Crystal Caves

Bermuda Aquarium Museum and Zoo

Fort Hamilton

Botanical Gardens

Bermuda Maritime Museum

Railway Trail for hiking or biking

Scaur Hill Fort

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

There is a Historical Reenactment and Walking Tour at the Royal Naval Dockyard at 9:30 am

Take the Ferry over to St. Georges there is also a reenactment there at Noon time.

Looking at the Celebrity Summit for a 7 day cruise to bermuda over Memorial Day. Not a beach person. Is there a fair amount to see on Bermuda without going to the beach every day? Very into history and old homes, museums, etc.

We loved the Summit. Be aware that the aft cabins have huge balconies.

Although the beaches are beautiful in Bermuda, in May the water temp is still on the chilly side (my opinion)

We sailed there twice in early June and I found the ocean just a tad to cold for me, but last year we went in August and you couldn't get me out of the water!

You will definitely not be bored in Bermuda, as there is plenty to see and do besides the beach.

Hire a taxi guide one day and have him show you his wonderful little island, they are well versed in all facets and facts of Bermuda, there's so much history!

St George, lovely churches, the main hub of Hamilton, the Crystal Caves, horseback riding, boating activities and if you golf, you'll be in heaven.

On Wednesday nights there is a festival of sorts in Hamilton where people shop, eat, listen to music and enjoy the culture of Bermuda.

I don't think you'd be disappointed if you decide to visit.

This July we will be going there for our 6th time!

Agree with PP that Bermuda in May will not be beach weather. Have been 3 times. For going in the water July-September is best. My favorite day is taking the bus to Gibbs lighthouse (climbing to the top), visiting church bay and taking the bus to the swizzle in and eating the great food and the peanut butter pie...and of course a pitcher or two of rum swizzle and then stagger back to bus. : )

The cruise lines do not recommend renting a scooter - too many accidents. If you are from the US, you are used to driving on a certain side of the road; in Bermuda they drive on the other side - so your instincts will be affected. You can purchase a bus/ferry pass and see all over the island - or take a cab or Celebrity excursion. It is a pretty and clean island - including seeing the beautiful pink sand beaches and rock formations- without ever going into the water. If you enjoy cruising and you can reach the port without flying, then Bermuda is a nice vacation spot for relaxation and a change of scenery. The museums and other attractions (caves, perfume factory) are fair - if that's your focus, then Bermuda might not be for you. My husband says that if those places were in the US, we wouldn't be inclined to visit them. The shopping is also limited and expensive. We have cruised to Bermuda and had a nice week, but it depends on your expectations. We view it as a easy cruise from NJ (we live there) to get away for a week.

We are also very interested in history, old houses, museums, etc. In addition to the museum and buildings in the Dockyard, these are two sites we enjoyed visiting:

Verdmont, on Sayle Road, at the top of Collector's Hill, Smith's Parish, was originally built in 1693 and remains architecturally unchanges since the late 1700s. The house is now a museum and still has many of the original family's furnishings, paintings, porcelain, silver, children's furniture and toys.

Mitchell House, 3 Featherbed Alley, St. Georges. Built in 1725, the house is now the home of the St. George's Historical Society and Museum.

This site http://www.bermuda-online.org/historichouses.htm is a good guide to historic homes and properties. We arranged a tour with a private guide who took us to the sites mentioned above and other areas of Bermuda we had never seen on previous visits.

The cruise lines do not recommend renting a scooter - too many accidents. If you are from the US, you are used to driving on a certain side of the road; in Bermuda they drive on the other side - so your instincts will be affected. You can purchase a bus/ferry pass and see all over the island - or take a cab or Celebrity excursion. It is a pretty and clean island - including seeing the beautiful pink sand beaches and rock formations- without ever going into the water. If you enjoy cruising and you can reach the port without flying, then Bermuda is a nice vacation spot for relaxation and a change of scenery. The museums and other attractions (caves, perfume factory) are fair - if that's your focus, then Bermuda might not be for you. My husband says that if those places were in the US, we wouldn't be inclined to visit them. The shopping is also limited and expensive. We have cruised to Bermuda and had a nice week, but it depends on your expectations. We view it as a easy cruise from NJ (we live there) to get away for a week.

Totally agree! Scooters are an accident waiting to happen and in my 5 visits to Bermuda I have seen many cruise ship passengers return on board with a variety of broken bones, road burn, and on one occasion a death of a passenger on another ship in port.

