboard don't try to parse the language in such a way as to get away with ignoring the rules. I think most people actually look more stylish with wearing "nice" clothes versus the ill-fitting tuxes and dated gowns of yesteryear.

No clue which night I'll wear the red...not sure which night is MORE dressy, if there is such a thing....so if you wear your long gown we might not hit it on the same night, but on the whole cruise you won't be the only one!I also like to wear heels on the regular nights, so you won't be alone in that, either! If you see me in my red dress, come say hi! My name is Joanie.

That's lovely to hear - looks like I'll be the other person in a long red dress then! I'll look out for you :D

Edited by mw1

Been on 13 or 14 cruises to Bermuda, 7 of them on Celebrity and never saw anyone wearing traditional Bermuda shorts at dinner on those cruises. I would guess it would not be recieved well. Except for the first night of the cruise they have been turning away passengers at the door wearing shorts to dinner in the MDR on Celebrity.

They also turn passengers away from the Elite social hour and the Elegant Tea. Seen that.

Shorts are NOT permitted in the MDR during dinner. It doesn't matter how nice they may be to you. You might sneak in, but if you get caught, the embarrassment will be on you!

Thanks everyone about the shorts rules. Guess I was just hoping there might be some leniency on a Bermuda cruise, especially when worn in traditional Bermudian fashion. Oh well, I'll just make sure they wear their shorts when walking around Bermuda.