Bermuda is not an easy place to navigate with its curves and skinny roadways, plus the fact that you drive on the opposite side of the road.

What makes it even worse is that taxi and bus drivers have no patience for people on scooters and will ride right up on the back of people which in turn makes many inexperienced drivers very nervous, causing problems for others on the roads.

Last year our tour guide actually showed us the new hospital that was recently built and said that they have a particular area of the emergency room nicknamed for tourist who rent scooters and wind up injured.

Bermuda has a wonderful transportation system that will get you anywhere you want to go at a minimal cost.

Looking at the Celebrity Summit for a 7 day cruise to bermuda over Memorial Day. Not a beach person. Is there a fair amount to see on Bermuda without going to the beach every day? Very into history and old homes, museums, etc.

America's Cup will be going on then. There will be qualifying races the week of memorial day. Also the Tall Ships will be in Bermuda that week.

On Wednesday night they have Harbor nights in Hamilton, like a big fair with food and island music.

The week of memorial day the Harbour Nights festival will be on Thursday June 1 instead of Wednesday. That is when the Tall Ships arrive in Hamilton so they moved May 31 to June 1.

Although the beaches are beautiful in Bermuda, in May the water temp is still on the chilly side (my opinion)

I'm booked for the cruise you're talking about OP...and I plan on getting in the water ;p hopefully it won't be too bad!

We were on the Summit late May last year to Bermuda. The water is chilly! But if you aren't a beach person, then that may not be an issue. I was just fine getting in, and i don't really love the cold water. This was only on a wave running tour. Never actually got to the beach! But you get acclimated quickly. Had a great time, and cannot wait to go back to Bermuda.

I would highly recommend a wave runner tour around the island. Had an absolute blast. Go with Somerset Bridge Watersports. Book online before getting on the ship. They will pay for your cab ride to their facility, for those who take wave runner tours. Ask to tour with Harry. He was fantastic, and it was a great time. They also rent boats. There were a lot of people doing this as well. Loved Bermuda! I could go on for days, about how much we enjoyed Bermuda.

I'm booked for the cruise you're talking about OP...and I plan on getting in the water ;p hopefully it won't be too bad!

That week the water temperature is on the cusp. Also there are different tolerances to water temperature. Some will be able to acclimate and others not. Bermuda Day which is May 24 is the date Bermudians consider the start of beach season.

The week of memorial day the Harbour Nights festival will be on Thursday June 1 instead of Wednesday. That is when the Tall Ships arrive in Hamilton so they moved May 31 to June 1.

Yes, this is an unusual year because the America's Cup yacht race is held in Bermuda, it will be crowded but probably have lots to do. I believe the Summit will be docked near the finish line.

Totally agree! Scooters are an accident waiting to happen and in my 5 visits to Bermuda I have seen many cruise ship passengers return on board with a variety of broken bones, road burn, and on one occasion a death of a passenger on another ship in port.

Bermuda is not an easy place to navigate with its curves and skinny roadways, plus the fact that you drive on the opposite side of the road.

What makes it even worse is that taxi and bus drivers have no patience for people on scooters and will ride right up on the back of people which in turn makes many inexperienced drivers very nervous, causing problems for others on the roads.

Last year our tour guide actually showed us the new hospital that was recently built and said that they have a particular area of the emergency room nicknamed for tourist who rent scooters and wind up injured.

Bermuda has a wonderful transportation system that will get you anywhere you want to go at a minimal cost.

Been to Bermuda several time, have never yet been there without seeing someone on board who was in some type of mishap with the scooters.

Totally disagree about May not being a good beach weather month. We went mid-May last year and although we had rain for a day and a half while there, the other day and a half was hot, sunny and the ocean temperature was wonderful! (I'm comparing it to So. Cal. water temps which hover around 62 degrees on a good day in the middle of summer.). The water felt so warm and inviting but I admit there weren't many others in the ocean with me. Totally depends on what you're used to IMO.

There is so much to do in Bermuda without going to the beaches though. I think you'll be surprised at how much you missed at the end of 3 days. I think 5 days would be even better!

Yes, this is an unusual year because the America's Cup yacht race is held in Bermuda, it will be crowded but probably have lots to do. I believe the Summit will be docked near the finish line.

We watched the yachts practicing last May from our aft balcony. We had a perfect view of the crane that took the yachts out of the water at the end of their sessions. They warehouse most of them right there by the ship from what I understand. Great place to watch the race!